Question about RP and raids / dungeons

Qesley

Question about RP and raids / dungeons

Post by Qesley » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:20 am

Its my first time on an RP server and so far I'm enjoying it a lot. Growing your character's storyline and history is as much fun as leveling and gearing is. I love it.

My question is how does RP work in raids? Share your experiences or even what your ideal RP raid would be like.

Pigglebee

Re: Question about RP and raids / dungeons

Post by Pigglebee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:00 pm

My experience (vanilla RP PvP & RP PvE) is that raiding RP style in MC or BWL etc does not work. There is not really a reason to RP. Maybe in /s, but not in /r. Which is also what you saw...random RP in /s during the raid but in /r, everybody is focused learning the fights etc.

World PvP raids is great fun in RP style. I recall a huge Gurubashi arena event with multiple guilds (like 200 players in the arena, screenshots were not doing it right, we were one of the first guilds to arrive) where the guild bosses debated in the center until there was an agreement. Then the entire group ran to Stormwind for a raid. It was awesome.

Found some pics of the event:

For some reason, links & pictures do not show. (imgur: /a/nFv9NKw , /a/EYksq4o & /a/EmMuuQg )
[Pickles, lvl 60 Tauren druid]

Sinrek

Re: Question about RP and raids / dungeons

Post by Sinrek » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Qesley wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:20 am
Its my first time on an RP server and so far I'm enjoying it a lot. Growing your character's storyline and history is as much fun as leveling and gearing is. I love it.

My question is how does RP work in raids? Share your experiences or even what your ideal RP raid would be like.
Dunno about guild we have here atmo, but I remember how it used to work on Argent Dawn back in the days.

Damn, sounds like I'm not old age hermit with no health left, but memories of former glory... Anyway.

Once someone grabbed a quest to some raid and was attempting to gather the core raiding party we used to held a meeting in RP style with some campfire stories and sharing the tales of our adventures or about some recent events occured to each one. There was always someone with Thunderbrew Keg and it used to go smooth unless there was too much of ale in the mugs.

Person with quest used to share his pov on the situation and asked for help from others. Some might say "no" but still raid with us, making excuse that the character isn't up for killing something, but he's ready to help mechanicaly and contribute to the raid for the sake of pure loot. Shortly speaking he could say "I'll raid, but not in character, if that's ok with you, guys". Of course, 90% used to have an opinion with attempt to help the person on the quest to complete it.

When raiding we used to have macros (there was no Rp helper addon back then) for attacks and healing with some quotes we thought to be suited for the moment of the casting. Used to be horribly spammy, hence we agreed on merely throwing out a phrase or two in between the fights, while /ra was all about tactics and kill order. Healers used to have separate channel for their macros with healing warning. Later on they started to use addons for that.

Idealy RP raid is possible only when there's a core RP raiding group is formed beforehand. These few tend to lead on RP while raiding and they made it so much fun and so much pleasant.

We used to RP while even grinding mobs for the quests. This took us some time, but we've never rushed toward the end, since we knew what's awaiting us there. Repeatable rep grind and materials farming to a mind-numbing level of insanity, merely to make more gear for the raiding party. RP was the savior of the time waste and finally made it worth all the trouble.

Rates were x1 mind you, so we used to outlevel the zones we were starting at. With Turtle WoW we now have a chance to actually experience vanilla as Blizz planned it to be, but softened all the things since people were that much of a crab-handers. They used to know no mechanics, no stats, calculation was a chinese art of calligraphyto all... Not even saying of those caps for defense and hit and so on.

What I was trying to post is a short story, ended up with some oldfag cries... sad_turtle
Anyway, RP in raid is as natural and easy if you can do it in a party with at least 2-3 people around. There's no complications. Just need to go with the flow.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.