What Level Do You Begin Roleplaying?

Jolikmc

What Level Do You Begin Roleplaying?

Post by Jolikmc » Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 am

This is a question mostly aimed at the more dedicated roleplayers out there, but anyone who roleplays is more-than-welcome to answer: generally speaking, at what in-game level do you start roleplaying your character?

This is something I've been thinking about for the last couple of days.  Turtle WoW is, on paper, a "roleplaying" server.  Much like retail WoW, your mileage may vary on whether or not people are going to roll with your playing (snrk snrk), but that should never stop you from trying.  However, is there a whole lot of point to roleplaying when you're the only person who's around to do so?  It's completely different if there's two-or-more of you, certainly, but when you're by yourself…?  What do you do, then?

Let's assume that you're not roleplaying with a group.  Let's assume you're just a random somebody who wants to immerse their World of Warcraft character a little further into the lore.  Do most people who roleplay begin their tale (so to speak) at Level 1?  Do they roleplay doing the menial tasks such as delivering mail around Coldridge Valley, or smacking sleepy peons with a blackjack?  Or… do they wait it out – say until they get to the first real town in their starter zone of choice, before they start committing to their given role?
I, myself, would generally just start roleplaying at Level 1 and see if I get any takers.  You know… just be the best "me" I can and see what comes of it.  However, I wouldn't go out of my way to seek interactions with players.  I know that the last thing some new Warrior trying to finish a kill quest needs is a hyperactive sidekick nagging them, asking what they're doing, and/or just generally being a nuisance.  So, yeah.  I wait.  I /say, I /emote, and I wait.  As I said before, I don't let the lack roleplayers stop me from roleplaying!  But what about the rest of you roleplayers?

At what level do you start roleplaying?
Level 1?  Level 60?  Somewhere in between?

I'm very curious!

Jambiya

Re: What Level Do You Begin Roleplaying?

Post by Jambiya » Wed May 18, 2022 11:40 am

Same as you I start at lv 1 and just do casual rp in the open world. Mostly it’s just my characters commenting when accepting/turning in quests so I don’t bloat local chat.

I like to think it gives a subtle sense of ambiance for other players running by, like seeing npc’s talking to one another in single player rpgs. It’s best when my toon has an angle or backstory that effects their dialog (like being a worshiper of Hakkar or a sand troll refugee).

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:56 pm

I generally don't roleplay while accepting quests and that sort of thing though I will role-play with folks when I'm at any level
Vorick Level 60 Warrior
Guildmaster of <Hand of Wrath>
And numerous other characters
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2269

Eloopis

Post by Eloopis » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:16 pm

Level is completely random; I tend to simply meld into RP as it comes to me (from events, or seeing players out in the open).

Raenidae

Post by Raenidae » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:48 pm

I made the decision to only begin roleplaying at max level if only because I want to have a transmog I'm confident in first, and because of how difficult it can be to accrue fashion coins, it's much more efficient to use them at max level rather than while you're still leveling and constantly replacing your gear.