TurtleWoW Launcher

Necropola

TurtleWoW Launcher

Post by Necropola » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:48 pm

It all started with me getting a bit annoyed that the Discord Client on Windows does not detect the Vanilla WoW Client as a game. So in the Member List on the Turtle WoW Discord Server I could see who was playing WoW Classic (or other games), but I could not see who was playing Vanilla WoW or rather Turtle WoW.

I tried a few things with little success until I bumped into the Golang package rich-go which seemed to be able to directly talk to the Local Discord Client and set a Discord Activity. This and the fact that I was looking for a nice pet project to improve my noobish golang programming skills got it really going.

Along the way I became even more ambitious and thought that it would be nice to not only see that someone is currently playing Turtle WoW, but also on which character(s). So I came up with the idea of a Web Service running on the Turtle WoW Realm Server that would provide JSON formatted CharInfo for all characters currently logged on from the requesting IP address.

Long story short. Apart from the actual Web Service running on the Realm Server it's done. I have just released Version 1.0.0 which currently uses a little builtin web service to simulate the only missing part. The Latest Release also contains a Precompiled Binary which you could simply copy to your WoW folder and run. But the recommended way is of course to build it yourself from source (or wait for staff to build it and provide a safe download location for the executable).

TurtleWoW Launcher on GitHub: Repository
TurtleWoW Launcher on GitHub: Releases

Happy Birthday, Turtle WoW!

Last edited by Necropola on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.
<Gone Fishing>

Torta

Re: TurtleWoW Launcher

Post by Torta » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Well done :) Using it.

Musse

Post by Musse » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 am

I'm so stunned I don't find words. But nice you found something to do with your spare time.

Yutilk

Post by Yutilk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 am

Musse wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 am
I'm so stunned I don't find words. But nice you found something to do with your spare time.
Yea I feel the same way, some people are just really talented :) I will be using it as soon as I get home.
Shaman Raid Tank & expert in off-meta specs: Melee Hunter, Support Warrior, Priest Tank, etc...

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Getting better and better witch each revision!