Gameplay Experience Feedback

Josefina

Re: Gameplay Experience Feedback

Post by Josefina » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:06 pm

My initial feedback is that I've really enjoyed playing all the zones. I've cleared the starting area in Dun Morogh and Elwyn Forest, then the secondary questing areas there and in Teldrassil. I'm nearly done with Thelsamaar, Westfall and Darkshore, and about to go through Wetlands, Redridge and Ashenvale. I'm currently level 21, so I generally outlevel most quests and can complete them with virtually no problem. So, in that regard I think that everything is going great with the original intent. It's been really cool to do quests I never even knew existed even though I began playing in 2005. However, if this becomes more problematic later on, maybe we can adjust the rates up for later on in leveling? IE, after 40 it goes to .75 or something? Not even sure if that's possible.

Second, I've never been on a server with a more overwhelmingly kind population. I've happily abandoned my pre-raid BiS rouge on Elysium for this community. I think that the rates strongly discourage griefers, louts, jerks, and hateful people, and I wouldn't want the server to suddenly be populated with the usual riff raff that get drawn to private servers. Again, maybe having the lowered rates for the first 30-40 levels would be a strong enough deterrent without impacting the ability of good players to join the community. Or maybe quests give 1.5 exp after 30, etc, so that leveling speed increases, but the focus still remains on questing our way through the game.

Maybe another solution is to increase rates in dungeons to encourage grouping for these as a way to level differently. Not crazy, just maybe make those XP rates normal and add XP to BGs to give people multiple ways to level.

Bottom line, this server lends itself to casual play and enjoying things other than grinding out fast leveling and getting to endgame as soon as possible. I'd really be sad to see that change too drastically and open the floodgates of toxicity that might follow.

Kohhektop

Post by Kohhektop » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Good day!
I would normalize the experience, it is very good to raise online, and hence the economy of the server. While I was leveling up the character from 0 to 24, I met a lot of people who didn't like the small amount of experience per kill. It's really very slow.
The idea of sending messages sounds great!
You need more good advertising!
Everything else is fine!

Kainnee

Post by Kainnee » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:53 pm

I think one problem is indeed the low XP rate. It's not so much a problem in the first 20 levels but in the 40s it get's tedious.
I'd suggest to give players the choice to set their rates to "blizzlike" x1. Perhaps give some special - cosmetic turtle themed - reward to people who level all the way to 60 with x0.5 turtle speed.

Pigglebee

Post by Pigglebee » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 pm

Progressive rates seems like a good idea actually. 0.5 up to lvl 25, 0.75 up to lvl 40 and then 1.
And extra xp for quests so you're inclined to do them.

The RP in front of the server type already acts as a community filter so I do not think the wrong crowd will be attracted suddenly.
[Pickles, lvl 60 Tauren druid]

Sgtrussian

Post by Sgtrussian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:06 pm

While leveling both Alliance and Horde, I kept running into the same issue; That being, the fact that there was just never enough players to assist with a difficult quest. Which, I always solved with grinding the living Hell out of the current zone to level-up and gain a new spell to help me along the way. Unfortunately, with the low experience gain I could never make it to the necessary point of progression.

Though this might only be an issue for me, I think raising the experience count to higher, 'classic', or normal rate could be very beneficial for everyone involved. That's just me putting the two cents in. Everything else? Fantastic, rarely have I run into any bugs or game issues otherwise. Aside from the experience gain and player count on either faction did I ever find an issue.

You've really outdone yourselves, fellas.

Talespinner

Post by Talespinner » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 am

Alright, I'll try to make this concise: The experience is excruciatingly painful right now as the highest level Alliance.

On day 1 I tried to roleplay with somebody before leaving Teldrassil: they stared at me for awhile and then walked away (might have been some issue with low levels being muted in chat channels). I then went to Loch Modan and waited for a dwarf with an MRP flag to hop in to town. I waited for a couple hours, and nobody came. Disheartened, I logged off early.

After that I decided to focus on PvE and catch up with the higher levels to help them do dungeons and such. It was a pretty fun time doing all the dungeons available.

But after these 3 weeks a lot of the community I'd played with has quit outright: only 1 person I did dungeons with at level 20 is continuing to play at level 40. I was forced to skip Razorfen Downs, Uldaman, and Zul'Farrak as there was simply not enough players to even attempt them. A good chunk of group quests either had to be done solo, with one other person, or abandoned entirely.

The only times I've done Battlegrounds are Day 1, and one day around level 30. I've queued every single day to no avail.

Much of these high-level players quit either because of server drama, or the looming threat of grinding out a whole level entirely to mobs. There was a sizable amount of players ahead of me at one point, but they've all quit.

Right now I've been grinding out mostly orange quests and accepting quests as soon as I reach the minimum level requirement. There's simply nothing else I can do besides do difficult quests or resign myself to the mob grind which nobody could find fun for more than an hour.

My professions are Tailoring and Enchanting, and consequently I've been hovering around the 10 gold mark ever since I hit level 40. I have not purchased a mount, nor will I be close until level 60. This wouldn't be so bad if the server had any form of economy and I could actually sell things on the AH, or got an Uldaman group so I wouldn't have to wait 10 levels to be able to get to the Enchanting trainer by myself.

And please, don't tell me I've been rushing. I've been clearing out caves and other points of interest in search of treasure, when there's no quests associated with them. I've been levelling as a Moonkin, which is far more expensive and incredibly slow. If I have to mob grind as a Moonkin, I'll likely be forced to have to sit and wait for spirit regen when I run oom: I won't make enough money to afford vendor water, and I've already sold my feral offset to make a little bit more money. I've done every dungeon I could before the alliance's high-end population tanked. I skipped low-level gray quests either to reserve them for doing them in a RP setting or because they'd be too faceroll. I can name 10 things I could have done to be far, far more efficient and faster, but I opted out of being efficient because I just want to have fun playing the game. I'm not rushing at all, I'm just playing the game.

Even if I get to be the server first Alliance character, I still won't get to do anything. The entire rest of the content is locked behind dungeons, I don't have gathering professions to abuse 0 competition for nodes, I'll be the only Alliance queueing for BGs, we won't have enough population to do AV ever, and it'll take about a month to get 5 people to do dungeons at max level. I was having fun in the first week of the server, but now that nearly everyone I'd added to friends has quit I'm practically playing this game entirely alone: the antithesis of Vanilla. Sure I can talk to people in World and stuff, but they're essentially not playing the same game as I am. I also detest carry runs, as they remove the problem-solving elements from the game and don't teach you anything (Yes, I would rather attempt to 4 man Deadmines than do it with a 60. The only case I'd take a carry run is I'm literally the only person on the server who needs Deadmines). So besides the 1 or 2 other people my level range, I'm playing this game almost entirely alone. The world is empty and dead.

Even if I get to 60, the only content available to me will be a select assortment of quests for money, and farming Rares in the open world day after day. It's essentially BFA world quests at that point.

While I was looking forward to trying to progress ZG and MC with only 20 people, I'm not enthused about it if it's going to take months before we can muster up even 10 people.

I tried to do roleplaying, and was setting up a story with Oakley before he quit the server too. I don't want to reroll Horde as I'll have to rewrite my entire character before I even took the first step with her. Right now, RP is the only thing that's going to keep me tied to the server for the foreseeable future. Once the Classic Demo period is over, I'll measure up the prospects and decide if I'm going to spearhead the RP movement on Alliance. But if I see that the roleplaying scene is dead or Classic's on the horizon, there is nothing left for me on this server besides a mind-numbing grind.

In order to address these issues, I would advise the administration to address the server drama in a formal manner that can lay skepticism to rest, or to have some feature that other players can get excited about. When I usually play there is less than 30 people online on Alliance, and it's simply impossible to properly play Vanilla in this atmosphere without a bigger playerbase.
Premier Vanilla Moonkin

Xe

Post by Xe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:47 am

Couldn't have said it any better than Tailspinner. Seems like once you get past 20ish, the population drops and there's no real chance of doing any group content, which is the heart and soul of WoW. I've been continuing to try to level my mage (Flips, level 30), but the number of players online has dropped substantially and just soloing everything isn't too much fun. Normalizing the leveling rate goes against what the server was presented as, but I think it's the right way to go.

Obscurus

Post by Obscurus » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:51 am

Too early for feedback.
Some doesn't like the 0.5 taste, some love it, some just acquiring it. It's novel. Give time to the population to adjust itself.

Maerchen

Post by Maerchen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:26 am

Normalized XP rates, for example, slightly increased rates for quest and/or kill XP
Maybe make it so gray mobs also give 0,5 instead of 0 xp? Should help with leveling and add incentive to do gray quests.
Increased honor gain / reduced decay.
You could lure in people by promoting the 1-9 PvP bracket some more. It's something other servers don't have. Add some low level turtle related rewards that help with early leveling. Wands, Weapons, maybe even a combat turtle pet trinket.
Keep things the same as they are now!
Wouldn't mind personally

Maerchen

Post by Maerchen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:05 pm

I can't seem to edit/delete my post, so I'll have to post another one.

@Tailspinner: You crazy Moonkin turtle_in_love_head
Right now I've been grinding out mostly orange quests and accepting quests as soon as I reach the minimum level requirement. There's simply nothing else I can do besides do difficult quests or resign myself to the mob grind which nobody could find fun for more than an hour.
I've also been grasping for new Quests as soon as they become available. From the 60 in my guild (hi Tav!) I heard that he got pretty close to cap like level 57~early 58 doing only solo content quests. After that it was a grindfest. If you factor in Groupcontent you should be able to hit cap without much of a grind.
Yes you'll have to wait a few weeks for people to catch up, but you could also level an alt while you are waiting. Surely you could come up with an interesting new character if you tried.
My professions are Tailoring and Enchanting, and consequently I've been hovering around the 10 gold mark ever since I hit level 40. I have not purchased a mount, nor will I be close until level 60. This wouldn't be so bad if the server had any form of economy and I could actually sell things on the AH, or got an Uldaman group so I wouldn't have to wait 10 levels to be able to get to the Enchanting trainer by myself.

Also Tailoring / Enchanting and while my Tailoring is fairly up to date (mainly due to gear and 250+ Quests I want to do) my Enchanting hasn't progressed since day one when I rushed for Greater Magic Wand. You will have more than enough time to level it at 60 so there is really no rush. Kinda regretting not dropping it for a gathering profession for all those uncontested nodes but what can you do. Mining/picking Flowers doesn't fit my character anyway.
Being a Warlock and not having to worry about a mount I sit on many hundreds of gold since the mid forties. I don't expect to be able to complete my epic mount quest but we'll see.
Even if I get to 60, the only content available to me will be a select assortment of quests for money, and farming Rares in the open world day after day. It's essentially BFA world quests at that point.

While I was looking forward to trying to progress ZG and MC with only 20 people, I'm not enthused about it if it's going to take months before we can muster up even 10 people.
I'll be bringing epic Raid content in the form of rampant Infernals to a town near you soon. Stay tuned and ready your forces. insidious_turtle