Profession Bosses

Icedtea12

Profession Bosses

Post by Icedtea12 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 am

I thought of this as way for players to get consumables or gear up in more casual and fun way. It would be like daily or weekly quest where someone with max profs in a guild would be able to get a quest that spawns a boss in a random dungeon related to the profession.

So max level players would revisit a level 60 scaled Deadmines but all the mobs would be changed to match the profession, like dyrads and treants, the final boss would also be themed after the profession, for alchemy the final boss would be like a ancient protector. And the boss would drop like loads of alchemy ingredients and maybe even rare recipes.
If the boss is blacksmithing/mining related it would drop ores and a rare blacksmithing recipe.

Alternatively, the bosses could be World Bosses that spawn in a random low level zone, and guilds have to compete with each other for? Would make the world feel more alive when you are like level 15 and a shitload of level 60s start to pour in Westfall because a boss spawned there. Thoughts?

How it would ideally work:
  1. Person with max profession in guild gets the weekly quest from the profession trainer in their capital city
  • They group with 4 other people (these people could also be required to have the said profession maxed too)
  • When they enter the dungeon because of the person with the quest on the group, the dungeon would be specially instanced for them, scaled to max level and with different mobs
  • Upon completion, everyone in the group would be locked out of other profession bosses' instances
Some profs would be count as one such as.
  • Alchemy + Herbalism
  • Blacksmithing + Mining
  • Engineering
  • Enchanting
  • Leatherworking + Skinning
  • Tailoring
  • Cooking + Fishing

This way a guild would require atleast 35 different people, if they are to complete all their weekly prof quests.
Last edited by Icedtea12 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shamma

Re: Profession Bosses

Post by Shamma » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:57 am

It exists with fishing in ZG so far. The idea is not too far fetched. But NEEDS A LOT OF POLISH. Deadmines scaled?! Westfall?! NO. Optional bosses in existing raids - yes.

Icedtea12

Post by Icedtea12 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:17 pm

Shamma wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:57 am
It exists with fishing in ZG so far. The idea is not too far fetched. But NEEDS A LOT OF POLISH. Deadmines scaled?! Westfall?! NO. Optional bosses in existing raids - yes.
What's would you say is wrong with scaled dungeons? It would be like daily quest or weekly quest, and the dungeon mobs would only change if someone with the quest on his quest log would enter the instance, and once they clear it the first time, then the dungeon would reset back to normal. Same with world bosses spawn once day, once killed gone, so if your concern was people farming it then there's no worry.

I like the idea of world bosses because i think they can help make the world feel alive, also i think i came up with the idea of profession bosses as something to do between lockouts so putting them into raids wouldn't be ideal to me.

The one flaw i see as of this moment in my idea is how to limit how many people get the quest? I would say only one person with max proffs would be able to get the quest in a guild, or make it so everyone with the proff can get the quest but dramatically lower the loot?

Remmo87

Post by Remmo87 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:10 pm

+1
Morgruk - Orc Shaman
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You think you do, but perhaps maybe 100% you don't not do.
Or... some of you might actually perhaps most surely do actually anyway, still.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:29 pm

I think the issue with scaled low-level dungeons is the need to have new loot for them as well as whatever is there for the profession. Whereas some kind of invasion disrupts normal levelling players in a zone, which is also no good. On the other hand, if it's a dungeon/raid in the 50-60 range, or really out of the way places in the overworld, then there can simply be new bosses that require a particular profession to summon. Like some kind of mandrake boss that appears when a certain herb is picked (or that herb, taken elsewhere, can be used to lure/awaken something), a miner being able to break down a certain wall, an enchanter activate a magic circle, etc... Then you get a single optional boss, with loot that's tailored for that boss, rather than having to redo an entire area or make lowbie zones temporarily too dangerous for the people that are supposed to be there.

Icedtea12

Post by Icedtea12 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:06 pm

Kefke wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:29 pm
I think the issue with scaled low-level dungeons is the need to have new loot for them as well as whatever is there for the profession. Whereas some kind of invasion disrupts normal levelling players in a zone, which is also no good. On the other hand, if it's a dungeon/raid in the 50-60 range, or really out of the way places in the overworld, then there can simply be new bosses that require a particular profession to summon. Like some kind of mandrake boss that appears when a certain herb is picked (or that herb, taken elsewhere, can be used to lure/awaken something), a miner being able to break down a certain wall, an enchanter activate a magic circle, etc... Then you get a single optional boss, with loot that's tailored for that boss, rather than having to redo an entire area or make lowbie zones temporarily too dangerous for the people that are supposed to be there.
I don't know about other profs, but for alchemy when it comes to trash mobs, the DME trash mobs could be reused, it would be really just the bosses that have a unique loot table.
Also i don't think invasions on low level zones are always bad, i mean it's not even an PVP server, i think giving a reason for high level players to revisit lower level zones, could make the world feel more alive and dynamic. Like if an event is happening in Westfall and it annoys to see the zone packed just try to go to Loch Modan.
But the thing you said about a single optional boss in a high-level dungeon would definitely be easier to implement just a lot more boring in my opinion.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 pm

Also i don't think invasions on low level zones are always bad, i mean it's not even an PVP server, i think giving a reason for high level players to revisit lower level zones, could make the world feel more alive and dynamic. Like if an event is happening in Westfall and it annoys to see the zone packed just try to go to Loch Modan.
That makes sense from the perspective of a high-level player, but what about low level players? If, for example, Loch Modan is currently being assaulted by high-level golems as a part of someone's Mining progression, then that interferes with lowbies ability to complete and turn in quests. Imagine that you're just trying to level on a new character, and there's a pack of Lv. 55+ elites in the way. It might be exciting the first time you see it, but it's definitely going to be inconvenient every time it happens. Especially if you have a full quest log and have to abandon things to go somewhere else. Also, what about people on class quests, who have to be in a certain zone? What about groups trying to gear up off dungeons?

Icedtea12

Post by Icedtea12 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:56 pm

Kefke wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 pm
That makes sense from the perspective of a high-level player, but what about low level players? If, for example, Loch Modan is currently being assaulted by high-level golems as a part of someone's Mining progression, then that interferes with lowbies ability to complete and turn in quests. Imagine that you're just trying to level on a new character, and there's a pack of Lv. 55+ elites in the way. It might be exciting the first time you see it, but it's definitely going to be inconvenient every time it happens. Especially if you have a full quest log and have to abandon things to go somewhere else. Also, what about people on class quests, who have to be in a certain zone? What about groups trying to gear up off dungeons?
It would be world bosses, and that would be server wide, which means once killed there's no reason for high level players to stay on that zone unless they want to waste their time. And not talking about changing all the mobs in a zone, but more like a boss spawns in the corner of a zone.

Lurien

Post by Lurien » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Dailies?
Weeklies?
Profession quests?

Wotlk/retail is ----> that way
Please take a these wonderful ideas there