One of the two Rogue class quests that was cut from the game is about a named NPC in Bael Modan - Lord Cyrik Blackforge. According to the scraps we have, he was intended to be part of the Assassin's League and be wanted by Undercity for the murder of the leader of the Deathstalkers. I liked this idea but thought:
1) It would make more sense if he was wanted by the Assassin's League for this crime - trying to assassinate the leader of the Deathstalkers could bring an entire nation down on the League, who would not be capable of fighting a war against a true army.
2) Wanton murder with witnesses (how else would UC be looking for Blackforge unless there were witnesses?) isn't in the style of a secret society that hides in the mountains and has gone to great pains to make sure they are largely unknown to the public.
3) Why would Undead Rogue trainers pass on messages from an organization whose member(s) seem to attack the Deathstalkers?
4) How can a level 23 mob reasonably kill a (presumably) level 60 or 63 mob?
This quest, Redeeming the League
would immediately chain after the Detect Traps quest and would be immediately available from Farhad. It would address all four of the problems I mentioned and would be available to Rogues of every race. This would require 2 changes to Blackforge:
1) He would have to drop Cyrik's Head
2) He would have to become neutral to Alliance characters. I think this would make sense as he is stated to be a member of the Assassin's League in cut content but is not stated to be a member of the Alliance outside of the fact that he is currently in hiding with Alliance mobs. This DOES give an advantage to Alliance rogues, as they could just walk past any dwarven mobs in the area, but I don't think he is particularly THAT far behind any mobs to matter that much.
Completion of the quest would award the choice of: Footpad's Shortbow
or Footpad's Shoes
I'm open to rebalancing of the quest rewards, rewriting of any of the quest, etc. Constructive criticism is 100% appreciated! My biggest concern is that +1 stealth may be OP for a mid-20's item, but I cut the armor (slightly lower than level 20 boots) and the agi (slightly lower than level 20 blue boots) to accommodate this change. I can buff the agi and armor and remove the +stealth if needed.
I wasn't sure which Quest IDs and Item IDs in the recommended ID range have been taken already, so I left those fields blank. I can fill them in if needed.