[Custom patch] Warcraft III Dark Troll skin

Glouton

[Custom patch] Warcraft III Dark Troll skin

Post by Glouton » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:03 pm

Godehsi mon, I recently fell for the Dark Troll skin from TW shop but something was bothering me: weren't Dark Trolls purple in WC3 ? After some research (quotes and wowpedia links below), yes, they were but Troll Compendium states that their skin varies from "gray to black". So I made some small changes by modifying the Dark Troll skin to match more the one I remember.

What does this patch do ? It replaces the dull grey skin available in the shop with the one I modified.
How to install it ? Download it via one of the links below and put it in the data folder of your TWoW.

DOWNLOAD link: For those who don't know who the Dark Trolls are:
  • From Troll Compendium
According to scattered reports, dark trolls have gray to black skin and lead a mostly subterranean existence. Alleged sightings of dark trolls usually involve hulking and brutish creatures who attack with little tactical planning or coordinated effort. Thus, it has been theorized that dark trolls are much less intelligent than other trolls.

There is no evidence that the dark trolls have ever formed a civilization or nation. Indeed, their estimated numbers are so few that their existence as a distinct category of troll is considered highly questionable. In consequence, it seems likely that if the dark trolls do exist, they are derived from a single troll tribe.
For those who don't know what Dark Trolls look like:
  • From Manuel of Monsters
[...] Dark trolls are the tallest and rarest known species of trollkind. Dark trolls are muscular, wiry humanoids that stand almost 10 feet tall. They have a royal purple hue of skin and pointed features. Their choice of war paint tends to be black or a shade of purple. They have pale yellow eyes that glare as they slip out of shadows [...]
Me not that kind of Orc!

Jambiya

Re: [Custom patch] Warcraft III Dark Troll skin

Post by Jambiya » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:52 pm

This is some cool stuff, thank you. Troll Power, mon!

Raktul

Post by Raktul » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:09 pm

And this is how they look in World of Warcraft BFA.
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_troll

So your skin is not that far away from the Blizz idea! :D
I like it, i thing i will how it in my next video.
Troll stuff = Good stuff! :)
New troll here!
What ju wan'me kill?

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:17 am

I really like the look of this one. However, for some reason it does not show up. I have put the file in the data folder.

Anyone else having problems with the skin not showing?

Glouton

Post by Glouton » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:38 pm

@Merikkinon: As indicated on the initial post, this patch replaces the grey skin purchasable in the TW shop and named "Dark Troll".
If you have a few tokens to spend, create a Troll, go HC, buy the skin, click on it, it should works. Then kill your character and you'll get auto-refund (if you went HC !).
Me not that kind of Orc!

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:26 am

Glouton - thanks so much for that. I over looked it.

I think it's the best troll look by far. The yellow eyes are fantastic.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:28 am

Could you point me to some info on how to start modding the graphics files?

Glouton

Post by Glouton » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:03 pm

Tanks mon, any complimen' be appreciated !

Sure. You'll need a few softwares:
- one to open mpq files, look into it (and extract what you're looking for, in our case it's texture files which are blp files) and create custom mpq, such as MyWarcraftStudio.
- one to convert blp files to png (and vice versa) like BLPconverter or BLPlab.
- one to modify your png. I'm using Photofiltre.

You can't add custom stuff (new items, new weapons, etc.), it's server side only. What I'm doing is simple texture swap. Read below for the procedure to make a custom skinpatch:
- 1: Open MWS, take a look at mpq files, extract what you want. If it's a non-basic skin (that you can't select from the character creation screen IG), you will have to swap it with one of the basic skins, so copy the basic skin's file path.
- (2): Convert it to png I you want to modify it on Photofiltre. Don't forget to convert it back to blp.
- 3: Still on MWS, create a custom mpq, add to it the blp files you extracted and/or modified. Keep addin'. For each blp file you add, you'll have to paste the right path you copied earlier. If I use my skinpatch as an example, copied path was something like "Character\Troll\Male\Nameoftheblpfile00_105.blp". Make sure you put the right path for the right file: Character\Troll\Male\TrollMaleLowerFace path with TrollMaleLowerFace file etc.
- 4: Save the patch.
- 5: Put it in your WoW Data folder.
- 5: Enjoy!
Me not that kind of Orc!

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:36 pm

Amazing help, great write-up.

Thanks so much!

Hawksley

Post by Hawksley » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:00 pm

Bit late to the party but can other players see this or just the player?

Zeran

Post by Zeran » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm

Hawksley wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:00 pm
Bit late to the party but can other players see this or just the player?
Only those who have the patch installed would see this.
You ever 'av dreams of da Empire of Zul, mon?

Da Zandali di'chuka!

Main Toon's Armoury: Jil'nei

Guild Leader of <Glorious Amani Tribe>

I have alts, too turtle_tongue