Human Hunters - 6 Class Limit?

Hir3

Human Hunters - 6 Class Limit?

Post by Hir3 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:43 pm

Is the only reason we can't do Human Hunters because of the limitations of six classes in the Vanilla client?

Or is there some lore reason? Such as the Human lack of connection to Nature? I always thought of Hunters as having a weak connection to various magics but using what they can to augment their natural abilities.

Does Turtle plan to keep 6 classes per race at most?

Tobius

Re: Human Hunters - 6 Class Limit?

Post by Tobius » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:58 pm

I personally hope they add them, I would certainly level a human hunter

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:58 pm

It's a limitation of the vanilla client.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:33 am

I'd personally like to see it if we ever break the limit.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Elladar

Post by Elladar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:04 am

I'm fairly certain that was a lore choice. Its obvious that dwarves depend less on farming and more on hunting, seeing as they live in elevated areas with a lot of wildlife. Humans rely on farming more and as such have lost connexion to nature.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:10 pm

Elladar wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:04 am
I'm fairly certain that was a lore choice. Its obvious that dwarves depend less on farming and more on hunting, seeing as they live in elevated areas with a lot of wildlife. Humans rely on farming more and as such have lost connexion to nature.
Hunters in WoW aren't the nature-attuned "woodsmen" they are in either fiction, though. They're almost literally archers who can tame beasts. There's plenty of human archers, so it stands to reason they could be Hunters were it not decided that they have 6 classes at the outset. Pretty sure it wasn't a conscious choice.

Elladar

Post by Elladar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:16 pm

See the class selection description :

"Hunters know the uncharted places of the world. Gifted with a deep empathy for all life, they have an uncanny knack for befriending wild animals and taming them as pets. In addition, hunters can use their finely honed senses to become master trackers. Wherever hunters go, they fight back the ravages of sickness, exploitation, and industrialization.

Hunters are at home in the wilderness and have a special affinity for beasts. They rely on their weaponry and their pet to deal damage".

Coun

Post by Coun » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:11 pm

Elladar wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:04 am
It's not a lore choice, it's really just the client limitation.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:51 am

Hunters are just people who can domesticate animals and use a ranged weapon; obviously anyone can be a hunter. This also applies to nearly every other class while we're on the topic; mages and warlocks learn their abilities from books - anyone who can read can be a mage or warlock. Priests and paladins are given their abilities from a higher power - if you have a god(dess) or other sufficiently powerful force willing to lend you some strength, you're golden. Shamans are similar to priests and paladins, except replacing a higher power with the elements of the world around them. Warriors and rogues are the result of training (and in the rogues' case, a bit of magic - see mages and warlocks), so anyone can be a warrior or a rogue.

The only lore restricted class is druid, which is locked to male night elves only, since it's something taught directly to male night elves exclusively by Cenarius, presumably in a treehouse with a sign made in crayon on the door saying "No gerlz alloud". But tauren and female night elves can learn it, too, which means there's someone teaching the info secondhand, which means anyone can learn it.

Class limitations are not due to lore; they are a mechanical limitation that we can and should move past.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:04 am

Qixel wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:51 am
Class limitations are not due to lore; they are a mechanical limitation that we can and should move past.
Before I start this reply, I'll just say this:
There would be absolutely no point in picking a specific race if every race could be every class. Everyone who isn't "min-maxing" would just pick human, elf, or Forsaken.

Now, that said…
lore
"You just said the Secret Woid~"

Oh, that wall-of-text…
Hunters are just people who can domesticate animals and use a ranged weapon; obviously anyone can be a hunter.
While that's technically true, I'd like to see you go out, find a wild gorilla, break it, and have it do your bidding.

As an aside, why gnomes and goblins, who are all about technology and science, can be hunters is beyond me. Maybe they invented some sort of "love potion" that keeps their pets calm. Apparently, gnomes and goblins use various artificial means: gnomes use an electric taming rod and goblins use a shock collar to tame pets. (Thanks, Gheor!) And of course, there's no reason a pet boar or cat wouldn't try and eat their undead master, in my opinion. It's all kind of silly…
This also applies to nearly every other class while we're on the topic; mages and warlocks learn their abilities from books - anyone who can read can be a mage or warlock.
From a lore perspective, mages have some sort of connection with the arcane or the Twisting Nether. Some people feel it more deeply than others. Some people don't feel it at all. Some people ignore it and some people fear it. Night elves, for example, have a darn good reason to avoid arcane magic since that was part of what started the War of the Ancients. (It's a long story.) Tauren, on the other hand, just don't have a need for it.
Same goes for warlocks. Even in Age 25, a lot of people do not want to deal with demons and use fel magic. It corrupts the mind and soul of those who can't handle it. Which is exactly why gnomes can be warlocks, I suppose. They're "too smart" to be corrupted.

In any case, there's always gonna be "that one person" who decides to defy the norms and spit in the face of tradition. However, they are far and between. So, there's not a lot of reason to let them "exist" in the game.
Priests and paladins are given their abilities from a higher power - if you have a god(dess) or other sufficiently powerful force willing to lend you some strength, you're golden.
As stated above, the priests and paladins in the lore of the world do have a deep connection and commitment to The Light or the moon, or what-have-you. People who aren't particularly righteous at heart, or those who don't particularly believe in a "higher power", are not real likely to have "Light" powers. That's why gnomes and goblins can't be priests*.
(* In Vanilla and Turtle WoW.)
Inversely, Shadow powers are alleged to come from the Twisting Nether, the dark side of the moon, or just straight up negative emotion. Me, personally? I think it's a combination of things. Again, not everyone is going to be as finely attuned with these greater powers or feelings, so not everyone can sling shadow spells around all willy-nilly.
Shamans are similar to priests and paladins, except replacing a higher power with the elements of the world around them.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but… "connection". Not every person on the planet has a connection with the elements. It takes a special kind of connection to feel the Earth Mother's presence at work and to be blessed with the power of elemental magic.

And no, mages don't count. They take the elements or fake them through arcane magic.
(That's how I see it, anyway.)
Warriors and rogues are the result of training (and in the rogues' case, a bit of magic - see mages and warlocks), so anyone can be a warrior or a rogue.
These are your basic "melee" classes that have no particular skills tied to them. Naturally, anyone can pick up a sword or throw a knife. With enough practice, they may even be good at it. Rogues, however, aren't magic-users. They're "stage magicians", skilled in the art of misdirection and slight-of-hand.

Also, taurens can't be rogues. Because they would be too overpowered for people to handle. (:
The only lore restricted class is druid, which is locked to male night elves only, since it's something taught directly to male night elves exclusively by Cenarius, presumably in a treehouse with a sign made in crayon on the door saying "No gerlz alloud". But tauren and female night elves can learn it, too, which means there's someone teaching the info secondhand, which means anyone can learn it.
A lot of things changed after the Third War. For example, a handful of Druids of the Claw, Fang, and Talon decided to step up their game and become more "one with nature". These druids became "Druids of the Wild", and that prestige class is the one implemented into World of Warcraft.
As for why females can be druids? Well… I honestly don't know. From what I can gather, it was just a matter of "societal roles" – females were the hunter-gatherers, warriors, and the like while males were the ones who slept in the Emerald Dream. Supposedly, this divide was actually enforced a long while before the Third War (and the appearance of night elves in the games), though it stayed largely the same up until Age 25 when, surprise-surprise, more males decided to pick up arms and more females decided to take up the ways of the druid.
To be fair, there is a female archdruid in Alterac Valley. She's supposedly best friends with Malfurion Stormrage, so I guess everything's all fine-and-dandy, there. It just seems like senseless shoehorning, to me. (Like Thrall's "wifey" in Cataclysm.)

There's never been any real explanation as to why or how taurens can be druids. According to some lore, they and night elves have been in communication for "tens of thousands of years", so I imagine their love of nature brought them together to exchange cultures and whatnot. Apparently, tauren didn't have any "gender roles" in their culture, either… I dunno.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that. Thank you for your time, anyone who reads this mess.
Last edited by Jolikmc on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:01 am

Jolikmc wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:04 am
Qixel wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:51 am
There would be absolutely no point in picking a specific race if every race could be every class. Everyone who isn't "min-maxing" would just pick human, elf, or Forsaken.

Now, that said…
lore
"You just said the Secret Woid~"

Oh, that wall-of-text…
Hunters are just people who can domesticate animals and use a ranged weapon; obviously anyone can be a hunter.
While that's technically true, I'd like to see you go out, find a wild gorilla, break it, and have it do your bidding.

As an aside, why gnomes and goblins, who are all about technology and science, can be hunters is beyond me. Maybe they invented some sort of "love potion" that keeps their pets calm. And of course, there's no reason a pet boar or cat wouldn't try and eat their undead master, in my opinion. It's all kind of silly…
This also applies to nearly every other class while we're on the topic; mages and warlocks learn their abilities from books - anyone who can read can be a mage or warlock.
From a lore perspective, mages have some sort of connection with the arcane or the Twisting Nether. Some people feel it more deeply than others. Some people don't feel it at all. Some people ignore it and some people fear it. Night elves, for example, have a darn good reason to avoid arcane magic since that was part of what started the War of the Ancients. (It's a long story.) Tauren, on the other hand, just don't have a need for it.
Same goes for warlocks. Even in Age 25, a lot of people do not want to deal with demons and use fel magic. It corrupts the mind and soul of those who can't handle it. Which is exactly why gnomes can be warlocks, I suppose. They're "too smart" to be corrupted.

In any case, there's always gonna be "that one person" who decides to defy the norms and spit in the face of tradition. However, they are far and between. So, there's not a lot of reason to let them "exist" in the game.
Priests and paladins are given their abilities from a higher power - if you have a god(dess) or other sufficiently powerful force willing to lend you some strength, you're golden.
As stated above, the priests and paladins in the lore of the world do have a deep connection and commitment to The Light or the moon, or what-have-you. People who aren't particularly righteous at heart, or those who don't particularly believe in a "higher power", are not real likely to have "Light" powers. That's why gnomes and goblins can't be priests*.
Inversely, Shadow powers are alleged to come from the Twisting Nether, the dark side of the moon, or just straight up negative emotion. Me, personally? I think it's a combination of things. Again, not everyone is going to be as finely attuned with these greater powers or feelings, so not everyone can sling shadow spells around all willy-nilly.
Shamans are similar to priests and paladins, except replacing a higher power with the elements of the world around them.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but… "connection". Not every person on the planet has a connection with the elements. It takes a special kind of connection to feel the Earth Mother's presence at work and to be blessed with the power of elemental magic.

And no, mages don't count. They take the elements or fake them through arcane magic.
Warriors and rogues are the result of training (and in the rogues' case, a bit of magic - see mages and warlocks), so anyone can be a warrior or a rogue.
These are your basic "melee" classes that have no particular skills tied to them. Naturally, anyone can pick up a sword or throw a knife. With enough practice, they may even be good at it. Rogues, however, aren't magic-users. They're "stage magicians", skilled in the art of misdirection and slight-of-hand.

Also, taurens can't be rogues. Because they would be too overpowered for people to handle. (:
A lot of things changed after the Third War. For example, a handful of Druids of the Claw, Fang, and Talon decided to step up their game and become more "one with nature". These druids became "Druids of the Wild", and that prestige class is the one implemented into World of Warcraft.
As for why females can be druids? Well… I honestly don't know. From what I can gather, it was just a matter of "societal roles" – females were the hunter-gatherers, warriors, and the like while males were the ones who slept in the Emerald Dream. Supposedly, this divide was actually enforced a long while before the Third War (and the appearance of night elves in the games), though it stayed largely the same up until Age 25 when, surprise-surprise, more males decided to pick up arms and more females decided to take up the ways of the druid.
To be fair, there is a female archdruid in Alterac Valley. She's supposedly best friends with Malfurion Stormrage, so I guess everything's all fine-and-dandy, there. It just seems like senseless shoehorning, to me. (Like Thrall's "wifey" in Cataclysm.)

There's never been any real explanation as to why or how taurens can be druids. According to some lore, they and night elves have been in communication for "tens of thousands of years", so I imagine their love of nature brought them together to exchange cultures and whatnot. Apparently, tauren didn't have any "gender roles" in their culture, either… I dunno.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that. Thank you for your time, anyone who reads this mess.

Level a Goblin, or look up their quest in the database.

Actually I'll save you some time.

Love potion? No, not really.

More like shock collar.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:56 pm

Jolikmc wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:04 am
Yes, which is why non-human warriors don't exist. Literally none. Gnome warriors are a myth, and certainly were not half the warriors during MC progression.
I'd like to see you go out and slay a dragon. It's a fantasy game, and our characters are better at *everything* than real people, bro.

Warlocks as a class defy norms and spit in the face of tradition, and are thus far and between. Better remove them from the game.
Ah, yes, the monoliths of the world; all gnomes are the same, right? Just like how every human is a devout follower of the Light, even while summoning demons and engaging in robbery. There is absolutely no reason a gnome could not learn about and worship the Light. There are scientists in real life who believe in gods, and they have much less tangible evidence for their existence than the Light does in Azeroth.

Ah, yes, you need a connection to the planet that humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, and undead just don't have. You know who does, though? A race of literal aliens who tried to destroy the planet they invaded. They have a connection. As you pointed out in your point against priests and paladins, after all, the orcs are, one and all, bloodthirsty monsters who crave destruction.

Stealth is canonically shadow magic. That's why you can stand right in front of someone and go unnoticed; even in a fantasy setting, no one is so sneaky they can just walk right past someone standing guard without being caught. There's limits.

The race with 10,000 years of tradition that even now shuns magic because of those same traditions dropped it in the past 5 years because things changed? How convenient, guess that means they can be mages. It's an asspull, plain and simple, but it's also as pure a case you can make against lore being a restriction. If the Night Elves can drop 10,000 years of tradition (and to clarify, it's not 10,000 years of tradition as real life would have it; it's 10,000 years that they've been alive for the entire time - basically 99% of their entire lifespan has been held with these beliefs) and start teaching women to be druids and men to be priests, let alone teaching "inferior races" like the tauren (remember, the night elves were xenophobic as hell due to being intensely isolationist, again, for 10,000 years), then anyone can change.

Hir3

Post by Hir3 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:53 am

Qixel you are sort of using New Blizzard's justifications, which is that if anything is possible, it should be possible. Turtle WoW is attempting to emulate a period of the game that was entrenched in an Old Era DnD and (yes) Heavy Metal set of themes. One of these was that decisions matter, and the story overtakes personal choice. You are not playing any random Human, you are specifically playing the set of Stormwind humans presented to you, bounded by some common theme. Admittedly, Blizzard broke this theme in Vanilla somewhat, and while I believe we should have human hunters, this is not an argument for them, but an argument for taking a step back and asking ourselves why they can be Warlocks, for example.

Kyzen

Post by Kyzen » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:56 pm

I thought the 6 class limitation was "fixed". unhappy_turtle
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3283

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:01 pm

Hir3 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:53 am
Qixel you are sort of using New Blizzard's justifications, which is that if anything is possible, it should be possible. Turtle WoW is attempting to emulate a period of the game that was entrenched in an Old Era DnD and (yes) Heavy Metal set of themes. One of these was that decisions matter, and the story overtakes personal choice. You are not playing any random Human, you are specifically playing the set of Stormwind humans presented to you, bounded by some common theme. Admittedly, Blizzard broke this theme in Vanilla somewhat, and while I believe we should have human hunters, this is not an argument for them, but an argument for taking a step back and asking ourselves why they can be Warlocks, for example.
I don't care whose viewpoint aligns with mine, races as a monolith is bad writing and defending it is dumb. Why not go further? Remove fury and arms from warrior, because warriors were intended by 2004 Blizzard to tank. Options are bad because New Blizzard likes options and New Blizzard is bad, reeeeee.

Toyawolf

Post by Toyawolf » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:31 pm

I think more than one person on the forums has removed that limitation of 6. Apparently the real hard-coded limit is 8 not 6. For 8 to fit one just has to extend the ui for the space.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:40 pm

Human hunter is not very bases imo

But forsaken paladin and Dwarf shaman, not that would be groundbreaking

Hir3

Post by Hir3 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:13 pm

Qixel wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:01 pm
Hir3 wrote:
I don't care whose viewpoint aligns with mine, races as a monolith is bad writing and defending it is dumb. Why not go further? Remove fury and arms from warrior, because warriors were intended by 2004 Blizzard to tank. Options are bad because New Blizzard likes options and New Blizzard is bad, reeeeee.
That's not what it is at all. There is a specific period of the game Turtle is trying to emulate, and that emulation process only remains in tact with a particular design philosophy. There are arguments for the restrictions that fall in line with this philosophy and re-creating the feel of that period. You might not like it, but race restrictions area defining hallmark of the genre at the time. The fact that you're arguing this way shows me all of your lore justifications can be discarded entirely because they're 100% based in your cosmetic preferences, twisting the words of class descriptions to fit that. This is opposed to putting yourself in a community and world where the rules take precedence. If you don't like it, I'm sorry but this is not the server for you - Your disagreement is on fundamental design.

The whole warrior thing is a complete strawman and you should see why that is so.

Hir3

Post by Hir3 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Geojak wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:40 pm
Human hunter is not very bases imo

But forsaken paladin and Dwarf shaman, not that would be groundbreaking
No - Forsaken paladins are lorewise impossible, and Dwarf Shamans did not exist in the structure of the WoW lore era Turtle is trying to follow.

Captainslapster

Post by Captainslapster » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:30 pm

There was never a six class limit. Even in vanilla files the limit is 8. i imagine you can increase that. i'd know because i created a class and showed it off in discord earlier in the month. It took me 10 hours to figure it out, but it works.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:38 pm

Hir3 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:13 pm
Qixel wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:01 pm
Hir3 wrote:
That's not what it is at all. There is a specific period of the game Turtle is trying to emulate, and that emulation process only remains in tact with a particular design philosophy. There are arguments for the restrictions that fall in line with this philosophy and re-creating the feel of that period. You might not like it, but race restrictions area defining hallmark of the genre at the time. The fact that you're arguing this way shows me all of your lore justifications can be discarded entirely because they're 100% based in your cosmetic preferences, twisting the words of class descriptions to fit that. This is opposed to putting yourself in a community and world where the rules take precedence. If you don't like it, I'm sorry but this is not the server for you - Your disagreement is on fundamental design.

The whole warrior thing is a complete strawman and you should see why that is so.
It's cute that you think a guy who has been around for literal years and progressed every raid on the server is not invested in it, but, please, continue to speculate baselessly about me. Emulating a period of WoW does not mean blindly embracing everything Blizzard did at the time - if it did, Turtle would have remained blizzlike instead of introducing Survival, Disguise, Khadgar's Unlocking, Plainsrunning, The Mirage Raceway, several custom quests, raid sclaing, and more, and that's just within the first year I was here; the server has deviated even more since. Although the server has arguably shifted its priority away, Turtle WoW began as a roleplaying server - freedom of choice is a hallmark of the server, and I will continue to vouch for the expansion of that ideal. You can take your cries of "this is not the server for you", and kindly shove them in the trash with the rest of your arguments.

Hir3

Post by Hir3 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:15 pm

So what I think might be happening here is conflating inspired change with any change at all. Especially when some of those features were pulled right from Blizzard's original design.

It's not about blindly following what Blizzlike is; No one is arguing that. It's about developing on the original intentions and approach. And then moving forward with that guiding philosophy to give the game a cohesive, spirited design.

Misargiride

Post by Misargiride » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:53 pm

Hir3 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:15 pm
Dwarf Shamans did not exist in the structure of the WoW lore era Turtle is trying to follow.
Not technically true: Wildhammer Dwarves always had a shamanistic culture, and Turtle literally allows you to make a Wildhammer Dwarf at the creation screen.
I think the reason is more "Shaman must remain Horde exclusive because they are the shamanistic faction", more than a problem with Dwarves in particular (IIRC when the restriction was lifted, all Alliance-aligned Shaman trainers were Draenei or Wildhammer Dwarves precisely because of this).

Hir3

Post by Hir3 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:13 am

I don't think the Shaman lore for Wildhammer is quite the elemental, tribal shamanism seen in Horde races. Their race is incredibly naturalistic, true, but it's very much an Alliance faction with the Holy Light, etc. They're meant to mimic the Scottish Highlanders in a way; Not really shamanistic but out in the wilds, maybe jumping around with some nature magic. But I wouldn't call that true shamanism.