Turtle HD Project

Fournier

Re: Turtle HD (WIP)

Post by Fournier » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:38 pm

First of all, love the updated graphics. Strong work.

My orc’s face however got all screwed up. It looks all washed out. I’ve seen other orcs in game and their faces appear normal.

Any ideas on a fix?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:15 am

Fournier wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:38 pm
First of all, love the updated graphics. Strong work.

My orc’s face however got all screwed up. It looks all washed out. I’ve seen other orcs in game and their faces appear normal.

Any ideas on a fix?
This is due to custom skins/faces that Turtle WoW uses that are higher than the normal cap for number of skins/faces in vanilla WoW. This patch was not made for Turtle, I simply ported it to work with Turtle. This will be an issue until I can find an artist willing to create HD assets of these Turtle appearances for me.

NOTICE AND REQUEST
There are some items on this patch which cause characters to not render in equipment screen or dressing room (and XPerl 3D portraits) but display fine in the game world. I am sure I know the cause of and how to fix these, but I will need players using the patch to post here which items are causing this so I can fix them.

Currently known bugged items: Halo of Transcendence and Azuresong Mageblade.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:32 am

I believe Thrall's model from SL fits much better for a warchief but guess it's not so easy to put it in Vanilla.

Bran34

Post by Bran34 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:28 am

I have no idea how to pack and unpack the texture files, but I noticed you say that high elf eyes turn green. If it's a simple texture issue, if you pass me those files I can edit them to have the correct eye color and send them back.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:47 am

Bran34 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:28 am
I have no idea how to pack and unpack the texture files, but I noticed you say that high elf eyes turn green. If it's a simple texture issue, if you pass me those files I can edit them to have the correct eye color and send them back.
That would be incredibly helpful. There's a lot of files, but if you're willing, please have a look at these and take a crack at it. Please do not rename any of the files or change the directories if at all possible.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5moateks ... PQ.7z/file

In the process of uploading this, I found that the eyeglow was not properly ported over. Next version of this patch will give High Elves their (green atm) eyeglow back. There is a donation skin that gives the green eyes back, I just have to figure out which of the skins it's replacing so that I can copy the HD version of this patch over that file. I didn't provide that file for your editing. Any files that already have blue eyes, please ignore. Those are low res files that I have yet to replace with the HD assets.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:43 am

Bran34 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:28 am
Also, I have here the files my previous artist, Crestian, sent me. Unfortunately they're unusable because in converting the original BLP texture files to PNG, he used a tool really not made for WoW files and so they ended up corrupted. The PNGs are completely viewable, so you can use them as reference, but DO NOT use these PNGs as the finished product. ONLY reference them. I CANNOT convert them back to usable BLP files. This also contains the broken Night Elf black hair. If you'd be willing to take a crack at recreating them, I can grab some working HD Night Elf hair and convert them for you to turn into working black versions.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lggjwctm ... st.7z/file

Bran34

Post by Bran34 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:09 am

I've started working on them and have a couple finished, just to ensure that this is compatible though please try repacking this file and seeing if it'll work. If it does, I'll finish up the rest.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/htqhm7mu ... 0.png/file

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:31 am

It works perfectly!

Faustorgo

Post by Faustorgo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:25 pm

Nice!

Ramue

Post by Ramue » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:21 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:31 am
It works perfectly!

My hope is this can be given to turtle so they can replace those old TBC beta models for their high elves when ever they next send out an update to their client.

The men are mostly fine but women are much further from finished with those beta models.

Either way When ever this goes live to your mod I am 100% using it! <3

Heroclastus

Post by Heroclastus » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 am

Thx from me too for all the effort. I wish I could help with the 3d assets but I don't have the knowledge 🥺

Any chance that one can correct items that aren't held in th correct hand, e.g. gnome female holds food/drink,mining pick/blacksmith Hammer in the wrong hand ?

Albusturt

Post by Albusturt » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:10 pm

Would there be compatibility problems if this was used in other servers without High Elf or Goblin custom races?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:50 pm

Albusturt wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:10 pm
Would there be compatibility problems if this was used in other servers without High Elf or Goblin custom races?
This one specifically? Yes. This patch is built upon an existing patch that is made for completely unmodified vanilla servers. I used to have those on my Drive as well, but have since removed them. They can be found online, however.

Silcrow

Post by Silcrow » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:01 pm

Alright, I edited "crest's" work. See if any of these work.

https://mega.nz/file/xZpwgK6a#R6JWn5vj_ ... Kn5rj3rvRo

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:02 am

Silcrow wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:01 pm

Still having a bit of glitching on some. Could I get the original PNGs you made?

Jaccob

Post by Jaccob » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 pm

Do you know if its technically possible to upscale textures?
E.g taking cow texture that is 512×512, upscaling to 1024×1024 and reimporting the texture to wow.

Samsam

Post by Samsam » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 pm

TWoW custom textures, such as this warpainted orc face:

Are fucked up with the HD-patch:

So I tried to do that custom war paint for the HD textures with photoshop and it came out pretty nice (ignore his black body):

So it's possible to make the custom skins for the HD pathc, however it will take a LOT of time, but maybe I will try it out.

Ydithe

Post by Ydithe » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:19 pm

in regards to the custom skins, how hard would it be to use the Death Knight unique skin tones that were introduced in Wrath but have been updated along with everything else and specifically tying that to the Human Death Knight donation skin? or for that mater to use the other races skin for undead version of those races?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:25 am

Samsam wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 pm

So I tried to do that custom war paint for the HD textures with photoshop and it came out pretty nice (ignore his black body):

So it's possible to make the custom skins for the HD pathc, however it will take a LOT of time, but maybe I will try it out.
Any artistic contributions are appreciated. If you'd like to take a serious crack at this, I can provide you with the specific files from Turtle for which we don't have HD assets, as well as the files that we do have for reference / as a foundation.

Here's the converted PNGs of all the Orc textures in the HD pack, and the Turtle custom Orc textures:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/a49uhzlf ... Gs.7z/file
Last edited by Redmagejoe on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:26 am

Silcrow wrote:

Would like to see the original PNGs that you made, rather than the converted BLPs, due to some glitching similar to Crestian's after using a particular tool. Could you please just send me the PNG versions?

Faustorgo

Post by Faustorgo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:19 am

Samsam wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 pm

Nice work bro :D

Succubophile

Post by Succubophile » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:48 pm

I really like it, but I have a lot of crashes in random places (12 in 5 days) :c

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:32 pm

If you're getting memory crashes, it's worth considering getting the 4gb patch for 32-bit executables. This patch demands more memory than just playing the base game.

Soleman

Post by Soleman » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:29 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:32 pm
If you're getting memory crashes, it's worth considering getting the 4gb patch for 32-bit executables. This patch demands more memory than just playing the base game.
Any chance you could link to that patch? I'm getting these random crashes now and again.

Succubophile

Post by Succubophile » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am

I used the Large Address Aware. It worked better, but crashes sometimes still happen.

Samsam

Post by Samsam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm

Here are the male warpaint-faces:
https://mega.nz/file/oCUViJrB#Eo6IlfBPJ ... wQSGnCu66I

I named them correctly, they should work as is when inserted in the MPQ. Let me know what do you think, is it visually good enough?

Edit: Can I have your discord so it's easier to communicate?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:57 pm

Samsam wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm
Here are the male warpaint-faces:
https://mega.nz/file/oCUViJrB#Eo6IlfBPJ ... wQSGnCu66I

I named them correctly, they should work as is when inserted in the MPQ. Let me know what do you think, is it visually good enough?

Edit: Can I have your discord so it's easier to communicate?
I don't have a Discord. Best way to reach me is on here.

These look and work great! There's some minor parity that's more OCD than anything for OrcMaleFaceLower09_00.blp (the war paint bands are thinner than the others), but I can totally deploy this unless you wanted to try your hand at other needed assets.

Silcrow

Post by Silcrow » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:42 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:26 am
Silcrow wrote:

Would like to see the original PNGs that you made, rather than the converted BLPs, due to some glitching similar to Crestian's after using a particular tool. Could you please just send me the PNG versions?
The PNG's I used were the same ones from the file you posted that contained Crestian's edits. If you still have those, then you have the same ones as me. I already have a hunch as to what textures didn't work. If you can provide the HD PNG's, unaltered, then I can see about editing them then converting them to BLP. If not, then I'll try to edit Crestian's work to function properly. Or if you are missing his files then I can re-post them.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:28 am

Silcrow wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:42 am
The PNG's I used were the same ones from the file you posted that contained Crestian's edits. If you still have those, then you have the same ones as me. I already have a hunch as to what textures didn't work. If you can provide the HD PNG's, unaltered, then I can see about editing them then converting them to BLP. If not, then I'll try to edit Crestian's work to function properly. Or if you are missing his files then I can re-post them.
I was afraid of that. As I stated, those PNGs were merely references for what the finished product should look like, but the PNGs themselves should not be used, copied, etc. The files are completely corrupt and can never be a usable BLP.

As I did for the Orc face fix Samsam did, I'll convert working BLPs into PNGs that can then be edited to LOOK like the PNGs in that "crest.7z". Please leave your finished work in PNG format, and leave the BLP conversion to me.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zfzd8x7k ... ng.7z/file

These are the currently working HD Night Elf hair textures, converted to PNG. If you could recreate them with the same colors used in the PNGs provided in "crest.7z" with the same names (_08 and _10) it would be greatly appreciated. I will convert them to BLPs and put them in a test patch, and if it works, merge it into the current live patch.

Samsam

Post by Samsam » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:11 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:57 pm

I don't have a Discord. Best way to reach me is on here.

These look and work great! There's some minor parity that's more OCD than anything for OrcMaleFaceLower09_00.blp (the war paint bands are thinner than the others), but I can totally deploy this unless you wanted to try your hand at other needed assets.
I want to atleast try to convert all of the custom skins for all races. For the orc Mag'har skin and the grey skin which's name I already forgot kind of exists already in HD. Or well, the colors exists, the tattoos and "decorations" don't but using those skin files for those custom skins is good enough imo.

I will post files here every time I manage to convert something into HD, but as I said it will be probably a long process.

Silcrow

Post by Silcrow » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:42 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:28 am
Silcrow wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:42 am
I was afraid of that. As I stated, those PNGs were merely references for what the finished product should look like, but the PNGs themselves should not be used, copied, etc. The files are completely corrupt and can never be a usable BLP.

As I did for the Orc face fix Samsam did, I'll convert working BLPs into PNGs that can then be edited to LOOK like the PNGs in that "crest.7z". Please leave your finished work in PNG format, and leave the BLP conversion to me.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zfzd8x7k ... ng.7z/file

These are the currently working HD Night Elf hair textures, converted to PNG. If you could recreate them with the same colors used in the PNGs provided in "crest.7z" with the same names (_08 and _10) it would be greatly appreciated. I will convert them to BLPs and put them in a test patch, and if it works, merge it into the current live patch.
Here is my edits. There wasn't much of a difference between the old _08 and _10 files. I tried to give them a slight difference with one being near black and one very dark grey.

https://mega.nz/file/UcozAYzR#S996E1QNL ... qsZGUbzvAg

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:31 am

Hmm, I wish I could figure out why the faces turn completely black in the last few versions... I'm not familiar enough with the graphics attributes to know why the client isn't displaying faces properly with the new hairs. I'll try to speak to someone else who works with client edits.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:38 pm

The hair itself works properly. I'm trying to narrow down if the problem lies in the scalp textures or the facial textures.