MyRolePlay for Vanilla (And Also flagRSP and ImmersionRP)

Jolikmc

MyRolePlay for Vanilla (And Also flagRSP and ImmersionRP)

Post by Jolikmc » Sun May 22, 2022 5:16 am

I was skimming the forum, today, and I noticed this post in the GitHub List of VanWoW Addons:
Teki wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:25 am
Is there Myroleplay addon anywhere?
Honestly, even I wasn't sure how or where I found MyRolePlay for Vanilla since, seemingly, it only came into existence around the time of The Burning Crusade (retail). Regardless, here's two dedicated links for the world's most perfect profile RP addon. And also, two other ones people liked.

MyRolePlay (v2.2.2, v2.2.3)
Add a detailed profile to your character and see other characters' profiles in WoW's tooltips.
(AddOn automatically adds your character to "xtensionxtooltip2" and "MyRolePlay" chat channels, which is how it communicates.)

Change Log
Beta v2.2.3 (July 23rd, 2019) by Pompa
(viewtopic.php?p=3508&sid=96d7d1bb934465 ... ba46#p3508)
- Fixed a crash that was happening whenever a player moved the mouse pointer over a GM character.

Beta v2.2.4 (June 17th, 2022) by Jo Li – Removed (Spoiler: It didn't fix anything. I'm sorry.)
- Fixed a bug (hopefully) that would cause MyRolePlay to occasionally return "attempt to index field `?' (a nil value)" errors for lines 637 and 793
(As far as I can figure, this was happening because there was a space between lines 634 and 636, as well as 789 and 791. That shouldn't NORMALLY matter, but I guess either the back-porting of this AddOn was a little shoddy, or Vanilla WoW's LUA architecture is just different enough to sometimes hiccup.)

flagRSP and FriendList
Add a simple profile to your character, see others' profiles in pop-up tooltips, and keep a database of roleplayers.
(AddOn automatically adds your character to "xtensionxtooltip2" chat channel, which is how it communicates.)

ImmersionRP (Alpha 2 or Alpha 3 only)
Add a simple profile to your character and see others' profiles in pop-up tooltips.
(AddOn automatically adds your character to "xtensionxtooltip2" chat channel, which is how it communicates.
 Additionally, ImmersionRP can be set to add your character to "immersioncomm", instead.)

Personally, I recommend MyRolePlay. It has the most options for profiles, such as renaming your character entirely (for you and other MRP users) and maintains full compatibility with flagRSP while offering a pleasing, non-intrusive interface with logical button placement and a few options for customizing tooltips and the like.
If flagRSP2 or ImmersionRP Alpha 4 were available for Vanilla, I would probably be less biased because those versions of the linked AddOns actually have much of the same options. ImmersionRP, in particular, seems to be the complete underdog, here, as the "immersioncomm" channel is frequently abandoned. Of course, that's an optional function, so…

Anyway, MyRolePlay seems the most compatible and most capable across the board – not to mention the least intrusive. (Pop-up profiles? Really?) But again, I'm wholeheartedly biased since the other available RP profile mods aren't as up-to-date as MyRolePlay. That, and I've been using it since at least The Burning Crusade retail. Heh.

06/07/2022 Edit:
I just found out something interesting about this version of MyRolePlay.

It doesn't support line breaks.

Why? I don't know. I just hadn't noticed until now. If you're someone who puts a lot of history or description into your characters, this is kind of awful. Kind of really awful. Everything else about it works great, but line breaks just… don't.

I'll look into it and see if something can't be done but I make no promises…

06/17/2022 Edit:
I attempted to fix the "attempt to index field `?' (a nil value)" errors for lines 637 and 793. There were unnecessary line breaks. I dunno. Weird.
(Spoiler: It didn't work.)
Last edited by Jolikmc on Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Sgttater

Re: MyRolePlay for Vanilla (And Also flagRSP and ImmersionRP)

Post by Sgttater » Mon May 23, 2022 7:31 pm

Does TRP3 not work on this server?

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Fri May 27, 2022 7:30 am

Nope. Classic uses the modern game's coding system for AddOns, so Classic AddOns are not compatible with Vanilla. Ya know… despite the fact Classic is built on top of 1.12.1 rather than be its own thing.

Tarok

Post by Tarok » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Thanks for this!!

Gurky

Post by Gurky » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:43 am

For line breaks in your profile try typing \n where the link break should be. I cannot say forsure if this will work or not but \n in lua addons will do a line break in chat.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:46 am

Doesn't work. The way MyRolePlay does things, it automatically modifies any potential code in any of its fields with an extra backslash, thus allowing things like quotation marks, slashes, and asterisks in the actual character information.

Cyrindy

Post by Cyrindy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:46 am

Anywhere I could troubleshoot for issues on the MRP addon just not working? I have legit no idea why and I've been figuratively slamming my head into a wall for a few hours now.