What can be done before accepting Hardcore at level 1?

Raffix

What can be done before accepting Hardcore at level 1?

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:07 am

I'm still level 1

I know that "Your bags, bank and mail items will be erased once you turn mortal."

I heard I could buy my bank slots in advance, I didn't buy the last one at 100g, but i think 5 bags until 60 is very doable, it did cost about 90g.

I also got all my stable slots unlocked, I'll be playing a Hunter.

I got First aid up to 225, but I think I'll lose all my bandages and will have to get new ones on my own.

I visited all the weapon master for weapon skills.

I'm about to use my hearthstone to get back to the starting area and get the quest done from mysterious stranger.

Oh, I will also be doing the Hardcore challenge with Slow & Steady for extra bags and fashion coins. I intend to level very, very slowly to be safe.

I already took Herbalism and will most likely go Alchemy.

Did I forget anything that I can do before I start playing Hardcore?
Last edited by Raffix on Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taranan

Re: What can be done before accepting Hardcore at level 1?

Post by Taranan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:34 am

In the spirit of Vanilla hardcore community, you're encouraged to play however you want in whatever custom challenges you'd like.

But just FYI pretty much all of what you listed is generally frowned upon by hardcore purists, but again, refer to first point.

TurtleWow isn't official or "kosher" hardcore anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Good luck on your hardcore journey!

Raffix

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:29 am

Ok, thanks for your opinion Taranan.

For anyone else finding this in the future. I'm now level 5. I did lose all my items, bags and bandages as expected.

But I still have my 5 bank slots and all my stable slots. Also, I still have herbalism, all my weapon skills and 225 First aid.

I notice that I also kept all the gear I had on me, so maybe next time I'll get a fiery lvl 1 weapon or some enchants to help at lower levels.

If anyone reads this and have anything to add that I might have missed, please post it here for anyone to find.

Chuxter

Post by Chuxter » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:06 am

Could try buffing yourself with scrolls/pots before talking to the mysterious stranger.

Im curious, did items in your bank disappear?

Raffix

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:33 pm

Yes everything disappears even quest items and your hearthstone.

I had to abandon that quest with the lost item and I only got a new hearthstone once I exited the starting area at around level 6.

The only thing I got to keep was the gear I had equipped including the guild tabard that change from a green turtle from <Newcomers> to the small kitty from <Still Alive>, my 6 slot ammo pouch and whatever ammunition I had left in there.

I did test some bags on me and in my bank, even an herb pouch, they all disappeared except for my ammo pouch.

I don't think buffs and scrolls at level 1 would help really. And even enchants on level 1 gear seems unnecessary since it's so easy at low levels anyway.

I do have an addon I got specifically for Hardcore called "MouseOverSounds" that basically plays a sound if I mouseover any mobs above my level, specifically if elite like those pesky "Son of Arugal" outside Sepulcher, or "Stitches" & "Mor'Ladim" in Duskwood. The sounds are different if it 1 or 2 or 3 levels above me. really useful to make sure you don't get into a deadly situation.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:39 pm

Wow. You are actually being serious. When I read your first post I thought you were just hating and listing exploits.

Raffix

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:04 pm

The reason is posted is because I found that information hard to come by.

This is my first Hardcore on Turtle WoW, I'm trying to mostly maximize my chances at reaching level 60 Immortal.

I know it will take a lot more. Specially on a custom server where I've seen deaths just for walking on new terrain and getting fall damage somehow. My biggest fear is to die of natural causes like a big fall or stuck underwater.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Honestly that seems like a lot of effort for a hardcore character. I tried holding off for the longest time but I just donated to turtlewow and bought a 28 slot bag when I start my hardcore character

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Raffix wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:04 pm
The reason is posted is because I found that information hard to come by.

This is my first Hardcore on Turtle WoW, I'm trying to mostly maximize my chances at reaching level 60 Immortal.

I know it will take a lot more. Specially on a custom server where I've seen deaths just for walking on new terrain and getting fall damage somehow. My biggest fear is to die of natural causes like a big fall or stuck underwater.
Yes, I saw u were serious in the last post. The easiest way to cheese it is however not by maximizing your bag/bank space. This might be nice, but not going to help u survive. If you want to cheese it, u multibox with a high lvl following u and put up with the hate you are going to get from others by doing it.

OR

Play it as it was intended and enjoy it. Do not try to cheat it. Reaching 60 will come naturally when u get used to playing HC. Even if it is not on the 1st try.

Best way to stay alive is to ask ppl before u head somewhere about pitfalls in the area u are heading to. Do some research before u go wherever u want to go next.

Raffix

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:17 pm

Yeah, as mentioned before, I'll be playing very slowly as a Hunter.

Most likely doing zones a little under my level, going everywhere in the world, using Hunter tricks to survive, doing a lot of grinding, working all secondary professions, take advantage of tanking pet, maybe even group with some other my levels.

By the way, my pet can die right? I can use revive pet? Right :-D

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:18 pm

Raffix wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:17 pm

Most likely doing zones a little under my level, going everywhere in the world, using Hunter tricks to survive, doing a lot of grinding, working all secondary professions, take advantage of tanking pet, maybe even group with some other my levels.

U can revive the pet, unless u self impose a challenge with a mortal pet. I have done that before. It is fun.

Raffix

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:22 pm

Yeah, I can see the appeal and understand the place of such a challenge with Hardcore characters.

Pet die, abandon pet, and go tame a new one. Every other Hunter is basically using a Zombie at this point.

Gives a whole new meaning to pet loyalty too. Must be hard to reach loyalty level 6.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:25 pm

Raffix wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:17 pm

Here is my advice.

Don’t try to sneak/run past mobs to save time. It will only result in death.

Don’t try and kill an elite/higher level just because. It will only result in death.

If you look at a group of 3 mobs and you think “hmmmm, I think I could probably pull it off”. Don’t. It will only result in death.

Oh also, if you do find yourself in a sticky situation, stay calm. Make the quick decision to fight or flight. Sometimes running is not the best option.

Raffix

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Oh yeah, I already noticed while doing the starting area that I was being super cautious and really avoided packs, or tried to pull them apart.

This is why we all play Hardcore, to feel the danger, to know it's real. It makes us play better too.

Some people are so careless in Non-HC content.

Also, I don't think I would do dungeons in HC without voice chat. I'll see.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:40 pm

Raffix wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:34 pm
Oh yeah, I already noticed while doing the starting area that I was being super cautious and really avoided packs, or tried to pull them apart.

This is why we all play Hardcore, to feel the danger, to know it's real. It makes us play better too.

Some people are so careless in Non-HC content.

Also, I don't think I would do dungeons in HC without voice chat. I'll see.
Voice chat in dungeons - yes, very much recommended.
Playing too safely all the time - not so much. U need to learn how to react in dangerous situations. U need those habits. If u never use your "oh shit" buttons, u will not have the instinct to use them, when u need them. This often results in losing HC chars in the mid/high lvls.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:46 pm

People avoid dungeons for whatever reason. With a group of 5 HC it’s hard to wipe because no one is doing stupid shit

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:52 pm

I routinely do dungeons and they're quite safe without voice chat. In fact, the worst dungeon experience I heard involved voice. The healer said, "Oh shit, oh shit," throughout the whole thing. That made it stressful for everyone. A less stressful (and safer) experience can be had by just overleveling for dungeons. For example, Deadmines and Wailing Caverns are generally done at 22+. Some people lowball dungeons and pay the price. I've been invited to group with some people and declined when I saw what levels were being accepted. And then I've seen the death notices. It's happened more than once, but not in the never in the dungeon groups I've been part of. So it all depends on the players. A well coordinated team generally doesn't need voice but instead simply communicates roles from the start.

Also, dungeons are generally safer than the open world if you follow these kinds of guidelines for dungeoning. This is because all the npcs in dungeons are known or can be known beforehand. The open world, on the other hand, has rare wandering elites, dangerous respawns (with some people dying to rare elites respawning on top of them), and a lot more dangerous bugs to potentially encounter. All my deaths, and there have been a decent number of them, were from the open world but never dungeons, despite running dungeons often multiple times each day.

Raffix

Post by Raffix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Sadly, I got unlucky with my choice of day to play Hardcore. I'm still updating the game at the moment.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:57 pm

Raffix wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:56 pm
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Sadly, I got unlucky with my choice of day to play Hardcore. I'm still updating the game at the moment.
i highly doubt this affects HC more than normal :P

Yngvar

Post by Yngvar » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:18 am

Nice info! Thank you!