Poll: Undead Hunters — yes or not?

Poll: Should we implement Undead Hunters in 1.15.2?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 124

Qixel

Re: Poll: Undead Hunters — yes or not?

Post by Qixel » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:12 pm

I continue to vouch for the complete opening of all classes for all races. Blizzard didn't care about the lore when deciding them, and neither should we. So, yes, undead hunters would be great. For those saying it makes no sense, gnomes can be warriors and hold back the blows of dragons, orcs can be in tune with the elements of a world they tried to destroy, and undead can already be priests. It's a fantasy game. Stop being hypocritical about when sense matters.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:24 pm

Qixel wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:12 pm
I continue to vouch for the complete opening of all classes for all races. Blizzard didn't care about the lore when deciding them, and neither should we. So, yes, undead hunters would be great. For those saying it makes no sense, gnomes can be warriors and hold back the blows of dragons, orcs can be in tune with the elements of a world they tried to destroy, and undead can already be priests. It's a fantasy game. Stop being hypocritical about when sense matters.
I agree that even existing class / race combos are not perfect. Lore consistency is a good thing but in this case it makes no sense to think what's possible and what's not. We have Undead Holy Priests already, you know.

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:45 pm

+1 for all race all class

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:56 pm

I imagine a limiting factor would be expanding the class selection beyond 6, just from a technical standpoint, but lorewise there's no issue. <3 We have non-male-ight-elf druids, we have undead priests, we have orc warlocks. Every argument is more or less defeated by the existence of those three (how did they learn, how is it possible, how is it tolerated?), so it's fine. <3

Grayhammer

Post by Grayhammer » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:26 pm

I think Undead hunters have a right to exist, I would however edit them to be dark rangers and allow them to have their class-Race, and possibly adding another to ally to further diversify the factions.

Just something to consider. (Or simply have the pets all take undead form/models)
It's Cathlanna!

Bayanni

Post by Bayanni » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:52 pm

I know it's basically a meme at this point, but Tauren really do need another class.
They're the only race with four class options while all of the rest have at least five.
Mage/Warlock is of course right out for tauren, which just leaves priest, rogue, and paladin, all of which I'd be ok with but totally understand the implications of tauren paladins and imbalancing pvp like that.
Honestly, cow priest is the most likely to work lore-wise but also the most work for the devs with the custom spells and balancing and whatnot. I'd much rather tauren get something new because they need it gameplay-wise.

All that said, yes to dwarf mages, and I'd be good with dwarf shamans too.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Torta wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:24 pm
I agree that even existing class / race combos are not perfect. Lore consistency is a good thing but in this case it makes no sense to think what's possible and what's not. We have Undead Holy Priests already, you know.
And bingo...

Anyhow, I am in support of undead hunters.

Mainly because other than 'paladin', I can't see Tauren being rogues, warlocks, mages or priests. Doesn't fit. Neither does Paladin, and there is the Vanilla shaman/pally split (which is fine).

Hence, I just don't know another Horde balancing race/class that wouldn't be kinda offensive to lore.

So Undead Hunter it is (best option).

Velite

Post by Velite » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:33 am

Bayanni wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:52 pm
I know it's basically a meme at this point, but Tauren really do need another class.
They're the only race with four class options while all of the rest have at least five.
Mage/Warlock is of course right out for tauren, which just leaves priest, rogue, and paladin, all of which I'd be ok with but totally understand the implications of tauren paladins and imbalancing pvp like that.
Honestly, cow priest is the most likely to work lore-wise but also the most work for the devs with the custom spells and balancing and whatnot. I'd much rather tauren get something new because they need it gameplay-wise.

All that said, yes to dwarf mages, and I'd be good with dwarf shamans too.
A tauren priest would be a good candidate to get fear ward on the horde actually.

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:48 am

Qixel wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:12 pm
I continue to vouch for the complete opening of all classes for all races. Blizzard didn't care about the lore when deciding them, and neither should we.
This is really a good point. And had it be like just "all classes for all races", I'd be full heart for Yes. (At least, no-one is forced to play a combo they don't like)
But the question was "we need to compensate Horde for Dwarf mages, should it be Undead hunters?", so I oppose. There are other combos that would be really appreciated on Horde (already mentioned it the thread), esp. Taurens need some ❤

Valadorn

Post by Valadorn » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:10 pm

I would like to mention that if Undeads have Hunters, Humans should also have them, but I sadly understand that there can not be more than 6 classes / race, which is pretty sad.

Exizefra

Post by Exizefra » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Undead hunters as for me is more logical and lore-friendly than undead priests. Hunter is the absolutely materialistic class without any divine/magic/spirit presence - so i don't see any logical restriction for the undeads to be hunters. Neither the humans (yes, i know about game restriction - and it's sad).

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:51 am

Exizefra wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:25 pm
i don't see any logical restriction for the undeads to be hunters
Except that they don't need to hunt, and that animals do not obey rotting corpses

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Tortuga wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:51 am

Except that they don't need to hunt, and that animals do not obey rotting corpses
They hunt man, the most deadly game of all!

As for animals not obeying, well that's just an excuse to add undead versions of more pet families for them to tame or have a racial for undead hunters that reskins their pets to a zombified version if it's really that game breaking for you.

Balake

Post by Balake » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Why the pets would not obey. Is it because Undead smell very bad?

For the not needing to eat argument, the hunters we play are combatants, not people who's job it is to hunt for food. The Forsaken army logically would employ archer units, they would be valuable against the Scarlet Crusade for example.

Dasajj

Post by Dasajj » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:06 am

Id say there are quite a few pets that would match an undead aesthetic: spiders, bats, demon hounds, carrion, fel bears/wolves from felwood.

Go for it