Names with Special Characters

Kazgrim

Names with Special Characters

Post by Kazgrim » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:40 pm

It's possible to allow players to include special characters in their names. Perhaps players could unlock this through turtle shop as a reward? It'd be neat to have surnames or names with apostrophes.

Thoughts?
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Seelenschmied

Re: Names with Special Characters

Post by Seelenschmied » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:47 pm

I would like this a lot!

Pompa

Post by Pompa » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:21 am

Yes, this can be enabled. However, names with spaces would cause unexpected behaviors like being unable to whisp that player.

Lgk01

Post by Lgk01 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:41 am

Bump, can't you limit the type of special characters allowed as Retail/Classic does?

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:48 am

I can see why this was done to prevent character with lame copies of names. Legolás, Legoläs, Légolas, anyone?

I think doing it on a case by case basis would be fine. As it is, I'm happy it prevents lame variances of names. And we still see such variances and misspellings anyway.

Were it on a case by case basis, we might see some RP appropriate names such as trolls with apostrophes in their names. I'm all for that since npcs already do that and it's very in flavor of the game.

Fin

Post by Fin » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:53 am

Special characters in name won't be added.

It can cause too many issues. For example: it will break lot's of addons(and it won't break it just for you the user, it will also break it for other players that need your character's information.)
The terms of a deal you accepted are not a suggestion. Respect them: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2097