Cronicles of Azeroth

Ironpanda

Cronicles of Azeroth

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:20 pm

I'm starting a new thread for my Cronicles of Azeroth series. The tales of my forsaken rogue, Garmick, will continue here, as well as the journeys of the other characters I plan to do. Don't expect it to be SUPER organized, cause I don't want to start a new thread for every character. But I'll do my best to make it clear which characters and chapters the story involves. Feedback, both positive and negative, is of course, greatly appreciated. This is mostly for fun, but also just I think a good project to practice my writing on, so feel more than welcome to nitpick!

Ironpanda

Re: Cronicles of Azeroth

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:23 pm

Adventures of Ghalresh and Jah'tan (Orc and Troll) - Chapter 1: Your Place in the world

The sun beat down in the valley of trials as the wagon’s creaking came to a stop with a sudden bump. Ghalresh awoke suddenly, “Hurry, mon. We be dere already.” A tall, blue skinned troll with fiery red hair shook Ghalresh’s shoulder. Ghalresh looked past the troll to see a handful of young orcs and trolls, just like them, climbing out of the hide-covered wagon. Ghalresh grabbed his pack and rose. The troll grinned, though it was hard to immediately tell between the skull tattoo that spread across his face and his two, massive tusks. “Dere ya go. Don’t want to be late to your own trials, do ya?”

Ghalresh grunted as he followed the troll out. The orc paused as he climbed off the wagon to look around. He smiled. Many would see Durotar as a barren wasteland. But Ghalresh could see life everywhere in the red sands of the desert. The wagon began to turn back to leave the valley, and Ghalresh could see a large, open area near a nearby cliff, surrounded in a semi-circle by a large cliff. Tents were set up beneath the outcroppings in the shade, and a cave leading into the cliff had been fortified and turned into a mine. A red flag with a symbol for the horde flapped in the wind nearby.

Ghalresh began towards the cave when an orc approached him. The orc grinned as he looked up from a clipboard. “Finally you are of age, Ghalresh… of age to battle in the name of the horde. To conquer for the glory of the Warchief!” The orc clapped Ghalresh on the shoulders. Eyeing him up and down. “Yes… you will do well, I think.” Ghalresh nodded, and pounded his fist to his chest in salute.
“Thank you. I’m eager to begin my trials. Where do I-” Ghalresh began, but was cut off by a raspy chuckle from the older orc.

“Oh, eager are you? Something to prove? No doubt you wish to find a great dragon or a demon and strangle it with your bare hands, but perhaps it would be wise to start on something less… dangerous.” The orc laughed, clapping Ghalresh on the back once again, “You report to Gornek, he should be able to assign a task better suited to a young shaman. You’ll find him in the den. Over there.” He pointed to the cave. Ghalresh nodded and the other orc turned to the next trial goer. The cave was a short walk away. An opening had been built into it with bone, wood, and hide. Maybe it had been a mine at one point, but no longer. It had long been tapped dry, and now it was being used to house the trial-goers, the teachers, and the guards.

Ghalresh walked past the guards stationed just inside, noticing immediately the drop in temperature compared to outside. An orc in simple garb sharpened an axe made from wood and flint. He looked up and nodded, “You Ghalresh?” Ghalresh nodded.

“I was told to report to Gornek? Is that you?”

“Another one of Kaltunk’s recruits, hrm?” Gornek eyed Ghalresh up and down with a frown. “A sorry state of affairs we find ourselves in if this is the best the Horde can produce.” Ghalresh frowned. “No matter. By the time we think you’re ready to leave the Valley, you’ll be a proud shaman of the horde!” Gornek grinned. “Are you ready to get started?”

Ironpanda

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:26 pm

Adventures of Ghalresh and Jah'tan (Orc and Troll) - Chapter 2: Cutting Teeth
“The first order of business is to put a little strength in your backbone. I could send you out to the Barrens to hunt kodo, but well, in all honesty you’re more useful to us alive than dead.” Gornek stroked his long, braided beard for a moment. Then smiled. “I believe you would find a good match with the mottled boars to the north of here. Collect as much meat as you can. It’ll be your food for the duration of the trials.” Ghalresh saluted, and turned to leave.

Once he left the encampment, the boars weren’t difficult to find. It seems they were bred here and left to wander the valley. Possibly for this very purpose. Whatever the reason for them being so plentiful, Ghalresh was grateful. While Ghalresh could appreciate having to hunt his own meals, he was eager to begin the actual trials, and become a full fledged shaman. Ghalresh continued into the valley, until he spotted a boar rooting around near a patch of cactus nearby. The boar seemingly hadn’t noticed him yet. Ghalresh crept low and made a wide circle around the cactus patch until he had a good view of the boar.

Might as well try. He thought to himself, recalling some of the things his father had taught him about shamanism. “Feel the elements around you. You cannot control them. Call out to them. ask for their aid, and let them flow through you.” He heard him say as he closed his eyes and focused. Suddenly, the orc felt power. He looked at his hands, and saw electricity crackling from them. He smiled, he’d done it! But it was still too early to celebrate. He threw his hands out, and the electricity left in the form of a ball, slamming into the boar’s hindquarters and sending it flying into the cracked earth and seperating it from it’s meal.

The boar scrambled to it’s feet and charged angrily at Ghalresh. The orc blinked for a second, suprised the animal chose fight over flight. He reached behind his back and grabbed a wooden shield, holding it up in time to deflect the boar’s charge as he moved to the side. He reached to his belt and grabbed a small, rusted flanged mace. As the boar charged again, the orc brought his shield forward, slamming it into the beast as it lept towards him. After stopping the charge, Ghalresh brought a muscular green arm down, slamming the mace into the top of the boar’s head and killing it with one powerful blow. The orc put his shield and his weapon away, and got to work at skinning and gutting the boar.

Deciding to get a few more, he headed further north into the valley. As he reached the top of a hill, he saw fighting below. A female orc and a troll were surrounded by several boars at the bottom of the hill. The troll Ghalresh recognized as the one who woke him when the wagon arrived, but the orc was a stranger. The troll swung his spear out as a boar charged, grazing it’s side and forcing it back. The orc brought her battle-axe down, catching and downing one of the boars.

The two seemed to be holding their own fairly well, but there were still three more boars. Ghalresh called upon the elements as best he could, and felt the energy flowing through him once again as he slid down the hill. He reached the bottom and threw a ball of lighting at one of the startled boars. This one was more powerful than the last, and caught the boar in the side; killing it instantly. The troll took that moment to run his spear through the boar he was facing and let out a loud whoop. The final boar, realizing his chances, perhaps, turned and fled up the hill.

“Thanks for the help, mon. Dat flashy lightning really turned the tide in our fava’.” He said with a grin.

“Well, I figured I owed you one for earlier.” Ghalresh returned the grin and nodded. This elicited a chuckle from the troll.

“I be Jah’tan.” He held a hand out to shake.

“Ghalresh.” The orc shook the troll’s hand.

“Good ta’ finally put a name to the face, mon. Dis here be Rokal.” He motioned to the female orc. She was lithe compared to a male orc, but still plenty strong. She’d definitely proven to be decent at swinging around the massive battle axe strapped to her back. Ghalresh wasn’t sure what his chances would be should she ever decide to turn that axe on him.

“Throm’ka, shaman.” She said with a nod, as she knelt down to begin skinning and cleaning the boar she’d slain. Jah’tan moved to do the same, but looked up at Ghalresh.

“What do you say da’ t’ree of us go hunt a few more boars togetha’? Make dis grunt-work go by fasta’, so we can get do da fun stuff?”

“I don’t see why not.” Ghalresh nodded as he cleaned his own kill. Rokal grinned.

“Assuming you can keep up with us, that is.” She added, giving Ghalresh a playful grin.

“Is that a challenge?” Ghalresh asked with a chuckle. The three continued to banter as they finished cleaning their kills, and then headed back out to hunt. They were largely successful, felling and harvesting three boars each. They returned to the den at nearly sundown.

“I gonna go speak with my instructa’, mon. T’anks for da help!” Jah’tan said as he made his way deeper into the cave. Rokal also took her leave, heading for one of the tents outside the den. Ghalresh walked into the entrance of the den to find Gornek waiting for him. Ghalresh handed over the meat and hide he’d harvested and Gornek nodded, appraising it.

“Hmmm, not bad, Ghalresh. But don’t let it get to your head… you’ll fight tougher than boars in your career.” He set the meat and hides down on and opened a nearby crate, pulling a pair of leather gloves out, before turning back to Ghalresh. “Nonetheless, you’ve proven yourself well, and your next trial will be against a considerably more dangerous opponent, so you’ll need some extra protection. Go get some rest for now, your next trial will be in the morning.”

Ironpanda

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Adventures of Ghalresh and Jah'tan (Orc and Troll) - Chapter 3: Sting of the Scorpid
Ghalresh awoke to the sound of a loud horn blaring. “Wake up, trainees! Your day starts now.” One of the guards called out, rousing the trial-goers to start their morning routines. Ghalresh was handed some strips of jerky and some bread, and ate it as he made his way to Gornek, who was in his position in the entrance of the den coordinating supplies. The bearded orc was clearly the quartermaster here, Ghalresh realized. “Lok’tar, Gornek.” Ghalresh said as he announced himself to the busy orc.

“Oh, good. You’re here. Before we get started with today’s trial, however, you need to speak with our shaman trainer Shikrik. She would have words with you before you head out into the valley. She’s just outside the den, over there” He pointed, and Ghalresh smiled. This was what he’d been waiting for. Now he can begin studying shamanism in earnest. Ghalresh nodded enthusiastically and headed outside.

Ghalresh found Shikrik nearby, sitting in the shade of the cliff. “So you’ve arrived. I was beginning to wonder when you’d show yourself.” She smiled. “Gornek was supposed to send you to me yesterday, but I suppose he wanted to test your mettle a bit first.” Ghalresh bowed his head.

“I apologize for keeping you waiting.” Shikrik let out a chuckle.

“No need for that. Let’s begin… You are here because you have been chosen. Chosen to lead the spiritual lives of our people. You will be the conduit in which our ancestors communicate. You will have the power of the elements at your beck and call. Sundering your enemies will be child's play; healing your allies as easy as breathing. Keep these things in mind as you face new challenges, and come back to me often as you complete your trials. I will remain here to teach you new spells and set you on the correct path when you are ready.”

Ghalresh continued to speak with Shikrik for a while as she explained some of the finer points of shamanism. After a couple of hours, the sun was beginning to climb back into the sky and Ghalresh excused himself to continue his trials. Ghalresh returned to Gornek as the quartermaster was finishing his lunch. The orc nodded. “Welcome back, are you ready for your next trial?”

“I am.”

“Good. Powerful warriors and awkward novices alike have fallen to the venomous sting of the scorpid. You will find a large number of them to the northwest of here, bring me several of their tails as proof of your prowess in battle.” Gornek reached into a crate and pulled out a large, black, bulbous stinger, presumably from a scorpid. “The antidote for their sting is actually made from the venom extracted from their stingers. We keep large quantities of scorpid venom on hand to heal young bloods just like you…” The orc eyed Ghalresh, giving him a smirk, “But I’m sure you won’t be needing any of that, will you?”

Ghalresh shook his head and Gornek let out a chuckle, “Good. Then get going.” Once again, Ghalresh headed out into the valley. He was not as confident as the other day, when he only faced the small boars that littered the valley, but he was eager. He’d travelled fairly far from the den by the time he ran into his first scorpid. The large arachnid was probably almost as long as he was, from tail to tip. It’s carapace was grey with black streaks down the middle. It was truly an intimidating creature.

Ghalresh was getting more adept at calling upon the spirits, and he charged and launched a ball of electricity at the bug with relative ease. The scorpid let out a screech as the electricity cooked it inside it’s hard, natural armor and it curled up and died quickly. Unfortunately, the screech called three more of the arachnids from nearby. Ghalresh cursed and sent another bolt of electricity, but it missed. He barely had time to dodge as a stinger flew in his direction. He drew his shield, and blocked a second stinger, moving back to gain some ground. The three scorpids chattered angrily at the orc before they began a second charge.

Ghalresh once again summoned a ball of electricity and sent it at his opponents. This one hit, frying another scorpid. The other two came upon Ghalresh. One sent it’s stinger flying once again at the orc, only to once again be blocked by his shield, but the second managed to grab onto the orc’s leg, grabbing tight with its claws and trying to bring its stinger down. Ghalresh managed to catch the stinger and ripped upwards, ripping the tail right off the scorpid, forcing it to let go, leaving a bloody gash across the orc’s leg where the claws ripped through his kilt. The orc blasted the maimed scorpid with lightning and ended it’s misery, leaving him with just one more opponent.

The final scorpid chattered as it circled warily around the shaman. Ghalresh also circled, watching the scorpid intently, both looking for an opportunity to strike. He pulled out his mace, and let out a challenging shout before making the first move. He moved to strike, but at the last minute threw his shield up, catching the scorpid’s tail once again as he brought his mace down on the scorpid, dazing it. He brought the mace down again and again until the chitin armor cracked, green ichor sprayed out, and the scorpid went limp.

Ghalresh sat down after taking a deep breath. “That was a close call…” He muttered to himself as he reached into his pack and pulled out a couple pieces of jerky. He took a few bites and then went to collect the three remaining scorpid tails. After stuffing the tails in his pack, he continued north. In the distance he could see a figure sitting against a tree. A troll, from the looks of it. As the orc approached, he quickly realized something was wrong. The troll was injured.

The troll’s breathing was erratic as he grasped at a blood wound on his chest. Ghalresh approached and kneeled down next to the troll. Ghalresh had to do something quickly, or the troll would die. He remembered Shikrik’s words about healing allies and closed his eyes. Focusing. He could feel something. He reached out and touched the troll’s wound, and a green energy left his hand, enveloping the wound. The skin began to stitch itself back together and the troll took a deep breath, suddenly looking up at Ghalresh. “Shaman! I thought..” He coughed.

“Take it easy, friend.” Ghalresh placed a hand on the troll’s shoulder. “You’re still weak.” The troll nodded, and began speaking after another moment of catching his breath.

“I thought I would die out here wit’ none to know of it…” He said as he sat up a bit. Ghalresh reached to his belt and grabbed a flask of water, offering it to the troll, who drank it readily, and continued his story. “While I was huntin’ scorpids in da Valley, I came across a particularly vicious looking one. I.. I managed to wound it, I t’ink, but I wasn’t ready for its stinger. I don’t have long. Da poison will kill me before I make it back to the Den. Please, kill the scorpid for me! My hona’ must be up’eld. I fought it on da’ plateau to the south.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll kill it. Then I’ll come back for you.” Ghalresh said as he stood and headed towards the plateau. As he made his way up he saw the scorpid in question. Larger than the ones he’d faced down. It had an almost all black carapace, with the exception of red streaks down the middle. The creature was feasting on an unfortunate hare. It had indeed been wounded, it’s left claw was badly cracked. Ghalresh moved forward, readying a lightning bolt. “Hey! Over here!” He shouted, getting the scorpid’s attention as he tossed the bolt at it. The bolt hit the scorpid dead-on, but it seemed to absorb the blast as it forgot about it’s meal and rushed towards the orc. He sent another bolt at it but it only slowed it down for a second as the beast once again absorbed the attack. Ghalresh grabbed his shield and his mace as the creature closed on him, catching the stinger on the shield and kicking forward, knocking the scorpid back

The scorpid kept up the attack, keeping Ghalresh on the defensive as he managed to block blow after blow from the large arachnid’s stinger. Neither of them was making any real headway in getting through the other’s defenses though. The scorpid jumped, attempting to latch onto Ghalresh and stop him from being able to block his stinger, but the orc reacted quickly. He swung his shield out and slammed the scorpid flying at him, causing it to land on it’s back. Ghalresh quickly rushed towards it, unsure of what else to do, he brought the edge of his shield down hard onto the base of the scorpid’s tail; severing it from its body.

The scorpid writhed on the ground as green ichor poured out from it’s tail. Ghalresh wasted no time in bringing his mace down on it again and again, smashing through it’s hard shell just like he had the last scorpid. Finally, the over-sized bug stopped moving. Ghalresh took the large tail, and the damaged claw and headed back to the troll. Hoping he hadn’t spent too much time fighting the beast.

The troll was still sitting beneath the tree, looking a bit pale. “My fatha’ always said I would neva’ amount to much, and here, sitting beneath a tree as my life seeps away, it looks like ‘e was right.” Ghalresh offered the troll the damaged claw, and he let out a bitter laugh. “At least I die knowin’ my last enemy in life lay dead as well.” The troll nodded slowly, slipping back into unconsciousness.

“You’re not dead yet, troll.” Ghalresh muttered as he grabbed the troll and lifted him over his shoulders. “Hopefully it’s not too late for them to administer the anti-venom…” Ghalresh muttered to himself as he began running back to the Den. When he arrived, Gornek and the guards looked surprised. Ghalresh explained the situation, and all their eyes widened.

“From your description of the beast, I believe you must be speaking of Sarkoth! It is no wonder Hana’zua was overtaken by it.” He said, nodding as one of the guards took the troll and carried him to be administered to deeper in the cave. “You brought him to us just in time, trouble yourself no more with Hana’zua’s plight.” Gornek said reassuringly, before continuing. “I must say, I am most impressed that you brought Sarkoth to death. It is a feat to be proud of, Ghalresh. And that you would fight for a stranger’s honor, while other tasks occupied your time, your honor is heightened. Assuming you managed to complete your own trial, that is.” Ghalresh smirked and reached into his pack, pulling out the several scorpid tails, including Sarkoth’s. Gornek chuckled and nodded.
“Good. There is an important lesson to be taken away from fighting scorpids. The smallest or largest of opponents can still send you to your doom. In fierce combat, any number of things can prove your downfall. I have nothing more to teach you, Ghalresh. You are to report to Zureetha Fargaze next. She’s currently investigating something to the north. Enjoy the rest of the day. She should be ready for you come morning.”

“Thank you, Gornek. I learned much from you.” Ghalresh said with a salute, and Gornek nodded.

Ironpanda

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Adventures of Ghalresh and Jah'tan (Orc and Troll) - Chapter 4: Galgar's Cactus Apple Surprise
After being released from his trials for the rest of the day, Ghalresh decided it was the perfect time to explore the Den. He hadn’t really seen much of the camp outside the cave yet, other than when he spoke with Shikrik. Perhaps he should seek her out again as well, he thought. “It sure gets hot out here in the Valley.” Ghalresh heard a voice say, and looked up to realize the orc it came from was speaking to him. He wiped a blanket of sweat of his green brow, he hadn’t even noticed how hot he was.

“You’re not wrong, friend.” Ghalresh nodded to the other orc. He was an older orc, with a scraggly grey beard and a top-knot on the back of his balding head. The old orc smiled.

“Galgar, I’m what passes for a chef in this camp.” He introduced himself.

“Ghalresh. Well met.” Ghalresh responded, nodding politely to the orc.

“Hah, the trainees these days are well mannered!” Galgar laughed, and Ghalresh smiled, quickly retorting.

“Well, the last person one ought to be rude to is the one who makes their food.” This caused a deep, belly laugh from the older orc.

“True enough! You’ve got a good head on you, pup.” Galgar smiled. “Tell you what, kid. You’ve made a good impression on me. If you go out into the valley and bring me some cactus apples, I’ll make you a few portions of my famous ‘Cactus Apple Surprise’. Nothing cools you off faster in the desert heat.” Ghalresh thought about it for a moment.

“Sure. I can do that. I’ve got no trials for the day. I’ll return shortly.” Ghalresh nodded and headed out into the valley once again. “This should be a nice change of pace.” He said to himself as he went to the first patch of cacti, and picked a few of the ‘apples’ budding off of them. He continued to wander, picking apples as he considered the past two days. He already felt considerably stronger, and more in tune with the elements. He wondered just what lay ahead for him next. “Throm’ka, Ghalresh.”

The orc looked up and recognized the orc woman walking up to him. “Throm’ka, Rokal.” He said with a warm smile as he picked yet another cactus apple.

“Is that one of your trials?” Rokal asked, looking at Ghalresh incredulously.

“Hah, no. I have the rest of the day off, so to speak, so I’m doing a favor for the camp chef.” Ghalresh explained, and motioned to the apples. Rokal nodded a bit. “Where’s Jah’tan?” Rokal shrugged.

“He’s still off somewhere doing his trials. I finished mine for the day as well.” Ghalresh nodded.

“In that case, care to join me while I take these back to Galgar?”

“Only if I get some of whatever those apples are for.” She said with a toothy grin.

“Galgar’s famous ‘Cactus Apple Suprise’. A perfect treat for a hot day in the desert, or so he tells me.” Ghalresh explained. Rokal smiled as a growl escaped her stomach.

“Sounds perfect… I may have already eaten most of the boar jerky I got on the first day.” She laughed. The two continued to talk as they made their way back to the den. “So, what made you decide to become a shaman?” She eventually asked. Ghalresh pursed his lips as he tried to think of an answer.

“My father was a shaman, before he fell in battle. I felt it important to carry on his legacy. That, and… I just feel like this path was… calling to me. It’s difficult to explain.” He finally said with a shrug. Rokal nodded.

“I hear the spirits are like that sometimes. But I can respect following in your father’s footsteps. Mine was a proud warrior of the Warsong Clan. Killed by night elves up in Ashenvale. This was his axe.” She unsheathed the massive battle-axe strapped to her back. Ghalresh nodded as he looked at the axe.

“An impressive weapon, to be sure.” He said as he admired the weapon. Rokal grinned proudly and put it back in place on her back as they returned to Galgar. “Wonderful, Ghalresh!” The old orc exclaimed as Ghalresh handed him a bag full of the apples. “And as promised, here is your Cactus Apple Surprise. And some extra, for your friend here.” He offered several glazed cactus apples to both Ghalresh and Rokal, who each took a bite, and nodded their approval simultaneously.

“Thanks, Ghalresh. And thank you, Galgar.” Rokal said as she turned to leave. “These are delicious!” Galgar nodded and smiled, satisfied at the two young bloods enjoying his food. “I’m going to speak with my trainer. I’ll see you around, Ghalresh.” She said with a wave, and Ghalresh nodded. Maybe he ought to do the same.

Ironpanda

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:03 pm

Adventures of Ghalresh and Jah'tan (Orc and Troll) - Chapter 5: Lazy Peons
Ghalresh snacked on a cactus apple as he made his way back towards Shikrik when a large, angry orc pushed past him, cursing to himself. “I’ll wring every last one of their necks, Thrall be damned!” Ghalresh paused and peered at the orc.

“Is something the matter?” He asked, despite feeling like maybe he shouldn’t.

“Is something the matter?! You’re right something’s the matter! Cursed peons! They work hard gathering lumber from the trees of the valley, but they’re always taking naps! You know what I need? I need someone to help me keep these damned peons in line!” The orc stopped, clearly through venting. Before looking at Ghalresh, some sort of realization visibly clicking within the orc. “You’re one of the trainees, right? Maybe you’d be just the orc for the task… Here. You take this blackjack and use it on any of those lazy peons you find sleeping on the job.”

The orc handed Ghalresh a short, leather covered club. “A good smack will get them right back to work. Return the blackjack when you’re done.” He said as he dismissed the perplexed Ghalresh, turning to walk off. “Lousy, slacking peons…” He grumbled as he got back to work. Ghalresh frowned and looked at the blackjack.

“Well… at least it’s something to do.” He said with a shrug and headed back out once again into the Valley. The only way to find the peons was to go to every tree he could find, and see if there was a peon near it. Usually, there was, and occasionally one was sleeping. Ghalresh decided not to club them over the head with the blackjack, instead, choosing to pour some of the water from his flask on them, which proved equally effective.

“Whacha’ doin’ dere, Ghalresh?” He heard a voice from behind him and turned to see Jah’tan.

“Waking up peons…” Ghalresh said simply, and shrugged. “I’m not really sure how I got roped into it though.” The troll chuckled.

“Well. I finished my trial for de’ day, so if ya want, maybe I give ya some company for a while.” Ghalresh smiled and nodded.

“Always a pleasure, Jah’tan.” He replied, and the troll grinned.

“Ya know, da ladies tell me the same ‘ting.” He said with a chuckle. They continued to banter as they searched out and awoke several of the peons. Jah’tan using the opportunity to try out some interesting pranks. Ghalresh found Jah’tan’s carefree additude refreshing, and they’d returned to the Den as the sun began to set before he’d realized the time had gone by. The pair found the orc who had given Ghalresh the task. He didn’t notice them at first, still muttering as he worked.

“No good lazy…”

“‘Ey old-timer!” Jah’tan called out, catching the orc’s attention instantly.

“Eh?” The orc looked up, and upon noticing Ghalresh, frowned. “Do you have my blackjack? Did you catch any peons sleeping on the job?!” He asked, starting to work himself up again.

“Yes, here. And a few, but I think they’ll be more careful for the time being, especially while Jah’tan is here in the valley.” Ghalresh said as he held up the blackjack and smirked. The orc smiled, and turned to see several peons returning with bundles of lumber in their arms. “Good, good. Maybe they’ll think twice before sleeping next time! Thanks for the help!” He grinned, and reached to his belt, pulling a small sack of coin and handing it to Ghalresh. Ghalresh smiled.

“I guess it be a good ‘ting ta get roped up in stuff sometimes, eh?” Jah’tan said with a smirk.

“I guess so.” Ghalresh concurred as he opened the pack and began dividing up the coins. But Jah’tan held up a hand.

“No mon, you keep it. I was jus’ along for da ride.” He insisted. “I’m gonna go get some grub, Ghalresh. Thanks for lettin’ me hang around for a while.” The troll said as he turned to leave, offering a wave.

“Any time, Jah’tan.” Ghalresh said as the troll walked off, before deciding maybe he ought to do the same, and headed back into the Den.

Ironpanda

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Adventures of Ghalresh and Jah'tan (Orc and Troll) - Chapter 6: Vile Familiars

The horn to wake up sounded again the next morning at the same time, and Ghalresh rose to his feet. The dark haired shaman getting up faster this time and packing away his stuff before heading out of the Den. Upon exiting the tent, a female orc called Ghalresh over to one of the tents. “Are you Zureetha Fargaze?” Ghalresh asked as he approached her. She nodded.

“I am. I was sent to the Valley to guide young trainees like yourself, but I have discovered a growing taint here...” She began, frowning at Ghalresh. “One of the Burning Blade - a foul, demon-worshipping cult - has made camp here in the Valley of Trials.” Ghalresh was now frowning too.

“Where?” He asked.

“He skulks in a cave to the north, and his vile familiars have spilled from its mouth to cause havoc.” She explained. “Instead of the usual trial, I would have you aid me in dealing with this corruption before it spreads, if you are willing.” Ghalresh nodded.

“Of course I’ll help. Any orc who wouldn’t…” Ghalresh exclaimed, Zureetha nodded.

“Say no more. As your first task against the Burning Blade, I bid you, defeat these familiars. Slay many and, if you survive, return to me.” Ghalresh nodded. “I will do as you ask.” And left with that, heading back out into the Valley. He travelled farther north than he had so far, until he did indeed see the mouth of the cave. Outside the cave, small, blue skinned creatures wandered around, hunting down hares, mice, and snakes and killing them. Seemingly for fun, as it left all of its kills to rot in the scorching sun. Ghalresh noted that they weren’t brave enough to go after the scorpids.

He also noticed that they were fairly scattered, and not paying attention to possible attackers. He snuck around the rocky outcroppings and hills until he found one alone, reaching into a rabbit hole in an attempt to catch one. Ghalresh rushed it, bringing his mace down on the back of its head before it could react, killing it instantly. Ghalresh flipped the creature over and grimaced. “Looks like a skinny blue goblin with armpit hair…” He muttered as he continued his hunt. He tracked a few more down and dispatched them in similar fashion.

“At least they-” Ghalresh began, when a bolt of fire slammed into his back. Fortunately his large, wooden shield absorbed the damage, but the suprise attack sent the orc reeling. Ghalresh jumped to his feet and spun around to see three of the demons standing at the top of a hill. “Get him!” The middle one shouted, and the other two cackled as they both launched a bolt of fire in the orc’s direction. Ghalresh dived out of the way and charged up a lightning bolt, returning fire.

His attack took the right familiar by surprise, shocking the creature both literally and figuratively. The familiar flew back from the hit, smoke rising from where it was blasted. The other two let out a cry as they rushed the orc. He grabbed his shield and held it up as one jumped up at him, slashing with sharp, claw-like fingernails. He tossed the creature to the side with his shield, as he had Sarkoth the other day and rushed towards the other surviving demon, bringing his mace down.

The familiar was quick though, and jumped back dodging the attack before springing forward and slashing at Ghalresh, it’s claws ripping away flesh across his arm. Ghalresh ignored the pain as he knocked the demon away. Just in time as its companion returned to the fray, throwing a firebolt at Ghalresh’s flank. Ghalresh held up his shield and blocked the ball of fire just in time, amazed that his shield hadn’t been caught on fire yet. Ghalresh took a breath. He was a shaman. He didn’t fight alone. He called on the elements again, and held a hand out towards the fire-throwing demon, who was charging up another attack.

Instead of a ball of lightning flying from his hand though, the earth beneath the demon exploded as several sharp rocks shot up, skewering it. The final, surviving familiar looked at it’s fallen comrade in terror, before looking at Ghalresh. It’s fear turned into anger and it roared, charging at the orc. Ghalresh swung his mace as the demon jumped, hitting it in the chest and sending the familiar flying back with such a force that the mace cracked in half. The demon tried to rise, but it’s ribs had been shattered. It began to charge up another firebolt, but Ghalresh was quicker, sending a lightning bolt at the downed creature and ending it’s life in a smoking, crumpled heap as the lightning running through its body made it continue to twitch occasionally.

Ghalresh looked towards the cave again, “It looks like that was the last of them....” He said as he looked back towards the grizzly scene before him and spat in the dirt. “Foul demons…” He muttered as he made his way back to the den. He described what happened to Zureetha and she nodded, “You have done well, Ghalresh. Although the familiars were merely pets of the darker powers within the Burning Blade, your success against them foretells greater deeds ahead. Leave me for a bit, I must make preparations for what’s to come.”

Ironpanda

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Adventures of Ghalresh and Jah'tan (Orc and Troll) - Chapter 7: Burning Blade Medallion

Ghalresh returned to Zureetha in an hour or so, and found Rokal and Jah’tan waiting for him. Ghalresh offered them a nod, and Zureetha spoke, nodding. “Good, everyone is here. This next task will require all of your prowess. Through my divinations, I see that an item of power hides deep within the cave I sent Ghalresh to. A medallion. Your final trial will be to work together and remove it. But be wary, the medallion may be possessed by an agent of the burning blade, and if so, then the agent’s power will be greater than that of the familiars you have already slain.” The three trainees nodded.

“If there is one, that demon worshipping scum is going to regret spreading his filth.” Rokal spat. Jah’tan nodded in agreement. “Ya mon, we gonna mess ‘em up big time. Let me gatha’ some supplies real quick, den we meet back up outside da’ camp and go to dis cave.” Rokal and Ghalresh agreed. Ghalresh moved to speak with the shaman trainer before he headed out, but Shikrik was not there. Instead, a troll approached Ghalresh. “De time is now, young shaman.” The troll said.

“You’ve grown strong, and ya spirit endures like da earth. Followin’ da shaman’s path shows you ‘ave wisdom before even proven’ ya’self.” The troll reached down and grabbed a handful of earth. “Da element o’ earth will guide your destiny, becomin’ part of you if you are ready. But you must stand before the earth itself. If you are ready, then you will see things only shaman know of. When ya go into dat cave, seek out da felstalkers and take from dem two of their hooves. Return to me then, and we shall speak more of your future.” Ghalresh opened his mouth to ask a question, but the troll held his hand up. “Go. All your questions will be answered soon. Though I think you gonna find dat answers only bring more questions.” Ghalresh nodded, realizing that was all he was going to get from the troll, and turned to find the others.

They were both ready, and waiting outside the camp for him. “Ya be ready ta’ do dis, mon?” Jah’tan asked with a grin. Ghalresh returned it and nodded. “Good! Den let’s be off. Dat cultist ain’t gonna kill ‘imself. Maybe.” And with that the trio headed back towards the cave. Unlike last time, there was no talking as the three moved with purpose. They reached the cave by noon, and still found it to be unguarded after Ghalresh had dispatched the familiars the other day. They entered the mouth of the cave, and Rokal held up a fist for them to stop. “Weapons out. Follow my lead.”

They entered the cave with Rokal in front, Jah’tan in the middle, and Ghalresh at the end. The cave was beautiful, with underground waterfalls having carved rivers running throughout the cave over the thousands of years it had been here. Unfortunately it stank. The smell of brimstone permeated the air. “The path splits here.” Rokal called out, and Jah’tan and Ghalresh stepped forward to see for themselves. The cave was dark though, despite the sun peaking through several holes in the wall. As they looked, they heard a snarl from the shadows. A monstrous, four-legged beast jumped out, lunging at Jah’tan, but the lithe troll deftly fell back, dodging the beast before catching himself before he hit the ground and spinning around. He jumped back, spear at the ready as the snarling beast stepped out of the shadows again.

Ghalresh noticed that the red-skinned demon had no eyes, and had two black stalks sticking out of it’s back. The red-skinned demon beast was straight out of a nightmare. Jah’tan was taken aback. He’d probably never seen a real demon before. Although, to be fair, other than the familiars, Ghalresh hadn’t either. But Rokal spared no time in advancing on the beast and bringing her axe down with lightning speed, ripping into the demon’s side and removing one of it’s stalks in one deft blow. The demon screeched and writhed on the ground, but another swing of her axe ended it’s misery.

Ghalresh gasped. “Hooves. This must be a felstalker.”

“What?” Rokal turned to him.

“Before we left the Den, one of the shaman trainers asked me to bring him two hooves from a felstalker. That thing has hooves, so it must be a felstalker.” Ghalresh explained, pointing to the dead demon. Rokal turned to the demon and shrugged, bringing her axe down once again. She picked up the two hooves she’d separated from the beast and tossed them to Ghalresh with a smirk. “Anything else on the shopping list?”

“I think we’re good.” Ghalresh retorted, and Jah’tan chuckled.

“Let’s go find dat medallion. Before more of those ‘felstalkers’ show up, eh?”

“But which way should we go?” Rokal asked, reminding them of their dilemma. “We could split up…”

“No, that would be dangerous.” Ghalresh held a hand up. “It’s not hard to imagine those demons see better in the dark than we do. If we split up, they’ll pick us off one by one from the shadows.”

“Dis one doesn’t have eyes, though.” Jah’tan pointed out.

“That’s what worries me.” Ghalresh frowned. “If they’re tracking us by smell… or even through magic, it would be no trouble to set an ambush in these dark tunn-..” Ghalresh was interrupted with a cry of pain.

“That came from this way!” Rokal said as she rushed off down the east passage.

“Wait!” Ghalresh called out, but she wasn’t listening. He and Jah’tan hurried after her. They caught up to her in the next chamber; a large room split be a shallow, ankle-deep river that spilled into a small lake at the end of the room. She’d been stopped by two more felstalkers and one of the blue familiars. “Eat them! Eat them! Eat them!” The familiar shouted and pointed, and the two demonic beasts rushed at the group. Rokal swung her axe and sliced the side of one of the charging beasts, causing it to leap back and yelp in pain. Ghalresh tossed a lightning bolt, slamming the other directly in the face as it jumped at him, and the beast flew back. Four more piled up out of the shadows next to it’s smoking corpse, and the familiar cackled.

“Ya tink it’s a fair fight?” Jah’tan asked.

“Not even close. They should have brought at least a dozen more.” Rokal replied. The demons charged. Rokal caught one on a downward swing with her axe, slamming it into the ground and killing it instantly. Jah’tan batted two away with his spear, practically dancing with them as he peppered them with slashes, cuts and stabs, while Ghal’resh tossed a lightning bolt at the familiar. The cackling demon stopped laughing as the bolt struck him, and he began twitching violently. Ghalresh realized that the demon had been standing in the water.

“Knock them into the water!” He shouted.

“Dat be easy!” Jah’tan replied as he lept over one of the felstalkers as it made a lunge at him. He threw a hand out and landed on it, kicking forward with his legs and slamming his feet into the demon. It yelped as it tumbled forward, and right into Rokal’s path. She swung her axe in wide arcs, forcing the demons to lose ground if they wished to avoid it’s bite. Pushing them back into the river.

“Perfect…” Ghalresh muttered as he summoned another lightning bolt, throwing it towards the water. All five felstalkers twitched violently and collapsed as electricity coursed through them. After the dust cleared, Rokal charged forward again.

“Hurry. I think we’re getting close.”

“Rokal we must slo-” It was no use. She was already leaving the chamber. The Ghalresh and Jah’tan looked at each other and frowned, before following after her. Rokal ran down the tunnel and turned into the next chamber, only to be slammed with a bolt of shadowy energy that sent the orc flying back into the wall. Ghalresh and Jah’tan jumped to her side, taking defensive positions facing towards whatever had thrown the shadowbolt.

“You be okay dere, Rokal?” Jah’tan asked.

“I’ll live…” She grumbled and got to her feet. “But that filthy warlock won’t!” She roared. Ghalresh looked in the direction the shadowbolt had come from. An orc in purple robes holding a staff with a purple orb on top stood grinning. His hair and beard were filthy.

“Come then, children. Kill me!” He held his hands up, and two more felstalkers appeared at his side.

“With pleasure.” Ghalresh growled, and the three trainees charged. Ghalresh and Jah’tan both dispatched a felstalker with ease, Ghalresh using the new mace Zureetha had gifted him to cave in the top of the demon’s skull while Jah’tan caught his opponent in the mouth with his spear and skewered it. Rokal rushed towards the warlock, but he threw a hand out, and a beam green energy ripped out of her chest into his hand. Her charge slowed as she shrieked, but kept going. By the time she’d reached the warlock she’d fallen to her knees.

“Rokal!” Both Ghalresh and Jah’tan cried out and moved to help her. The warlock grabbed her by the collar and lifted her up, revealing a drained, dessecated form. The warlock had stolen her very life energy. Rokal was too weak to lift her axe, too weak to move, too weak to even cry out in pain.

“Unworthy.” The warlock said simply, and tossed her over his shoulder, over the side of a rock and down into the chamber below.

“Curse you!” Ghalresh cried out, blasting the warlock in the chest with a lightning bolt, causing the warlock to step back and nearly fall to one knee, if not for his staff. “You’ll pay for her death!”

“Will I, pup?!” The warlock laughed as he threw a shadowbolt his way, which Ghalresh dodged, before him and Jah’tan both charged. Jah’tan attacked first, leaping forward and stabbing with his spear, which grazed the orc’s side, cutting into his robes and flesh. The orc grabbed the Jah’tan’s arm and blasted him in the side with a shadowbolt, sending the troll falling over into the chamber below as well. This distracted the warlock though, and Ghalresh brought his mace down on his cheek, shattering the warlock’s jaw. The warlock let out a pained howl as he reached out to drain Ghalresh’s life-force as he had Rokal’s, but Ghalresh slapped his hand back with his shield arm and tackled the warlock, falling down into the same room as the others.

The warlock barely had time to look up in terror as Ghalresh brought his mace down hard on his face, ending the fight in an instant. Ghalresh looked down at the body of the warlock. This was no mere boar, or scorpid, or even a demon. This was a fellow orc that Ghalresh had just brutally killed. Even the fact that he was a cultist seeking to subjugate his people didn’t make Ghalresh feel much better about what he’d done. He saw the medallion hanging from the warlock’s neck and grabbed it, ripping it off of him before standing and turning to see his companions. Jah’tan was on his feet, though he looked rather ragged. At his feet lay three more dead felstalkers. And Rokal. “She didn’t make it....” The troll said sadly.

Ghalresh frowned, and reached down to grab her axe. “She died honorably. Her father would be proud…” The two took a moment of silence before making their way up and out of the cave. They made the trek back to the den in silence, neither of them feeling any joy from their accomplishment. They returned to Zureetha and reported what happened, before Ghalresh offered her the amulet.

“Rokal’s body will be retrieved. She died as a warrior, serving the horde, and she will be honored as such. Take solice in that.” Zureetha said, sadly, before continuing. “And in the fact that your efforts have rooted out the cult within the Valley of Trials. But I fear they have further aims in this land. We have not seen the end of them.” She looked at both of them in turn. “Your trials here in this valley are finished. But I want you to report your findings.”

“When you are prepared, go to the troll village of Sen’jin and seek out Master Gadrin. Sen’jin Village is east out of the valley, then right at the fork. Tell Gadrin of the Burning Blade, and that they have reached the Valley of Trials. Discover from him if they have yet reached Sen’jin.” Ghalresh and Jah’tan nodded and walked away from her.

“‘Ey listen mon, I need ta be alone for a bit. I meetcha at the edge of da valley before we ‘ead out ta’ Sen’jin.” And Jah’tan went towards the den.

Ironpanda

Post by Ironpanda » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:38 pm

That was the last chapter of the orc/troll book I already had written. So the rest of it's going to take a bit longer to post, unfortunately xD

Edit: I feel I should mention that book one of Ghalresh and Jah'tan has one chapter left. Then I'm going to move on to an alliance character to show them some love. Afterwards, I plan to finish Garmick's adventures in Deathknell. As to what alliance character I'm going to do first, I'll do a poll to see which one people would find most interesting. Here's a list of all the main characters that will have their own books

Horde
Ghalresh Thunderseeker - Orc Elemental Shaman
Jah'tan - Troll Survival Hunter
Wauna Cloudrunner - Tauren Restoration Druid
Garmick Shadowbane: Forsaken Assassination Rogue
Lynonia Phoenixlight: Blood Elf Protection Paladin

Alliance:
Nerrixie Gizmospark - Gnome Mage (Nerrixie is special as she was my main in retail for years. In retail she was arcane, but I'm not sure what spec I'm going to go for in the story)
Sylenia Silverleaf - Night Elf Holy Priest
Bodar Mountainstone - Dwarf Marksmanship Hunter
Wess Clark - Human Protection Warrior
Eretraa - Draenei Retribution Paladin

Every class/race combo will be represented in some fashion, but these are the MCs, who for the most part, the various stories will take place from their perspectives.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:55 am

Hmm.. I'm thinking, would it be better to write feedback on the other thread, to not interrupt the flow of the story? Anyways, I'll write this one here for now.

I stick by what I said on the undead story thread: you can write some good descriptions. I can really feel being there in person. Durotar is really a harsh place and I got that right away. Also, the combat and other game mechanics are well done, gets me excited :D For being a shaman, this Orc sure likes to clobber things with his mace... in true Orc fashion ofc haha. Also, I loved the creative use of spells and abilities, especially when they push the demons in the water and electrocute them. That was cool. And the encounters were just like in the game: pulling 1 scorpid and you get 3 more, think you are done with imps and then boom, fireball to the back. :P love the twitchy dead imp haha.

I think the shaman was a good choice; the elemental totem questlines have some of the best written texts in the game imo and being a shaman, grants lots of cool, mystical opportunities for the character's development. :)

The only thing I can nitpick is that maybe, you rely too much on the stock quest texts. It is well woven into the story but I feel it comes at the expense of the characters, who by comparison, don't say too much. Well, Jah'tan is more talkative and I can buy that Ghalresh is a stoic Orc. But for the shaman class quests, you absolutely need that text because it is THAT good! So maybe, your characters could talk a bit more, is all I'm saying. :)

Also, can't wait for chapter 8 - it's gonna be the earth totem quest. Really excited for that one :)