Soft Reserve

Moderator: Gifted

Chlo

Re: Soft Reserve

Post by Chlo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:58 pm

I asked a question in raid today but didn't want to hammer the point since we needed to get on with killing baddies so will request to discuss it again now.

My question was pretty much "does winning a BOP epic mean you lose your reserve on a later piece of loot?" and the answer received was "no". Myself and various other players were confused by this.

From my understanding, the purpose of the soft reserve system was to reward the players who show up week after week (and month after month) with only one or two items left that they need. By allowing the player's loot reserve to stand no matter what they win prior, the system can and perhaps will be abused.

For example, it is in the best interests of any player who does not need a specific item from an earlier boss (such as Brutality Blade/QSR) to opt for a later-boss item as their choice of reserved item. For example the Choker of the Fire Lord, Cloak of the Shrouded Mists, Perdition's Blade, Cauterising Band, Wild Growth Spaulders etc.

Newer players are then able to scoop up a bunch of earlier loot, often uncontested such as the warlock shoulders and mage legs today, as well as loads of priest gear. The player then will *still* be able to have a shot at the late-raid item they picked to reserve, no matter what they have already received, by virtue of their earlier wins not counting. Why the heck would a new healer not pick the ring or the shoulders (if they can use leather)? They will be afforded the opportunity to win loads of other stuff beforehand and roll on the reserved late-raid item too. It would be pointless for them to reserve earlier gear since it can be won anyway with no consequences.

I would submit that if you have already won an epic, you should be leaving the raid happy. If you need many items and have won one of several upgrades, you have not left empty-handed and have plenty of time to attend more raids and collect lots of loot! Players that only need one item should not miss out or have a lower chance to win due to other epics not counting.

Xerron

Post by Xerron » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Ezuba wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:11 pm
I'm in favor of this system. That being said, can the burden of re reserving items be put on the people who got loot instead of becoming a weekly chore for all to do?
The process of getting reserves into the game is half-automated.
This means that Discord allows us to export the whole channel into a json file, then I have a few lines of code that extracts just the messages 'Player - item' and converts it into a format that my res addon can understand eg: ["Tyrelys"] = "Band of Accuria" and that gets auto loaded into the addon

I like to reset the channel because I don't want to rely on people to delete/update their reserves, some forget, some don't care after they get it, some can't make it next week, etc, and some people like to see exactly what is reserved and what's not for the next raid so they can adapt their res.
E.R.

Ezuba

Post by Ezuba » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:23 am

I like to reset the channel because I don't want to rely on people to delete/update their reserves, some forget, some don't care after they get it, some can't make it next week, etc, and some people like to see exactly what is reserved and what's not for the next raid so they can adapt their res.

If they don’t update it, it will come up that they want it and they will say no I got that last week.

Some forget is a reason to have it carry over not a reason to reset it.

Some don’t care after they get it. Why are we pandering to those that don’t care?

Some can’t make it next week. Well when we are deciding loot they won’t be getting it since they aren’t present.

Some people like to see exactly what is reserved and what's not for the next raid so they can adapt their res. These would be people trying to game the system, why are we pandering to them? They could still update their reserve anyway so it’s also a mute point.

Ezuba

Post by Ezuba » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Partially bumping my previous post. Also wanted to bring up an idea that was put into discord voice chat last weekend that maybe shouldn't be swept under the rug.

Someone suggested (maybe it was Chlo?) that if you have reserved an item you should NOT be able to roll against others on other contested items. This would make the reserve more so favor the veteran players that only need one item and reduce the use of reserving an item to game the system by newer raiders. Having a negative impact of having a reserve would discourage people from just reserving the most sought after items and then getting the rest of their loot too.

-Astrld

Xerron

Post by Xerron » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:06 pm

bump for updates
E.R.