Elf racial useless crap

Steyr

Re: Elf racial useless crap

Post by Steyr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:00 pm

Moon0 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:19 am
Unfortunately there aren't many other ideas that manage to be both flavorful, lore appropriate, and balanced all the same time.
Hence my initial suggestion for spellsteal.
High elves ( and blood elves by proxy ) are supposed to be superior spellcasters (having practiced their craft for over 10.000 years), so being able to manipulate magical effects makes sense lorewise (same as enchanting bonus). At the same time ability to regenerate energy or rage doesn't suit them well logically, and, in my opinion, neither does the ability to drain magic from thin air, ever since the Sunwell was desecrated by the Scourge ( otherwise they wouldn't have that addiction problem, would they? ).

From purely technical point of view, that ability benefits all classes and it isn't overpowered. We have to remember that it's only the magical effects that can be stolen, that means the ability is only useful when countering a spellcaster, that bothers to buff himself ( which, in pve content, is about 10% of the fights ). The effect itself is hardly any different from [dispell magic] priest ability, in terms of when you can use it.

But, as I said before, I'm just posting it here as a speculation, I'm perfectly content with whatever we have at the moment (probably because my main is a human paladin).

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Moon0 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:19 am
Hello, I'm the person who made the racials what they are currently. While I welcome feedback, I do not appriciate the ideas that boil down replacing a racial with situational usefulness with a universally powerful one that completely demolishes game balance.
For what it's worth (now that I can't play anymore since the patch) ... I agree. The racial mods aren't supposed to be play defining, but rather they ought to be "flavorful" bonuses that nudge the edges of performance rather than radically relocate the balance point. That's why most racial bonuses are so relatively "weak" on the power scale.

Sultansaxophone

Post by Sultansaxophone » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 pm

[/quote]

Not every racial is useful to all classes in all situations, why would this one be any different?

[/quote]

You're right, but this racial could be a lot more interesting I think. Evocation on melee is weird and having an extra, not so great evocation on an 8 minute cooldown for caster is even weirder in my own experience.

Hunewearl

Post by Hunewearl » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:29 pm

Goblins is worse at least your racial does not stop you from attacking or casting

Sultansaxophone

Post by Sultansaxophone » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Hunewearl wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:29 pm
Goblins is worse at least your racial does not stop you from attacking or casting
That goblin racial has saved my ass many times as a warlock