Progressive Rates

Parcival

Re: Progressive Rates & More

Post by Parcival » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Then we should have another poll about the rates. If the vast majority feels the 0.5x exp rates are too much, they can go to 1x. Sort of what we have now - with the option to continue playing full 0.5x, or keep with the progressive new rates.

Eitherway, something has to be done to get new players interested and keep those already playing, going forward. I've just today realized, the entirety of Delvers Inc is gone, together with Oakbound and Renegades. Basically every guild which was present from launch day, except the Brewery, is disbanded. We barely get 100 people on peak times. So - a poll to decide for the rates? Hear, hear?

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 pm

I doubt the problem lies in the rates. It's rather the lack of promotion (reddit, other media) and the server identity itself (true RP or not? lowered rates or not really?).
I mean, there are a lot more populated 1.12 servers with x1 rates or above, but Turtle is probably the only RP on 1.12.
I'm not saying x1 rates is a bad idea, but it's certainly not enough.
Since the unique trait of our server, which was 0.5 rates, has (partially) failed, maybe we should find another "magnet" for players?
Maybe expanding the RP areas and promote them as server's key feature is a way to go?
I don't know... on the other hand, RP servers are always destined to low population.
Maelstrom, Night Elf Druid
Namito, High Elf Mage
Adashi, Night Elf Hunter
dead_turtle_head

Josefina

Post by Josefina » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Parcival wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:00 pm
Then we should have another poll about the rates. If the vast majority feels the 0.5x exp rates are too much, they can go to 1x. Sort of what we have now - with the option to continue playing full 0.5x, or keep with the progressive new rates.

Eitherway, something has to be done to get new players interested and keep those already playing, going forward. I've just today realized, the entirety of Delvers Inc is gone, together with Oakbound and Renegades. Basically every guild which was present from launch day, except the Brewery, is disbanded. We barely get 100 people on peak times. So - a poll to decide for the rates? Hear, hear?
I think we had a discussion about the rates, and that is how we got the progressive rates, as well as full XP in dungeons. At least 600 new accounts have been registered since last week, according to the site counter. That’s a positive sign. We have a core group of players logging in most days, and I think more are being added. I definitely have seen an uptick in RPing, even if very casually. Reddit posts about Turtle WoW keep coming up, and despite a few dedicated naysayers, the posts are overwhelmingly positive.

I think there will be more and more people that venture over here once the Classic demo is over, and it will be our job to convince them to stay. Sure, rates may keep people away, but I think it’s much more likely the community makes them stay. I’ve had so many great experiences. Multiple people have sent me schematics because I’m an outspoken engineer. I’ve had people open trade to give me green items. And many people will RP with me, even just a bit. Let’s jeep that up, and I think we will develop a small, but homey community and server.

Justice

Post by Justice » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Greetings!

I have a doubt: I earn too much experience after the new system of rates.

I chose hardcore mode (it's x0,5 exp I guess so), but to put one example: when I finished the quest ''The Missing Diplomat'' (last part) the reward is 575 experience (x1 system) and I got 5750 experience (x10).

What am I missing? The reward in x0,5 system should be 287,5 exp If I am right.

Forgive me if I wrote something wrong. English is not my mother language.

Thank you for reading, regards.

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Modified experience rates do not apply to quest exp, only to mob exp, thus no matter if you choose progressive rates or flat 0.5 , you still should get 100% exp from quests.
However, that x10 you're talking about seems strange, maybe that's just a bug.
Maelstrom, Night Elf Druid
Namito, High Elf Mage
Adashi, Night Elf Hunter
dead_turtle_head

Parcival

Post by Parcival » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Dodge wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 pm
I doubt the problem lies in the rates. It's rather the lack of promotion (reddit, other media) and the server identity itself (true RP or not? lowered rates or not really?).
I mean, there are a lot more populated 1.12 servers with x1 rates or above, but Turtle is probably the only RP on 1.12.
I'm not saying x1 rates is a bad idea, but it's certainly not enough.
Since the unique trait of our server, which was 0.5 rates, has (partially) failed, maybe we should find another "magnet" for players?
Maybe expanding the RP areas and promote them as server's key feature is a way to go?
I don't know... on the other hand, RP servers are always destined to low population.
We should have a post to discuss ways of advertisement. That's something I'm suggesting. Let the community give their ideas to how best we can spread the word of this server's existence.

Justice

Post by Justice » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Dodge wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:14 pm
Modified experience rates do not apply to quest exp, only to mob exp, thus no matter if you choose progressive rates or flat 0.5 , you still should get 100% exp from quests.
However, that x10 you're talking about seems strange, maybe that's just a bug.
If I get 100% exp from quests (x1) I should get 575 exp not 5750. crying_turtle

Yaso

Post by Yaso » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm

I think there are several reasons for low population:

a) Rates:

I personally don't get the low rates thing. I consider WoW questing a horrible pain and necessary must-do to get to higher levels. The only time questing was fun was doing it for the first time back in 2004, because it was a new thing to MMORPGS.
There are some nice quests in WoW, also some that might have a roleplay flair. But imho the majority of the quests are pretty much boring ("Hello. Welcome to this new random camp in the desert. You don't know me and it also doesn't matter who I am, but please collect six blue mushrooms and bring them to me. For some reason, I am then willing to exchange this magic sword for the six mushrooms.").
Please note that this is my personal view. Maybe I am alone with it. But due to a vast number of past private servers, the classic player base has leveled to 60 again and again and again. I feel like I could list most of the quests from a Horde 1 to 60 route from my pure memory.
I tried the turtle server and got to level 12 before I stopped playing because it was too slow and felt sadistic. I might try again now that the rates are better, but they are still terrifying for me.

b) PvP and PvE:

I like what you did with the optional PvP tag. From what I remember, PvP servers have always attracted more people than PvE. Open world PvP was one of the awesome things in classic WoW. From a roleplay perspective, I also feel like it is a must have.
Also, if you don't want people to rush to 60 - what's better than enabling PvP. PvP slows down. If you want to rush, you are likely to turn PvP off, because there is no exp to gain and getting killed in the middle of a quest costs time.

c) Image and promotion:

I like the roleplay idea. I like the idea of trying to work on a community that's more mature and more relaxed. (In this regard, I agree that slower rates might have been a good idea, by the way - slow rates require patient people and toxic communities usually lack patience a lot). But currently, Turtle WoW has the Image of (pardon me) and old people society of nerds hurting themselves with slowed down exp rates ;)

I think the solution leading to higher population could be:

Normalize exp rates (or at least give people an option to do so).
Make PvP the default - but allow people to turn it off.
Implement strict rules and code of conducts + punishment in case of violence. Consider things like public tribunals on the Forum, if it's too much work for the Team to enforce it. If some1 violates the play-nice-policy and you can prove it, do it in a respective forum section and let registered users judge it. If the verdict is negative, ban them for X days to get to their senses.
Go out there and promote it big.

And Finally - and perhaps the hardest part:

Wipe the server with the new ruleset. I know it sounds harsh, but: new servers are most attractive after launch, just like people like their bread fresh. Could also add a 2nd new server with that rule-set and after 3-4 weeks, you merge them.

Propeeves

Post by Propeeves » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 am

How does the reward tracking work? If I have a level 5 character I levelled up on normal rates, but decide to go to 0.5x, will I still get the rewards at 20?

Pigglebee

Post by Pigglebee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:11 am

Yaso wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm
Wipe the server with the new ruleset. I know it sounds harsh, but: new servers are most attractive after launch, just like people like their bread fresh. Could also add a 2nd new server with that rule-set and after 3-4 weeks, you merge them.
This bread is still very fresh. There's like 3 or 4 60s, no raiding, no AH inflation, the vast majority of players is 15-30.
On horde side, there is like 2 or 3 healers over 35.

Restarting this server would probably mean you lose another 3/4 of the players who accepted the 0.5xp rate and have to start over again.
[Pickles, lvl 60 Tauren druid]

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:24 am

Greetings!

It has been 2 weeks since we first released our reward system for hardcode mode. As promised, rewards have now been changed. Here is a list of the new rewards you can claim for playing on hardcore mode:

Level 20:
  • Portable Meeting Stone
  • Unique Pet
Level 30:
  • Unique Pet
Level 40:
  • Fast Purple Tallstrider
Level 50:
  • Unique Tabard
  • 20 Slot Backpack
Level 60:
  • 250 Turtle Tokens
  • Swift Riding Turtle

Hardcore mode will now only be available up until level 10. If you do not select it by this level, you will remain on normal mode without the option to change.

We hope you enjoy the new rewards.
We reserve the right to change rewards if we feel like we have something better to offer :)

Riding Skill will not return as hardcore reward.

Laizek

Post by Laizek » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 am

Thanks for heads up Torta! What's Highborne Soul Mirror exactly? **^blushes^** I'm about to hit 30.

Raven

Post by Raven » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 am

Now everyone will have tabards: (

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:56 am

Updated this post: viewtopic.php?p=1287#p1287

Jcarrill0

Post by Jcarrill0 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 am

Torta wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:24 am
Greetings!

It has been 2 weeks since we first released our reward system for hardcode mode. As promised, rewards have now been changed. Here is a list of the new rewards you can claim for playing on hardcore mode:

Level 20:
  • Portable Meeting Stone
  • Unique Pet
Level 30:
  • Unique Pet
Level 40:
  • Fast Purple Tallstrider
Level 50:
  • Unique Tabard
  • 20 Slot Backpack
Level 60:
  • 250 Turtle Tokens
  • Swift Riding Turtle

Hardcore mode will now only be available up until level 10. If you do not select it by this level, you will remain on normal mode without the option to change.

We hope you enjoy the new rewards.
We reserve the right to change rewards if we feel like we have something better to offer :)

Riding Skill will not return as hardcore reward.
@TurtleWow Staff, Correct me if I am wrong, but anyone can get Portable Meeting Stone at any level from Speedy. If so,is this reward list accurate? if not, can we update the first post to be more comprehensive?

Pompa

Post by Pompa » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:44 am

Jcarrill0 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 am
@TurtleWow Staff, Correct me if I am wrong, but anyone can get Portable Meeting Stone at any level from Speedy. If so,is this reward list accurate? if not, can we update the first post to be more comprehensive?
It's actually a reward inside the first box, just in case someone doesn't know that you can get it for free before that. I have updated it though, because there is another reward at level 20 (a cool shirt!).

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Sawbones Shirt not only cool 'cuz red it's also, cool since you can get your hands on one only if you're clearing Scholomance.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Kydrex

Post by Kydrex » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:15 pm

With such great rewards, why would someone NOT choose hardcore mode?
I'm just starting my character and I already chose it! :)

Torta

Re: Progressive Rates

Post by Torta » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:29 pm

Updated the information in the main post to avoid any confusion for newcomers.
New HM thread is: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=482
New Beginner's Guild thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=483