Mortal Mode: Community Poll

Poll: What shall happen to the mortal characters upon their death?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:27 pm

I want character locked and not longer available for playing
65%
I want character to become a normal character upon death
35%

Total votes: 92

Kazgrim

Re: Mortal Mode: Community Poll

Post by Kazgrim » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:14 am

The point of the mode is to lose when you die, so anything other than losing the character doesn't achieve the purpose of such a mode.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Vatas

Post by Vatas » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:41 am

If mortal character just turns into regular character upon death, what reason is there to not start every character as mortal just in case you get lucky?

Editserver

Post by Editserver » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:27 am

If there are only rewards at the end of the journey I would be ok with converting the toon to a normal one upon death. If there are rewards every ten level or so the toon as to die completely imo.

One other thing. There have to be limitations on how the toon can interact with other players and the AH to make it fair. I suggest no trading at all, so old players can't gear up their toons and get an advantage over new players.

Cheers

Goodwater

Post by Goodwater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm

This idea is really interesting, but I have a couple thoughts on it.

Would it make it even harder to find a group if everyone is playing mortal mode and they're afraid they'll die/aren't allowed to group up with others?

Would it create tension and perhaps toxicity if someone accidentally pulls too many mobs during a group quest and the mortal toon dies? Especially at higher levels?

If mortals are allowed to group up with and do dungeons with others, would boosting become an issue for the server?

I would probably even try playing a mortal toon, but those are some concerns I have about it. Not sure how they would be addressed, though. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Dasajj

Post by Dasajj » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Goodwater wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm
This idea is really interesting, but I have a couple thoughts on it.

Would it make it even harder to find a group if everyone is playing mortal mode and they're afraid they'll die/aren't allowed to group up with others?

Would it create tension and perhaps toxicity if someone accidentally pulls too many mobs during a group quest and the mortal toon dies? Especially at higher levels?

If mortals are allowed to group up with and do dungeons with others, would boosting become an issue for the server?

I would probably even try playing a mortal toon, but those are some concerns I have about it. Not sure how they would be addressed, though. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
Usually in Ironman rulesets grouping isn’t allowed, keeping all risk designated to player control to a certain degree. Even if Mortal toons grouped with each other, the risk of permanent death would still be there. Personally I’d remove/reduce grouping if they don’t limit gear/item/profession/AH use.

Turtle wow has done a great job reducing the leveling process with their features, so i think being forced to go solo wouldn’t be too bad a trade off.

Balake

Post by Balake » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:21 pm

The moderators should also have the power to disqualify people if it is apparent that they are using external help. Otherwise, the first person to reach level 60 with the challenge is the player who has his high level friend follow him around help kill every mob after tagging it.

Torta

Post by Torta » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Balake wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:21 pm
The moderators should also have the power to disqualify people if it is apparent that they are using external help. Otherwise, the first person to reach level 60 with the challenge is the player who has his high level friend follow him around help kill every mob after tagging it.
We have no ways to monitor the game 24/7. This isn't an option to watch over everyone's leveling.

Goodwater

Post by Goodwater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 pm

Dasajj wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:04 pm
Usually in Ironman rulesets grouping isn’t allowed, keeping all risk designated to player control to a certain degree. Even if Mortal toons grouped with each other, the risk of permanent death would still be there. Personally I’d remove/reduce grouping if they don’t limit gear/item/profession/AH use.

Turtle wow has done a great job reducing the leveling process with their features, so i think being forced to go solo wouldn’t be too bad a trade off.
That's true. Keeping them from grouping with others would probably alleviate a lot of the problems I mentioned.

However, I worry it would go against the general vibe of vanilla if we had that feature. I play an HCIM on Runescape and I love it, but there's hardly any social aspect in Runescape anyway, so it's not an issue to have the playerbase split like that. Vanilla WoW on the other hand has tons of grouping and social aspects.

I'm not sure if what I'm bringing up would even be a problem, but I suppose it's worth bringing up.

Tthh

Post by Tthh » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:48 pm

will i be able to go hardcore and mortal mode?

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:01 pm

Tthh wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:48 pm
will i be able to go hardcore and mortal mode?
Yes.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Balake

Post by Balake » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Torta wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm
We have no ways to monitor the game 24/7. This isn't an option to watch over everyone's leveling.
Of course but cheaters ruin challenges if they are not stopped. It's unrealistic to expect moderators to watch over people leveling, but in case someone gets caught (after being reported by another player I guess) they should be disqualified from the challenge.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:25 pm

What's stopping people from killing mobs a mortal character is and getting them banned? Sounds like a recipe for griefing to me.

Torta

Post by Torta » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Balake wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:03 pm
Torta wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm
Of course but cheaters ruin challenges if they are not stopped. It's unrealistic to expect moderators to watch over people leveling, but in case someone gets caught (after being reported by another player I guess) they should be disqualified from the challenge.
We could forbid grouping with higher level characters, for the rest it'll be up to players how they level up.

Oswani

Post by Oswani » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Qixel wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:25 pm
What's stopping people from killing mobs a mortal character is and getting them banned? Sounds like a recipe for griefing to me.
Snap screenshot and report it. As Torta said much of this mode's challenge would have to be player run or enforced depending on the system devs create.

Cruciatus

Post by Cruciatus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:42 pm

Those are very exciting news. Since the inpiration comes from Ironman in Runescape, will there be any restrictions regarding bank access?