Diplomacy Quests Proposal Pt. 1

Ashiel

Diplomacy Quests Proposal Pt. 1

Post by Ashiel » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:08 am

I'm a big fan of the idea of cross-faction diplomacy, and I'd like to suggest an idea for expanding it.

Diplomatic Reputation Quests
Consider adding some neutral-NPCs who can accept various repeatable quests suited to various levels to raise your standing with a given faction, allowing a player to slowly work their way up from hostile with an opposing faction. Since the game determines NPC hostility based on faction reputation (with opposed factions starting at hostile with no way to improve it in the base game), raising your reputation sufficiently would allow you to actually interact with opposing faction NPCs amiably and not be attacked on sight, and eventually allowing sufficiently advanced diplomats the ability to safely rest and operate in towns and outposts controlled by the opposing factions.

For example, you might have NPCs such as an "Orc War Relief Emissary" that accepts donations of bandages in exchange for reputation with Ogrimmar, a "Medical Aid Emissary" that accepts donations of potions, and trade-themed NPCs with similar effects (such as NPCs that want things like belt buckles, sharpening stones, oils, grinding stones, gems, enchanting dusts, etc).

Cultural Exchange Quests
A series of quest for each faction that upon completion would award you with the language of that faction (such as learning to speak Orcish), likely requiring a sufficient reputation with the NPCs to start the quest chains.

Battle Forged Bonds
Make the diplomatic papers (or another item) grant small amounts of reputation for all opposed factions when defeating elite enemies (such as those found in dungeons) when partying with a member of the opposed faction, similar to the way the Argent Dawn trinket grants reputation with the Argent Dawn when slaying the undead in the Plaguelands. If it's going to each up your bag space it might as well be doing something.

"They told me Mankirk's Wife was in Elwynn Forest..."
Ideally, once reaching a sufficient reputation point, being able to accept and do quests, train, or purchase items from the newly esteemed faction would become available (similar to the goblin in Blackrock Depths who can teach players to smelt Eternium if you have a priest mind-control them so they are no longer hostile).

The reasoning for these proposal is as follows.
  • It gives "new" content to explore that's unique to the server and of a role-play variety.
  • It creates more opportunities for the community to interact with each other across zones.
  • It provides a nice sink for lots of crafted items that might not be particularly attractive in the player economy ("normal" quality crafted items especially) and reasons to make lots of them for the quests.
  • It potentially "doubles" the amount of content that you could do on a given character without actually adding a mountain of new content in, which would allow you to stay quite busy even at 0.5 rates and long after. It gives an interesting set of potential goals to collect outfits from both factions.
  • It's great for role-playing since you could have an orc who (upon proving themselves) finds themselves in Ironforge studying archaeology and gnomish tinkering, or a human trying to build ties with their undead family members in Lordaeron, etc.
  • It opens up the ability for friends to play the races or factions they want (some people just really want to play cute gnomes and others big fuzzy beefbros with equally big freaking axes) and run around questing and adventuring together for whatever roleplay reasons they decide (maybe the tauren nursed the poor gnome back to health after she was exhausted from turning a bandit camp into a smoldering crater).
It's been a while since I tinkered in the older WoW-server files, but I seem to recall most of this stuff being possible to do as far back as ArcEmu, so if you're willing to consider the possibility, I'd be willing to put in the legwork to compile further suggestions for NPCs, required items, and stuff like that for a part-II of the proposal.

Pigherder

Re: Diplomacy Quests Proposal Pt. 1

Post by Pigherder » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:13 pm

We have the start of an immersive Diplomacy system... this would be a natural extension of it. Wholeheartedly support this idea.

Cookies

Post by Cookies » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 pm

first of all : well thought out and well written

secondly : it sounds like fun

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:17 am

Support! +1
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Alexf22

Post by Alexf22 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 am

+1 I think this is an amazing idea 10/10

Musse

Post by Musse » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:09 am

While the idea of being able to interact with the other fraction, and rp more together with mates of the other fraction, I am very sceptical to being able to gain reputation for the other fraction. This would take away too much from the idea with two fractions in the first place.

Maybe something where you could interact with certain (specific) NPCs of the other fraction, but not a standing increase - which evetually would lead to you can interact with all "enemy" NPCs. So, skip the reputation gain part, and you have some interesting ideas! Let's not make WoW/Turtle be a multicultural mess like the real world.

Another thing related to this, could be cross fraction guilds. Then you could make guilds with certain agendas, like trade guilds, adventurers guilds, criminal guilds, etc. etc. Of course you would need to be diplomat to be able to speak (understand), trade, and group with guild mates of the other fraction.

Support with some scepticism. +0.5

Pompa

Post by Pompa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Musse wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:09 am
While the idea of being able to interact with the other fraction, and rp more together with mates of the other fraction, I am very sceptical to being able to gain reputation for the other fraction. This would take away too much from the idea with two fractions in the first place.

Maybe something where you could interact with certain (specific) NPCs of the other fraction, but not a standing increase - which evetually would lead to you can interact with all "enemy" NPCs. So, skip the reputation gain part, and you have some interesting ideas! Let's not make WoW/Turtle be a multicultural mess like the real world.

Another thing related to this, could be cross fraction guilds. Then you could make guilds with certain agendas, like trade guilds, adventurers guilds, criminal guilds, etc. etc. Of course you would need to be diplomat to be able to speak (understand), trade, and group with guild mates of the other fraction.

Support with some scepticism. +0.5
Just to clarify, cross faction guilds are already a thing!

Skullmiser

Post by Skullmiser » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:40 pm

I also wanted to learn another language. I suggested it in the sands of time thread. People discouraged me, because they weren't sure how it would work with diplomacy. You see being a diplomat makes it so you cannot speak any language that is not "Universal." I kind of thought it would be fun though, if my characters just knew Taurahe and Darnassian That's pretty much all the Cross-faction I want.

Musse

Post by Musse » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Skullmiser wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:40 pm
I also wanted to learn another language. I suggested it in the sands of time thread. People discouraged me, because they weren't sure how it would work with diplomacy. You see being a diplomat makes it so you cannot speak any language that is not "Universal." I kind of thought it would be fun though, if my characters just knew Taurahe and Darnassian That's pretty much all the Cross-faction I want.
Learning other languages would be great! Of course it would be possible to learn all other languages, including other fraction's.
The ultimate would be that players could only understand other languages, including the common one (so we could understand NPCs), but only speak in the one racial language.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Learning languages is definitely a nice roleplaying feature!

Maybe players would have to collect 'pages' that form into a book and then read several of them to gain proficiency!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

viewforum.php?f=29

Maxkelter

Post by Maxkelter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 pm
Learning languages is definitely a nice roleplaying feature!

Maybe players would have to collect 'pages' that form into a book and then read several of them to gain proficiency!
Everquest aloud you to learn other races languages just by having them talk to each other. Basically you would just stand around and spam different phrases and your skill in it would go up. I've noticed that it looked like blizzard had that in mind when making vanilla, but it must of been scrapped for PvP purposes.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Language

There are so many languages that players could learn! Imagine a roleplaying guild thats a coven of warlocks and they only communicate in demonic
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

viewforum.php?f=29

Skullmiser

Post by Skullmiser » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:48 pm

I want learning languages to be unreasonably difficult.

Kalocsa

Post by Kalocsa » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Language

There are so many languages that players could learn! Imagine a roleplaying guild thats a coven of warlocks and they only communicate in demonic
That sounds amazing.

Didn't you know undead could speak in common language during the beta vanilla? It's amazing to imagine some quests to get my gnomish learn at the perfect stage!
"Even the biggest mouth clam on a thread, can enclose a goldern pearl."

Seelenschmied

Post by Seelenschmied » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:05 pm

5/7

:P

+1

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:30 pm

+1

Deadcrow