Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post Reply
Xeapor
Posts: 4

Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Xeapor » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:02 am

Or is it not even being considered atm with all the other work

Ogres btw

User avatar
Redmagejoe
Posts: 432

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:38 am

There would have to be both a lore and gameplay impetus for putting in the massive amount of work that would be required to get a brand new race in the game. The question has to be answered first: What need does it fulfill?

User avatar
Pistol
Posts: 154

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Pistol » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:08 am

Especially whenever the most popular frequently requested race is already in game and more popular side things like ogres are available as illusions
Nodoba Level 50ish Hunter
Packleader (GM) of <Wolfskull Clan>
Vorick Level 60 Warrior
Member of <Shards of the Black Opal>
And numerous other characters
Editor of the Gutter

Pauloricardo
Posts: 25

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Pauloricardo » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:27 am

Xeapor wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:02 am
Or is it not even being considered atm with all the other work

Ogres btw
Lets have hope.It will be very fun the possibility to create your ogre. The problem is Who will enter for the Alliance?
My opinion, if the ogres turn a playable race so Furbolgs should be the best choice, but I think the Turtle developers should focus in one race and after some time( a year maybe) enter an Alliance race.

User avatar
Redmagejoe
Posts: 432

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:40 am

Pie in the sky. As long as you're not nagging the staff, I guess it doesn't hurt anything for these posts to be made every couple weeks.

Xeapor
Posts: 4

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Xeapor » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:56 am

Pistol wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:08 am
Especially whenever the most popular frequently requested race is already in game and more popular side things like ogres are available as illusions
The problem with the illusion is it randomises your appearance each use, rather than there being one Ogre model

I would be pretty content if they just let us choose which illusion model to use tbh

Mac
Posts: 409

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Mac » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:03 pm

Pistol wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:08 am
Especially whenever the most popular frequently requested race is already in game and more popular side things like ogres are available as illusions
High elf illusion was available in-game prior to their introduction as a proper race choice.

User avatar
Pistol
Posts: 154

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Pistol » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:09 pm

I think it'd be nice to be able to pick which ogre model the illusion gives I don't think it needs to go beyond that just to satiate the desires of the ten or so people who will play Ogres past the new car smell timeframe. Goblins are barely played as is, Ogres would require more work than Goblins and likely have even smaller appeal.
Nodoba Level 50ish Hunter
Packleader (GM) of <Wolfskull Clan>
Vorick Level 60 Warrior
Member of <Shards of the Black Opal>
And numerous other characters
Editor of the Gutter

Daikon
Posts: 1

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Daikon » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:05 pm

Playable ogres would be an interesting race to play. turtle_in_love_head

Image
Image

User avatar
Kefke
Posts: 77

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Kefke » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:17 pm

Pistol wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:09 pm
I think it'd be nice to be able to pick which ogre model the illusion gives I don't think it needs to go beyond that just to satiate the desires of the ten or so people who will play Ogres past the new car smell timeframe. Goblins are barely played as is, Ogres would require more work than Goblins and likely have even smaller appeal.
Feels like this makes some big assumptions. While looks and lore are important, mechanics are also a big factor in people's choice of race. If they offered some good racials, then people would certainly consider Ogres for more than just novelty. Not saying they should be added as a meta spec, but they can certainly be balanced to fill a gameplay niche.

User avatar
Pistol
Posts: 154

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Pistol » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:30 am

Yeah.
Nodoba Level 50ish Hunter
Packleader (GM) of <Wolfskull Clan>
Vorick Level 60 Warrior
Member of <Shards of the Black Opal>
And numerous other characters
Editor of the Gutter

User avatar
Balor
Posts: 8

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Balor » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:45 pm

Lore wise Ogres been part of the horde for a long time and rejoined the horde during WC3 with Rex, Thrall and voljin. Gameplay wise racials could be stuff from the game already like enrage and damage resist.

Karrados
Posts: 106

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Karrados » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:51 pm

Kefke wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:17 pm
Pistol wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:09 pm
I think it'd be nice to be able to pick which ogre model the illusion gives I don't think it needs to go beyond that just to satiate the desires of the ten or so people who will play Ogres past the new car smell timeframe. Goblins are barely played as is, Ogres would require more work than Goblins and likely have even smaller appeal.
Feels like this makes some big assumptions. While looks and lore are important, mechanics are also a big factor in people's choice of race. If they offered some good racials, then people would certainly consider Ogres for more than just novelty. Not saying they should be added as a meta spec, but they can certainly be balanced to fill a gameplay niche.
Not the OP but this is actually a good assumptions considering the racial spread. One could argue that Goblins had decent racials with it being a weapon skill yet they were, and probably still are, the least played race because they just don't look good.

They were even beneath Gnomes in terms of players which speaks for itself, so instead of focusing on another race that would probably end up down there next to the Goblins they should instead look into races that have working skeleton/armor models along with customization.

User avatar
Daemonicas
Posts: 8

Re: Will there ever be a new playable race?

Post by Daemonicas » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:10 pm

Ogres. But I like the classic look like that of Dire Maul. They can perform a variety of roles, be any color and wear cloth to plate armor. That said, who would be the big dog race or keep them the same size as the Tauren? Ogres are Magi. Orcs aren't. My two cp.

Post Reply