Ivanbelic89

Re: World of Warcraft 1.15.0

Post by Ivanbelic89 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:31 am

Really great news! Looking forward to it, having a great time here already! :D

Steyr

Post by Steyr » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:15 am

Hello.
Impressed to see the expansion finally out, thank you for your work.

Although, being my boring and paranoid self, a technical question:
Are the files available for manual download a full client of just the files required to replace? I'm using original EnUs client patched to 1.12 (build 5875) and noticed that some "default" game files in downloaded client like "base.mpq" have different size from mine.
Modified web-filter restrictions for LaunchURL() for new logon screen menu:

0x0045CCD8 > *.worldofwarcraft.co.kr to *.turtle-wow.org

0x0045CC9C > *.wowchina.com to *.discord.gg
I guess that part hints that you are using a korean or chinese client. Could that be the reason for the file size difference, or have they been modded as well?

In other words (and to keep it short), is it possible to manually update vanilla client by copying / replacing a few certain files (like "Patch-T.MPQ") or do I need to fully overwrite the game folder?

Also, your original post mentions Discord Rich Presence:
Support for Discord Rich Presence:

0x00004122 > 0x68, 0x60, 0xFF, 0x7F, 0x00, // push 0x007FFF60 (offset to string "DiscordOverlay.dll")
0xFF, 0x15, 0xB4, 0xF2, 0x7F, 0x00, // call ds:LoadLibraryA
0xEb, 0xD1, // jump short _WinMain

0x0000999C > 0x82 // Modification for WinMain call to use our code instead, the original content follows.

0x003FFF60 > String "DiscordOverlay.dll"

New dynamic-link libraries:

discord_game_sdk.dll — this is the official Discord Inc. DLL.

DiscordOverlay.dll — this is our custom DLL which contains actual information about the game required by the Discord application. You can remove it if you want, it will not affect your gameplay.
Is that part of the expansion mandatory to be able to run the game successfully, or is it just a discord support that has no direct impact on the gameplay?

Sorry for spoiling the thread with technical nuances and being a bore overally, I'm just trying to reduce the usage of software that doesn't affect gameplay directly.

Torta

Post by Torta » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 am

Hello! We're using normal enUS 5875 client as base. The URL masks been replaced to allow client to actually open Turtle WoW website, it is a web-filter set by Blizzard so people dont' easily modify GlobalStrings to re-link their menu buttons to something else.

For the Discord DLLs, they're optionally loaded, if present in the game folder, you can delete them and your game will run fine. You maybe noticed that right now CPU is spiking, it's because of the Discord Overlay feature. We will patch it in the next client update (tonight).

We do not provide partial downloads because it's a bad practice to force an average user to jump over the hoops, but you could request someone else to send you the following files:

WoW.exe
Patch-T.MPQ
Both Discord DLLs (optional).

No other parts of the client had been modified.

Steyr

Post by Steyr » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:04 am

Thank you for the fast reply!

I have downloaded the .zip from one of the mirrors you have provided, it contains both .mpq and .exe.
Will try to use them and will post here if I run into any complications.

Regards, Steyr.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:56 am

Torta wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 am
WoW.exe
Patch-T.MPQ
If that's all that's required to update for a drop and run update, why didn't you say so before?

Torta

Post by Torta » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:29 pm

Roxanneflowers wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:56 am
Torta wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 am
WoW.exe
Patch-T.MPQ
If that's all that's required to update for a drop and run update, why didn't you say so before?
It is literally in the first post of this thread.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Torta wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:29 pm
If you KNOW what you're doing ... because you're intimately familiar with everything involved and therefore "know everything" that is needed with absolute clarity ... that's somewhat true.

If you DO NOT KNOW what you're doing ... the instructions are obfuscatory, unclear and open to a WIDE range of possible interpretations, many if not most of them incorrect. The opportunity for ERROR is massive due to unclear instructions.

Look at what you wrote, Torta ...
Torta wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:27 am
Should I download anything?
The update will be automatically downloaded when you login in game. However, if you would like to download the game client prior to release, use one of those links to download World of Warcraft 1.15.0:
What’s new in the game client?
We understand you might feel worried about a private server making changes to your game, so we have compiled a list of updates. Anyone who’s willing to check it could perform the necessary checks and then compare file hashes.

Patch-T.MPQ
Our patch contains all new graphic and DBC assets for our custom expansions: models, items, spells, objects, sounds and much more. If you feel wary about this content, you’re free to open it with any MPQ Editor (for example, Ladik’s MPQ editor) and look inside.

WoW.exe (1.15.0 Build 6000), additional DLLs & TWPatcher.exe
A small application will be uploaded into your game folder. Do not be afraid of it even if some antiviruses might warn you about it. This file simply has yet no publisher info, that’s why it may trigger a red flag. Its purpose is to place the MPQ file into your Data folder and to patch your binary with the following changes:
GlueXML & FrameXML protections removed:
  • 0x2f113a > 0xeb, 0x19
  • 0x2f1158 > 0x03
  • 0x2f11a7 > 0x03
  • 0x2f11f0 > 0xeb, 0xb2

Build values:
  • 0x00434798 > Visual patch version changed from original value of 1.12.1 to 1.15.0
  • 0x001B2122 > Net build version changed from original value of 5875u to 6000u
  • 0x00437BFC > Visual build version changed from original value of 5875 to 6000
  • 0x00434798 > Visual build date changed from Sep 19 2006 to Jan 05 2021

Modified web-filter restrictions for LaunchURL() for new logon screen menu:
  • 0x0045CCD8 > *.worldofwarcraft.co.kr to *.turtle-wow.org
  • 0x0045CC9C > *.wowchina.com to *.discord.gg

Support for Discord Rich Presence:
  • 0x00004122 > 0x68, 0x60, 0xFF, 0x7F, 0x00, // push 0x007FFF60 (offset to string "DiscordOverlay.dll")
    0xFF, 0x15, 0xB4, 0xF2, 0x7F, 0x00, // call ds:LoadLibraryA
    0xEb, 0xD1, // jump short _WinMain
  • 0x0000999C > 0x82 // Modification for WinMain call to use our code instead, the original content follows.
  • 0x003FFF60 > String "DiscordOverlay.dll"

New dynamic-link libraries:
  • discord_game_sdk.dll — this is the official Discord Inc. DLL.
  • DiscordOverlay.dll — this is our custom DLL which contains actual information about the game required by the Discord application. You can remove it if you want, it will not affect your gameplay.

Special thanks for Giperion for his immeasurable effort to assist us with modifying the WoW binary.
I'm not seeing any CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS here of Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 in order to manually replace files from the download mirrors if the downloaded patch doesn't work automagically. There's info for people who know what they're doing ... but not clear instructions for people who DON'T KNOW what they're doing. There's no instructions that explicitly say "Do This But Not That" to give an explicit singular path to follow that eliminates erroneous alternatives that shouldn't be done for people who are not intimately involved with the project and "know everything" already.

Saying ... "Here's a patch, YOU figure it out" ... is simply inadequate.

You need to explain ... clearly ... what needs to be done for a manual patch via file replacement in a way that can be followed by anyone who has never looked at the file structure before. If someone is completely ignorant ... what do they need to DO? What you provided above does not answer that question.
Torta wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:29 pm
Is it?
Is it really?
You detailed What Is New ... but you never explained WHAT TO DO if the auto-update on login doesn't work.

You want to try again?

Torta

Post by Torta » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:53 pm

We provided two options:

1. Downloading one full client for new users.
2. Auto-update on login for old users.

There're no others. What you're asking is too specific, and if you want it, ask other member of the community. I do not approve this way of distributing client updates, nor I want to make it an official method.

Same what Blizzard did back to the old times. I can't imagine any serious project to ask users to download some client parts and search for specific directories to put them in.

However, I understand, that some users may experience problems with update, this happens literally with every software on this planet, because everyone's PC/OS specifications can differ a lot. That's why we spent last 48 hours providing 24/7 support on our discord for everyone who had problems with the update.

Scorpf

Post by Scorpf » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 pm

WARNING

If like me, you got the client from the torrent linked here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=770&p=4048&hilit=torrent#p4048
by Torta ages ago, updating using auto patch for the new content will fail to work due to corrupted interface error message.
This breaks the installed client - the only way to get the new content is to download the new client via links in post 1 of this thread.

HTH

And thanks all involved for the new updates/content

Steyr

Post by Steyr » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:47 pm

Let's not get hostile here, we all know admin is always right :P Besides, introducing changes to any community project is always a lot of pressure, so misunderstandings are bound to happen.

There was a mention of only two required files in another thread ( HERE ).

On my end, I was able to launch the client with just the .mpq and .exe without any problems so far and can try to upload them separately to some file hosting, if anyone needs ( about 1gb size ).

Still the .exe is a win32 file so you will need some means of running it on a non-windows OS.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:44 am

Torta wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:53 pm
That's why we spent last 48 hours providing 24/7 support on our discord for everyone who had problems with the update.
Not everyone does Discord.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Steyr wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:47 pm
There was a mention of only two required files in another thread ( HERE ).

On my end, I was able to launch the client with just the .mpq and .exe without any problems so far and can try to upload them separately to some file hosting, if anyone needs ( about 1gb size ).

Still the .exe is a win32 file so you will need some means of running it on a non-windows OS.
Downloaded the Turtle WoW client (overnight, since it's 6.5GB) and then blended it into the Mac Client I've been using successfully for years now (Elysium, Light's Hope, Symmetry and now Turtle).

Copied over:
patch-T.mpq (to Data folder)
WoW.exe
discord_game_sdk.dll
DiscordOverlay.dll
zlibwapi.dll

Saved old file to different location (for backup purposes if need be):
WoW.exe

Launch game client
Forced download of patch ... that will not install, preventing log in to game servers.

Instructions please.

Greneugs

Post by Greneugs » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:21 pm

Hey Roxanne

Currently the only option to run the 1.15.0 client is through wine. I used to run it exactly how you are talking about. But it has something to do with the version matching etc.

It honestly runs really well on Wine.

download the latest version of wine and install
https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html

then download the Turtle Wow Client. Put that whole folder in your applications folder. Go into the folder and right click the turtlewow.exe (the windows launcher for WoW). select open with. (Wine stable). it will take a few minutes to load and install but it really does work flawlessly

Ikorix

Post by Ikorix » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:17 pm

ty for doing duch a decent job on expansion and for creating such a badass server you should release a server unique version modpack my warlords of draenor modpack dont work correctly due to elf name change etc i think im not sure
Last edited by Ikorix on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ikorix

Post by Ikorix » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:18 pm

holy shit i typed alot