How to turn off background sound with a hex edit

Blackfox

How to turn off background sound with a hex edit

Post by Blackfox » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:06 pm

Do you hate that the new Turtle WoW patch makes WoW play its sounds even when it's not focused? Here's how you can revert this change using a hex edit.

All you have to do is change the value at adress 3A4869 to 14

WoW.exe for TurtleWoW 1.16 (no background sound)

WoW.exe for TurtleWoW 1.16.1 (background sound forced on)

Thanks to Brndd who made the patch for the previous version, which included the Background sound modification, thanks to his source code I could find what value needed to be changed

disclaimer: I dunno why it works, I just figured changing it to the value from the previous version would do it, and it works without issues for me so far

Brndd

Re: How to turn off background sound with a hex edit

Post by Brndd » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:17 pm

Blackfox wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:06 pm
disclaimer: I dunno why it works, I just figured changing it to the value from the previous version would do it, and it works without issues for me so far
Well, it works because it un-does the patch. Simple as that ;).

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:24 pm

It does not undo the patch. The correct implementation is described here: https://github.com/slowtorta/turtlewow- ... 742afae2a0

We might try to add a checkbox for that :( But it's complicated scared_turtle_head

Brndd

Post by Brndd » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:06 pm

Torta wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:24 pm
It does not undo the patch. The correct implementation is described here: https://github.com/slowtorta/turtlewow- ... 742afae2a0

We might try to add a checkbox for that :( But it's complicated scared_turtle_head
I meant that it un-does the sound in background patch, not that it un-does the entire 1.16.1 patch.

Adding a checkbox accessible in the client options would be cool, but it's far from easy to implement.

Citizenkane

Post by Citizenkane » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:06 am

Thanks for the quick fix @Blackfox. That being said, having an in-game option for this purpose would be very much welcome.

Blackfox

Post by Blackfox » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm

Brndd wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:17 pm
Well, it works because it un-does the patch. Simple as that ;).
I mean, first I thought it should be on one bit, since it's a simple switch, but flipping singular bits on that adress just breaks it. Only then did I realise I could just lookup the old .exe value. I don't understand why 27 and 14. but it's whatever

Blackfox

Post by Blackfox » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:03 pm

Torta wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:24 pm
It's a personal preference. The patch should not have forced it on people. Before people could turn it on using the custom patcher if they wanted it. Should have kept it that way and released a patcher for 1.16.1

Citizenkane

Post by Citizenkane » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:06 am

Blackfox wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:03 pm
It's a personal preference. The patch should not have forced it on people. Before people could turn it on using the custom patcher if they wanted it. Should have kept it that way and released a patcher for 1.16.1
This. Just because one player was spamming in world chat about wanting to hear his fishing bobber go off while alt tabbed, doesn't mean everyone wants it too.

Brndd

Post by Brndd » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:58 pm

Blackfox wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm
I mean, first I thought it should be on one bit, since it's a simple switch, but flipping singular bits on that adress just breaks it. Only then did I realise I could just lookup the old .exe value. I don't understand why 27 and 14. but it's whatever
It's not a boolean flag, instead it's a machine code instruction. It patches a jump instruction to skip the branch of code that mutes audio when the window loses focus.

Torta

Post by Torta » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:08 pm

This has been disabled by default in Patch 1.16.2. If you still want to use it, download our optional binary from here: https://github.com/slowtorta/turtlewow- ... in/WoW.exe