I Haven't Had This Much Fun In Years!

Breidr

I Haven't Had This Much Fun In Years!

Post by Breidr » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 am

Rewind to 2005-2007. I played WoW with my cousin and his friends. My first character was a Dwarf Hunter because I wanted to be a Dwarf Rifleman. I never made it to the end. I stopped playing this game at around level 30 because everyone else I played with outpaced me.

I've tried the game several times since then, most recently when level scaling was "new." I was leveling with my wife, but we ultimately decided that it felt "incomplete." We could do the content we wanted and quest to our hearts content, but the capstone raids weren't really being done, so it felt incomplete and unsatisfying. Just finished WotLK: "Welcome back, Azeroth got chewed up by Deathwing. Oh, that Arthas guy, I'm sure someone took care of it!" It just soured the experience. So we stopped.

We've been playing FFXIV together since that game does syncing properly and we are able to do everything. I haven't convinced her to give this a try, but with the new jobs we have and the huge amount of time we will spend apart, I might get the hook in since this can run on integrated graphics, aka, a loptop.

Fast forward to last week. I've been thinking of trying this again ever since I saw the new expansion trailers. Now that I'm going to be just doing school for the next 18 months, I've got time. I'm trying for full immersion. Hardcore Mode, Dark Nights, all that jazz. I've even set up weapon swaps for my lantern and torch.

I didn't think I was going to have this much fun, but despite it being the opposite from everything else on the market, I'm having a blast. FFXIV has a great MSQ, don't get me wrong, but it's all GO GO GO! 32 hot keys, one shot mechanics etc.

This is the total opposite, and I wish there was a bigger market for games like this. Combat feels almost like old games like Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic. I'm reading and doing all of my quests, I'm only level 12, but I haven't really looked at my XP bar once. I'm actually cooking and eating my own food. I've crafted my own gear. My trade skills are actually on level because of the slower pace. I've only done Elwynn Forest, but it doesn't even feel worn out.

I chose warrior because it was the most "mundane" class. I really feel like a citizen that responded to a call to arms. Whether I am actually going to be good at tanking is another thing, but I'll worry about that in 5 or so levels. I love all the custom quests. Can't wait to do mre, and wish more games were like this. Eyeing the shop for possible Christmas list stuff depending on what turn my characters take. When I'm done with this Alliance Character I was going to level the other side on Hardcore as well, since I've never done that.

Mikeloss

Re: I Haven't Had This Much Fun In Years!

Post by Mikeloss » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 pm

Same here! :D

Kazgrim

Re: I Haven't Had This Much Fun In Years!

Post by Kazgrim » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:41 pm

Welcome! glad youre having fun
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29