Turtle WoW Launcher

Necropola

Turtle WoW Launcher

Post by Necropola » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:48 pm

It all started with me getting a bit annoyed that the Discord Client on Windows does not detect the Vanilla WoW Client as a game. So in the Member List on the Turtle WoW Discord Server I could see who was playing WoW Classic (or other games), but I could not see who was playing Vanilla WoW or rather Turtle WoW.

I tried a few things with little success until I bumped into the Golang package rich-go which seemed to be able to directly talk to the Local Discord Client and set a Discord Activity. This and the fact that I was looking for a nice pet project to improve my noobish golang programming skills got it really going.

Along the way I became even more ambitious and thought that it would be nice to not only see that someone is currently playing Turtle WoW, but also on which character(s). So I came up with the idea of a Web Service running on the Turtle WoW Realm Server that would provide JSON formatted CharInfo for all characters currently logged on from the requesting IP address.

Long story short. Apart from the actual Web Service running on the Realm Server it's done. I have just released Version 1.0.0 which currently uses a little builtin web service to simulate the only missing part.

Happy Birthday, Turtle WoW!

42 days later ... almost nobody uses the Launcher ... and the few who do are running terribly outdated versions ... and still no ETA for the CharInfo web service on the realm server.

Download Turtle WoW Launcher (Version 1.2.6)

Download Vanilla Launcher with Custom FoV feature (Version 1.2.7)
(Turtle WoW branded via included config file Vanilla.cfg)

The current binary (Vanilla.exe from Launcher-Binary-1.2.7.7z) no longer has Turtle WoW specifics hardcoded into it, i. e. you will need to extract both files (Vanilla.exe and Vanilla.cfg) to your game client folder.

In case you want to check out the new Custom FoV (Field of View) feature you need to make a shortcut to the Vanilla.exe in your game folder and add the -fov ... switch, e. g.

Code: Select all

Target: "...\Vanilla.exe" -fov 1.925
which will change the default view angle of 90° to roughly 110° (similar to the WotLK client). Alternatively you can change the last setting in Vanilla.cfg from

"ModFoV":     ""
to

"ModFoV":     "1.925"
The effect feels a bit like stepping outside to take in a breath of fresh air and you even seem to run faster (no kidding!). Please note that increasing FoV also increases the amount of stuff the client needs to render, i. e. it may have an impact on your frame rate.

Last edited by Necropola on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 23 times in total.
<Gone Fishing>

Torta

Re: TurtleWoW Launcher

Post by Torta » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Well done :) Using it.

Musse

Post by Musse » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 am

I'm so stunned I don't find words. But nice you found something to do with your spare time.

Yutilk

Post by Yutilk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 am

Musse wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 am
I'm so stunned I don't find words. But nice you found something to do with your spare time.
Yea I feel the same way, some people are just really talented :) I will be using it as soon as I get home.
Shaman Raid Tank & expert in off-meta specs: Melee Hunter, Support Warrior, Priest Tank, etc...

Torta

Post by Torta » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Getting better and better witch each revision!

Czarliam

Re: Turtle WoW Launcher

Post by Czarliam » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 am

Necropola wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:48 pm
This is the last version that is Turtle WoW branded and has a pre-compiled executable which you can simply extract from the archive (TurtleWoW-Binary-1.2.6.7z) into your Vanilla game client folder and run instead of the game client.[/color]
unhappy_turtle

I will treasure it... always. I appreciate you!

Torta

Re: Turtle WoW Launcher

Post by Torta » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Up. You can support Turtle WoW by using our official launcher. It's one way to help us to advertise our project!