Alternate classes

Fhianna

Alternate classes

Post by Fhianna » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:54 pm

I tend to like having open possibilities for my charcater, so I thought classes around having more specs.

You unlock your first spec at level 10, then you get a quest every 10 levels to unlock another spec, ending at level 60 with 6 specs to choose from.

In your talents window, you choose which spec is going to be your main and you add a secondary in which you can put your extra talent points.

A shame I did not find a good spot for Elune's Moon Archers, as I do not really see them with the Church of Light.

I really like the idea of questing to unlock specs as it adds to each class fantasy.

Man at Arms
Plate
Warden (tank)
Huscarl (hybrid tank/dps weapon and shield)
Champion (melee dps 2-hander)
Mail
Berzerker (melee dps 2 weapons)
Skirmisher (range dps throwing weapons) Troll axethrower anybody?
Gunner (range dps - long gun and blunderbuss to AoE)

Church of the Light
Plate
Avenger (melee dps 2-hander)
Protector (tank)
Mail
BattlePriest (hybrid healer/dps)
Leather
Fanatic (melee dps weapon and torch)
Cloth
Cleric (Healer)
Inquisitor (range dps)

Cult of the Shadows
Plate
Dark Knight (tank 2-hander)
Harbinger (melee dps 2 weapons)
Leather
Executionner (melee dps 2 weapons)
Cloth
Mender (Healer)
Mindrender (range dps)
Hexer (hybrid debuffer/range dps)

Keepers of the Wilds
Leather
Druid of the Claw (melee dps)
Druid of the Den (tank)
BeastMaster (range dps) I think the beastmaster is more at home with druids
Cloth
Wellkeeper (healer)
Grovewarden (caster dps)

Shamen
Mail
Earthwarden (tank)
Leather
Stormbringer (melee dps 2 weapons)
Fireborn (range dps)
Water (healer)
Spiritist (hybrid buffer/ range dps) Invoke ancestor spirits to help
Fel shaman (range dps) I must say I prefer the idea of fel shamen rather than warlocks for orcs.

Mages
Cloth
Pyromancer (range dps)
Frostguard (hybrid offtank/dps) close range AoEs and frost shields to tank
Arcanist (range dps)
Seer (healer) use time knowledge to prevent damage and undo it.
Warlock (range dps)
Necromancer (range dps)

Wanderers
Mail
Survivalist (melee dps hast weapon)
Thug (hybrid tank/melee dps)
Leather
Gunslinger (2 handguns dps)
Rogue (melee dps)
Apothecary (hybrid healer/dps) bringing the best concoctions to the battlefield
Marksman (range dps)

Xantros

Re: Alternate classes

Post by Xantros » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:58 pm

Interesting ideas. I have some observations:
To me the Gunner and Marksman seems like the same, unless that one uses the bow/crossbow.
Spiritist sounds like a strange name. Why not Spiritwalker. There was a unit like that in Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne.
Also on the topic of Shamans, I believe the reason why the fel orcs have warlocks is because lore wise, you are cut off from the elements if you use fel magic due to corruption. Only other way to be like an evil shaman is if you enslave the elemental beings and force them to fight instead of calling upon them for aid. Fel magic corrupts the land, I doubt the elementals would want to help you out like that. And the healer is just called ... Water? Why not Tidecaller like the murlocs have or something.

Zokatar

Post by Zokatar » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:15 pm

This sounds a lot like Ascension WoW only more limiting and without all the systems they added to boost any build you could think of. Can't really say that this idea is any original due to that, but overall I like it enough that it passes in my book. Question however, how would role distribution work? This game is based around the Holy Trinity as you know, and if Everyone can essentially be a tank or healer, there would be a problem in picking out people you want in a group as you wouldn't know completely what setup they went with.

This was solved in Ascension by making talents the same with some tweaks here and there, but at least they were recognizable at a glance, and you would know what kind of player they were from that alone. Here it's not as clear cut, unless I missed something while reading this post. Solve that and you would have a pretty fun server in your hand if it ever was created!
Paladin or nothing! Just as it should be...

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:19 am

I think Bard and Necromancer are two classes that the majority of the WoW playerbase has been asking for over 15 years.

Personally, I would like to see a class that's something like LOTRO's Minstrel that deals mainly in buffs and debuffs and has two weapons - a lute and a sword. Lute is the ranged weapon used for buffs and debuffs and the sword is for the melee attacks.

WoW never had a class that is focused on buffs and debuffs and I think this can make things a lot more interesting.

Another class that nobody can go wrong with is Pirate or Privateer, the name isn't exactly importnat. Dual wields swords or daggers and has a rifle, or crossbow, but can't use bow. I uses the Gambit system for combat like the Warden from LOTRO.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Warden ... _Reference

Fhianna

Post by Fhianna » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:19 am

Thank you for your answers.

Xantros
- For the Gunner/Marksman : I see the gunner like a closer range dps weaving long range single shots with closer AoE (rifle as your ranged weapon and the blunderbuss taking a two-handed melee weapon slot with which you can do melee attacks and AoE cones) while the marksman is more single target control archer.
- Spiritwalker : yeah, way better name, and I found it really sad that this aspect of the shaman experience is not ingame.
- Fel shaman : you are right about the losing of contact with the elements. As I saw it with one main spec tree getting about 51 talent points and a secondary tree getting 10 points, it would main spec Fel, a shaman having just residual link to the elements, or secondary fel spec, a shaman starting to lose his/her way for power.
- Water : duh, I need to do a better job rereading myself. Like the Tidecaller idea.

Zokatar
- I do not know a lot about ascension.
- The main idea for me is fo the player to have more options of roles on one character while keeping a main focus on your class. You cannot be a priest and a mage at the same time, but as a priest or mage, you can take different specs to occupy different roles. As WoW is now, you have 3 options , here when 60 and having done all the quests to unlock specs, you have 6 options while staying in the same class fantasy.
- You would still hava a spec. For exemple : You decide to play a Man-at-Arms. at level 10, you unlock your first spec and start putting talent points in it. At level 20, you quest to unlock a second spec of your choice. from level 20 onwards, you can respec to change your main and secondary talent trees if you decide to change your role.

Allwynd
- Oh yeah, having bard as one of the wanderer specs would have been a great idea. Maybe remove apothecary (too close to a profession) and have Bard in its place as hybrid buffer dps.
- Necromancer is in the mage class, I liked the idea of having the forbidden knowledge specs, Warlock (fel) and Necromancer (shadow) in the class while keeping them in the class fantasy, they are just mages having gone astray from the accepted fields of research.
- I must say I see the Thug and Gunslinger as piraty/roguish type of specs. The Thug more on the brawn side, and the gunslinger more on the flashy side.
- I agree with you that WoW missed something by not making more of the hybrid classes, that is why I put quite a few hybrid specs. I see them as a fun idea for people who like to have a more active role in the group, For ex. a Battlepriest would dps then switch to helping the healer if things go south, and later a well geared Battlepriest could take on a full healer role in a group setting maybe.

I just realized that there are only 5 specs in Keepers of the Wilds. If you have any idea about that 6th spec, feel free to tell us.

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:58 am

The Necromancer in the Mage class?
I am not well versed in lore etc. but to me it seems that the class who would raise the dead would be something (un)holy. So that would be the Priest class, wouldn't it?
A BAD Priest. Very bad.
They already have their Shadow-side.

Fhianna

Post by Fhianna » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:14 am

Mantigora
- Actually Kel'Thuzad était un puissant archimage du Kirin Tor qui se mit au service du Roi-liche. Il forma le Culte des Damnés et enseigna la nécromancie à nombreux serviteurs du Fléau.
- As well, the Cult of Shadow here is around the void, and undeads are resistant to its influence.

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:11 am

I understand (even though it was en Français).
It is just that I think it is strange that they have raising the dead in the Mage class, even in the lore.

Fhianna

Post by Fhianna » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:35 am

yeah, It can be strange, but you could say the same about fire/ice using in a world where there are elemental spirits and shamen.

And sorry for the quote in french, did not pay attention to the langage when I copied it.

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:49 pm

The one class I want added is spellbreaker, I imagine it'd play like a warrior/paladin hybrid that sacrifices healing for silence, mana burn and an anti magic shield. Their trees would be:

Support and crowed control
Tank
DPS

And I imagine they'd have a passive buff that turned int into melee attack power and a tanking buff that increased armour by 200% of your current int.

The horde could have this class through undead elves training the other races.

Fhianna

Post by Fhianna » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:59 pm

It is true that having racial classes would be nice.

A human warrior's style is different from an orc's.

Having classes tailored for each race would be fantastic.