Want to play a ret paladin but..

Freddofooz

Want to play a ret paladin but..

Post by Freddofooz » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Title, for a fair few years now i have wanted to play a ret pally high elf, and now i can! but the problem is ik ret pally in classic wasn't the best, and i'm worried of spending all the time levelling them up then them just being useless. I'm not a hard core player by any means, i don't wanna chase goals etc and will probably only raid when i want to just for fun (goes for dungeons too). But i dont wanna feel like i'm weighing people down either with my presence, is there something i have missed with ret pallys in turtle wow maybe? Please lemme know :)

Zhohan

Re: Want to play a ret paladin but..

Post by Zhohan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi, Freddofooz, and welcome to Turtle WoW. hiding_smth_turtle_head

The design behind Turtle WoW's continued development of vanilla are additions or minor changes to classes to help fill the gap and give underdog specializations a fighting chance at endgame.

These two sources may help you come to your decision about playing retribution paladin in the December 27 1.16 Mysteries of Azeroth patch:

Talents: https://talents.turtle-wow.org/paladin
Class changes: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2197

Consecration (which is now baseline), Judgement of Righteousness, and Retribution Aura will now scale better with spellpower. Crusader Strike is being added into the game, but it is mana intensive and uses a debuff slot. As it stacks unlike Judgement of the Crusader, it might be best used to help protection paladins tank dungeons and raids (which will still not be easy) and likely rare. I would think of Crusader Strike as more of a paladin Sunder Armor rather than more direct damage. Holy Strike is also having its cooldown increased by 2 seconds. While consecration is now baseline, Sanctity Aura will takes its place at 11 points into Holy tree. Retribution is now receiving Blessing of Kings again (like in patch 1.1). I imagine Turtle raids even with higher population wouldn't mind having one ret paladin for Kings, BUT that's assuming you're willing to put in that extra work. So while paladins as a whole are getting buffed, Ret I can't imagine will be in that much better of a place in raids.

HOWEVER, as a paladin, you are a hybrid class. I think you will get the most fun out of your class if you treat it as a hyrbid. Why not run dungeons and raids with something like this build:
https://talents.turtle-wow.org/paladin/Z5JCW6V-0-Z00V
Wear some tier gear with a fast two hander, deal holy damage, and judge your targets to help benefit your group (Holy Shock is getting a buff too). When you don't need to heal, you're dealing damage! This can be done in raids too, and I'd hope to see more players embrace hybrid classes. While this may not scratch your retribution itch, DPS/Healing/Support hybrid playstyle is far easier to get into groups with, and will teach you more about the class overall. I know far too many people who thought Arthas was cool, and decided to spec full ret with limited understanding of their class.

The Turtle Team has mentioned in the past that these changes are not set in stone, and if they find a way to buff Retribution further without upsetting the balance of the game, they likely will in a future update.

I hope this helped clarify some things about the upcoming patch, and give you an idea of what you want to play.
satisfied_turtle

Freddofooz

Post by Freddofooz » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:29 am

I see, thanks for the reply, after awhile of thinking, i think ima do a mix, I'm going to main a human fury warrior for those max dps.

And on the side play my High elf Paladin RP toon. Best of both worlds imo ^^

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:48 pm

oh, if you want to play ret paladin by any means do it! patch 1.16 will make them excelent suport dpsers (you'll be loved by the utility you give rather than the dmg)

Freddofooz

Post by Freddofooz » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Reploidrocsa wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:48 pm
oh, if you want to play ret paladin by any means do it! patch 1.16 will make them excelent suport dpsers (you'll be loved by the utility you give rather than the dmg)
Oooh i see, what sort of ultility exactly?

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:31 pm

Freddofooz wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:03 pm
Reploidrocsa wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:48 pm
Oooh i see, what sort of ultility exactly?
judgements and auras for the most part.
Judgement debuffs are very powerful (light/wisdom especially) but lasts 10 seconds unless you attack the target. Holy paladins won't go into melee and autoattack so having someone to apply those debuffs is always welcome.

Same with auras, being in melee range ensures your powerful auras will affect the rest of the melee members in your group

Thefishyone

Post by Thefishyone » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:37 pm

If you want to know more about Ret Pallying in Vanilla, I’d have a chat with Theoloras. He’s one of the most experienced Ret Pallies on this server, and can point you in the right direction.