Tiny Shoebox of Sketches

Xantros

Tiny Shoebox of Sketches

Post by Xantros » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Hey there fellow Slow Traveler! You must be all tuckered out from all that adventuring. You can take this seat here, it is very cozy by the fire. I come here every now and then to relax after a long journey. Just to take my mind elsewhere. And sometimes... I feel like doodling and sketching down my own mishaps. Such a simple thing but it makes me happy. I keep them in this tiny shoebox I carry with me. Would you like to see them? Maybe they will make you happy too. satisfied_turtle

Xantros

Re: Tiny Shoebox of Sketches

Post by Xantros » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 pm

Last edited by Xantros on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:35 pm

The "Not-so" Happy Easter Bunny
Last edited by Xantros on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lichenwitch

Post by Lichenwitch » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:14 am

hey that's really cute smiling_turtle_head i can't see the second image though
satisfied_turtle_head Jules, the Satyr insidious_turtle

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:50 pm

So, it looks OK now.
Very cute, yes :D

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Abigail just doin Abigail things.. :)

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:27 am

Love the eyes, Xantros

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:12 pm

I'm happy you like it :) I try to keep it simple but expressive

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm

While I'm working on my next drawing - which is going to be a bit more advanced than the others - here's an out of season sketch, from last year's Halloween. This is the last of the pre-made ones in this style. One of my first drawings :)

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Been a bit busy with some official stuff, while still working on the big piece, so here is a little comic to tide you turtles over. smiling_turtle_head Keep it silly!

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sat May 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Hey that's really cool. Love the lil' demon. Your lines are improving, too.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun May 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Thank you :) I appreciate the feedback. Yeah, that little bastard's gonna get it :D

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:26 pm

After 2 weeks of headaches and other technical problems, I have finally completed my FIRST EVER Comic Strip! I hope you turtles like it. smiling_turtle

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:31 pm

I think she looks really cute. happy_turtle_head

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:38 pm

Thank you :) I hoped she would!

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 pm

I was in a Rainy Mood smiling_turtle

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Some context: A very special friend of mine invited me to his concert but I could not attend due to Covid. So I made this comic for him. I had lots of fun making it and since it has some Warcraft stuff in it, I thought you turtles might have a good laugh too. happy_turtle

Some more context: Our other friend could also not attend and he said he would be there in spirit. So I drew him in spirit form. happy_turtle_head

Torta

Post by Torta » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:45 pm

Very nice!

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Thank you! :) Happy you like it!

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:08 am

Xantros!

So impressed with the advancement of lines!

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:09 am

Btw, the one with the pencil drill and the scoundrel imp... that reminds me of the original 'Spy vs Spy' from Mad magazine. That is VERY old (50s?). Check it out.

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:49 am

Spy Vs Spy is indeed pretty old. However, they were still around in the 70's and begin 80's and were featured in the MAD magazine.
Back on topic: Xantros, you make great progress, that is clear to see! Must have been a lot of work too, so many characters. The longer I look, the more funny things I see! :-)

In true drunkard-fashion, the Dwarf managed to keep his bottle up-right, so not to spill his beer! Even though he has passed out! Lol!

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Thank you so much for all the support and comments :)

Wow, that Spy vs Spy, I remember having seen it but it was such a while ago. I see what you mean Merikkinon :D

Mantigora: Funny how that dwarf turned out. I was actually gonna make him spill the drink but I forgot about it. Then when I looked again I thought... nah this is good :D

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:25 pm

This was an older, unfinished piece, with a different style that I felt I should do something with. First time practicing lighting, color art and shadows for real. Hope you like it. satisfied_turtle

Mcnair

Post by Mcnair » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:39 am

Very nice one. I like the cat doing cat things. :)

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm

haha I was hoping the cat was noticeable :D

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:34 am

Yes, poor dog!
I like the rural look of the background. It could well be used as a design in a (childrens)story.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:19 pm

A little sketch I made in my sketchbook while on vacation. Keep on dreaming... satisfied_turtle

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:00 am

When you wanna answer but you realize you didn't understand the question in the first place... dead_turtle_head

Paw

Post by Paw » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:26 am

When s1 asks u a stupid question and u find urself troubled cause u don't know how to react respectfully?

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:55 am

And you stop yourself before reacting. Works for that too haha

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 pm

A small bit of context: My friend Mantigora came up with this funny idea for one of my characters "Lem" to get assaulted by a Defias Snuggler and Hooter. We had a good laugh at the wordplay and so I thought I will draw it. hehe turtle_tongue
I also included some flavor text below. I will be uploading some writings of my own soon. Hope you enjoy my humble creations. satisfied_turtle

It was a hot and stuffy afternoon in Westfall. Swarms of flies buzzed around rotten pumpkins in the heat and lonely vultures scanned the horizon for their next carrion meal.
A large murder of crows were also gathering on the few trees that remained in the decrepit rural scenery, waiting to be the last to abandon the once proud "Pantry of Stormwind".
Despite the drear and gloom of decrepit mills and lonely scarecrows, the orange light of the setting sun somehow gave the farmlands a pleasant glow.
One could almost catch the smell of fallen leaves carried on the breeze from nearby forests and taste the crumbly chestnut pie... with just a pinch of cinnamon.
But that was many summers ago and today was now the last day of this year's summer.

Somewhere deep in the backdrop of empty fields and dead crops, behind the old town of Moonbrook, a lone gnome wandered, grumbling to himself.
"Now where did she wander off to again?" he scratched his balding head.
The gnome in question was none other than "Lemagrag the Magnificent, Sorcerer Extraordinaire, Binder of Mystic Shadows and Slayer of... etc." or so he liked to postulate.
But right now, he was none of those things. He was just Lem. Just a lost gnome looking for his lost friend Abigail.
A young human girl who had the tendency to disappear from sight when a beautiful butterfly or a bird or... - well anything really - caught her attention.

He had been busy with reorganizing his bag and by the time he realized, he was alone. He scanned the horizon thoroughly and checked behind every tree, bush and rock but to no avail.
Being short of stature did not help him in this regard. Eventually, he found himself at a unique landmark. The Meeting Stone of Moonbrook. A popular meeting place for adventurers, he had heard.
Just then he heard some giggling behind him and sighed.

"Finally! I've been searching all over for yo..."
He swallowed his words in shock. He expected Abigail but he could not have been more wrong.
There were two female bandits standing now in front of him, with their arms on their hips, eyeing him intently. With the setting sun at their backs and a significant height difference, they were quite intimidating.
Recognizing the red bandanas of the Defias immediately, a cold chill ran down his spine and his legs felt rooted in place.
Caught out in the open by surprise like this, he knew he was done for.

The two girls looked at each other. The blonde one - who was a head shorter - pointed at the gnome, whispering something to her brunette companion. They both began to giggle.
Lem got to his senses, shook himself out of it and took to the only option he had left. As a last resort, he dropped his valuable bag and ran.
The gnome ran like the wind as fast as his legs could carry him, breathing heavily, but it was to no avail. Having longer legs, the two ladies caught up to him in no time... It was all over.

He closed his eyes and gritted his teeth, expecting a cold dagger to be plunged in his back at any moment and then...
To his shock and surprise, he was grabbed by the arms and lifted several feet up in the air. When he opened his eyes, he was sitting in the lap of the brunette lady in red.
With her big hands, she had a firm grip on him and he could only shake his legs in a futile effort to get away.
He could not imagine what heinous plans they had for him and he was already shaking with fearful anticipation when the blonde girl bent her knees and snuggled up to him.
He pulled away in horror, only to have pushed his face into the chest of the other girl, who was looking down at him fondly.

"Oh my gosh! He is soooo cute!" the shorter girl squeaked and poked him in the cheek.

Lemagrag the Magnificent, Sorcerer Extraordinaire looked away in horror as the girl snuggled ever closer. In his futility, the gnome tried to scream but he could only utter a feeble: "Help!"

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:12 am

Sometimes, it is hard to resist temptation...

A little something I whipped up, while I work on my 2-page comic for Halloween.
Hope you turtles are having a good time. smiling_turtle

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:33 pm

Wow. I am really into how your style is forming up. Gotten so consistent it's wonderful. The color is also a nice bonus, but I like both.

Now to create comic strips!

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:34 pm

Thank you Merikkinon! :) That means a lot! And actually I have been working on a Halloween comic but it was a big learning experience, so I could not finish it on time but the first page is almost done. Also a remake of my first drawing, Autumn Girl, is almost finished. I'll post them soon. :) After that I plan to make a real comic..