wow.exe suddenly disappeared?

Kerguelen

wow.exe suddenly disappeared?

Post by Kerguelen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:29 am

It's what it sounds like...the wow.exe I used to launch the game is now missing from my turtlewow folder. I'm very confused. I did not delete it. I did not move it. I was playing only a few hours earlier today, after which I turned off my laptop and went to go do some work. Now I'm done with the work, so I went to play more, and suddenly the darn thing is missing, just up and vanished like a fart in the wind.

wow-old.exe is still there and I just started to run it, but it has to download an update it seems, so I'm downloading the update but it's taking like an hour, so I decided I'd just go ahead and ask this question now, and if the update solves my problem, I'll -uh- UPDATE this post about it :)
Update: it did nothing.

Also, unrelated, but this project is so awesome and I'm very grateful it exists.

Kerguelen

Re: wow.exe suddenly disappeared?

Post by Kerguelen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:58 am

Ok, I fixed it. I still had a copy of the zip folder I downloaded, so I extracted it again to a new folder and the wow.exe came back in the new folder. Game runs, although I have to re-do all of my custom settings now. :) Still wondering what in the hell happened though.

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:10 am

Maybe your antivirus quarantined it. And it may happen again.

Kerguelen

Post by Kerguelen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:44 pm

You know, after reading this post, I checked and SURE ENOUGH that's what happened. I'll go make sure it doesn't happen again, then. Thanks

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Mon May 02, 2022 12:27 am

it happens me all the time. i have a copy of the -exe in a pen drive
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Mon May 02, 2022 1:43 pm

I use Avira Antivirus Free, because it's easy to control and you get alerted when something gets quarantined and you can easily add it to exceptions if you want. Windows Defender on the other hand acts more like actual malware or virus where it does whatever it wants and doesn't even tell you, I've found ways to completely uninstall it from my system and would advise people to use anything else but default Microsoft software, there is a reason why everyone uses:

- 3rd party browser
- 3rd party text editor
- 3rd party video player
- 3rd party audio player
- 3rd party image viewer
- 3rd party antivirus solution

It's because Microsoft can't do a decent job at it, even Windows is garbage, but there is no alternative for gamers so we're stuck with it.

So add your wow.exe to exceptions and you should be good from now on. :)