Has Turtle WoW really delivered on its bigger promises?

Thomasengine

Has Turtle WoW really delivered on its bigger promises?

Post by Thomasengine » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 am

I started playing on this server a few months ago because I saw on here the server was planning on adding:

Karazhan

Old Outland

Caverns of Time

Hyjal

Ghostlands

....all in to Vanilla.

A pretty good selling point I'd say for anyone that really enjoys Vanilla WoW yet wants more. The Turtle WoW expansion came and went and well... none of these promised features are anywhere to be seen. The developers did add new races and they get props for that at least but come on, where's the new zones, raids and dungeons?

You can't just advertise that you are adding all these things for so long and never deliver.

I believe some explaining is in order from those that ran that server as to why people should invest both their time and money there and never get what reeled them in to begin with.

I get it that it takes time to develop things but some of the mentioned content here was promised nearly two years ago and was said to be "coming soon."
Last edited by Thomasengine on Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fin

Re: Has Turtle WoW really delivered on its bigger promises?

Post by Fin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:51 am

Patience please.
Lot's of stuff has been delivered, here is the unique feature list viewtopic.php?f=2&t=728&p=3752#p3752
And lot's more stuff is on the way.
The terms of a deal you accepted are not a suggestion. Respect them: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2097

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:52 am

Thomasengine wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 am
but come on

and was said to be "coming soon."
That's what WIP means. Have patience or have your leave. There's a small chance you might want to stay and have fun instead of … this.

Choices…
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Sirgentlemangem

Post by Sirgentlemangem » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:07 am

Trust me, it's going to take a fair bit of time. This isn't your Activision Blizzard Mega Corp, these are a handful of People. Passionate people yes, but no where near the levels of people you would find working on a game from bigger companies. Besides, there's plenty of extra content to do even without the new zones, and even though we're not the Biggest community, we aren't ridiculously small and given more people join, there will be more people to play with. If you really don't want to join now that's up to you, but I would suggest staying awhile, maybe trying hardcore, or at least turtle mode if you really want something new.

Hardwelsam

Post by Hardwelsam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Im totally agreed the admin.
This is a small developer team,bringing a Fantastic gameplay for anyone.
Old outland actually wasnt ever truelly fully done.
By blizzard.
Ghostlands karazhan ,all of theese in vanilla take time to done.

Good things are never be done fast.
Patience for them

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 pm

A fair question to a professional gaming company that charges 60$ for you to play, but we don’t charge players to play.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:11 pm

I don't recall anything saying 'coming soon'. Maybe something did? IF so, and it isn't soon - just drop the damn phrase. Honesty matters. Now I say that if it has been promoted that way, but nothing stands out to me.

But as for me, I am in this for the long run. Ain't nothing substantial 'anytime soon', I know that much. THey really aren't paid employees, like BLizz. I mean, c'mon - how much time can they put into it? And hell, I have put about 2.5 yrs of BLizz subs into their bank for cute store addons/thingies. But still, so what? They owe me nothing. Nor any of us.

But that phrase 'coming soon?' If it's getting used, drop it. Just looks bad. Otherwise, the wise among us know things will come in time. The starter zones are a deep indication of this.

I have faith in the dream o' da team.

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 pm
A fair question to a professional gaming company that charges 60$ for you to play, but we don’t charge players to play.
Still, plenty of professional gaming companies with the Free To Play model which is way closer to how you guys run things.....

I think this guy's problem is with the way you announce things and then let players wait for god knows how long.... I do get that you are excited about what you do, but announcing something 3years prior to release might be a problem for some people. - then you have people asking this question - "Has Turtle WoW really delivered on its bigger promises?"

Tamamo-no-Bae

Post by Tamamo-no-Bae » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:58 pm

Rest assured we're working on the future content. It IS coming.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 am

I don't think anyone doubts that. What I'm hearing is that the presentation, how it is talked about, be considered from the standpoint of not being a 'tease'. It is a proper way to keep good faith in the player base population.

I recall Kronos - where I played for several years - and all the crap talk about TBC... So much talk. It never amounted to anything.

We know you are doing things. Please consider how you present it. That in itself is an art, and yes, sometimes it may be tough to hold things in, especially for the creative among us. Such is life.

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:10 am

I mean if you check the list of unique features on Turtle, I'm prety sure that "Work In progress", sounds better than Soon imo, cause the word "soon" makes people thing it it be delivered in near future (lets say 2 months timeframe), whereas "Work in Progress" to me seems like you guys just working on it without any specific release date / timeframe.

And I guess thats the reason why this guy is mad about you not delivering.

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:26 am

So far the developers have done lots of things to differentiate the server from a typical Vanilla WoW server. Although a 300 player population is not that big, it's also not that small and they have made sure Alliance and Horde can group together if needed to do content.

I just wish there were like 500-600 players instead so it feels more lively and hopefully attract even more people in turn.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 am

Allwynd01 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:26 am
So far the developers have done lots of things to differentiate the server from a typical Vanilla WoW server. Although a 300 player population is not that big, it's also not that small and they have made sure Alliance and Horde can group together if needed to do content.

I just wish there were like 500-600 players instead so it feels more lively and hopefully attract even more people in turn.
There's something you can do to improve this situation - spread the word. Invite friends and those who suffer Classic WoW penalties. satisfied_turtle

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:37 pm

LOL great term

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:38 am

Sinrek wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 am
Allwynd01 wrote:

There's something you can do to improve this situation - spread the word. Invite friends and those who suffer Classic WoW penalties. satisfied_turtle
When I tell my friends about the server, they say "meh, this is boring" or "meh, this sucks" and if I mention the server somewhere on the internet, I get accused of being a shill promoting a server.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:38 am

Allwynd01 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:38 am
Sinrek wrote:
Allwynd01 wrote:

When I tell my friends about the server, they say "meh, this is boring" or "meh, this sucks" and if I mention the server somewhere on the internet, I get accused of being a shill promoting a server.
Is that the same as "didn't try, I know it's bad" type?

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:58 am

Sinrek wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:38 am
Allwynd01 wrote:
Sinrek wrote:

If you're talking about the friends who play WoW that I told them about the server - yes - they don't like to think outside the box and would rather pay Activision to play and then bitch about it how bad everything is and still say how that's better than private servers.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:04 am

Allwynd01 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:58 am
Sinrek wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:38 am
Allwynd01 wrote:

If you're talking about the friends who play WoW that I told them about the server - yes - they don't like to think outside the box and would rather pay Activision to play and then bitch about it how bad everything is and still say how that's better than private servers.
Bipolarity galore… Sad. sad_turtle

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:21 am

you cant compare TWoW and Classic WoW cause the mentality is completely different ....

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Presentation does matter, I agree. But this post feels more like a "Aha, gottem" than anything else.

The focus of the expansion content we've released were High Elves and Goblins, which we did release. Granted there are some kinks and bugs that we are continuing to iron out, but I would argue those races were the big promises that we've managed to deliver.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:55 pm

how the post feels like would probably up to interpretation person to person.

To me, the message of the post is simply that you guys saying "soon" but 2 years is not "soon". So its probably more about the Presentation rather than if you delivered or not.

Kir2run4fun

Post by Kir2run4fun » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Someone probably should pin it somewhere that "soon" here usually means months. And that's just how things are here.
Doesn't mean you have nothing to do meanwhile though. But things go very slowly here in general.
Kinda agreed with Jim about the presentation point.
Marta

Derikom

Post by Derikom » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:53 am

The general sentiment just seems like you have trouble controlling your excitement about projects. Yeah, seeing the promise of new stuff on the horizon is awesome but there's been a constant world-wide convergence on immediate gratification that I think is the real problem here.

T-wow promised to release an expansion coming soon that would be in two parts, you've already had part one which was released pretty quickly by indie dev timeframes compared to its announcement, what you're really upset about is that the entire expansion isn't already playable. As far as I'm aware they've never promised even a specific timeframe on a release without sticking to it well within acceptable parameters, and they definitely never promised the second part of the expansion would come out within/near a given timeframe.