Ogres as a Horde Race (Who Joins the Alliance?)

Khalthul

Ogres as a Horde Race (Who Joins the Alliance?)

Post by Khalthul » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:35 am

There is a passionate post on the idea of including Ogres in the Horde here, and it's something that I've wondered as well, although not drafted in full for its reasons as this player has:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... race/67781

Obviously, you'd have to contextualize it with the lore and time taking place in Turtle WoW, but given that Ogre magis have been passing their craft to the orcs, I think it next best to include them in a later patch.

---

The only other concern that may prevent its addition is the lack of an Alliance race to give balance between the factions.

Personally, I like the idea of the Horde continuing its tradition of monstrous-looking allies, so Ogres fit in quite well. As for the Alliance, it's hard to conceive of a race that share some form of higher-fantasy structure/civilization accompanied with it. So I leave the suggestion to you...

There seem to be plenty of ideas here on the possibilities of what races may work or not work:
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Race_ideas

The Broken Ones (followed by Furbolgs and Worgen) seem to me as the most ideal race to include out of them all... if not for the trouble of having a Shaman class on the Alliance side (unless their ties to the elements were cut off, per se), and, in the case of Worgen, the developmental challenge of bringing that race and its lore to life.

Kazgrim

Re: Ogres as a Horde Race (Who Joins the Alliance?)

Post by Kazgrim » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:23 am

Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:27 am

Naga for Alliance would be a kicker. Couldn't use mounts but perhaps a racial ability unlocked at 40 and 60.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Zergest

Post by Zergest » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:27 pm

Draenei for Alliance, but without shamans. Actually there would be much cooler to add Death Knights exclusively for the orcs and Demon Hunters exclusively for Nelfs, than make another race. Because turtle devs cant even finnish goblins and HElves voices, etc.

Pauloricardo

Post by Pauloricardo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:37 pm

Khalthul wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:35 am
There is a passionate post on the idea of including Ogres in the Horde here, and it's something that I've wondered as well, although not drafted in full for its reasons as this player has:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... race/67781

Obviously, you'd have to contextualize it with the lore and time taking place in Turtle WoW, but given that Ogre magis have been passing their craft to the orcs, I think it next best to include them in a later patch.

---

The only other concern that may prevent its addition is the lack of an Alliance race to give balance between the factions.

Personally, I like the idea of the Horde continuing its tradition of monstrous-looking allies, so Ogres fit in quite well. As for the Alliance, it's hard to conceive of a race that share some form of higher-fantasy structure/civilization accompanied with it. So I leave the suggestion to you...

There seem to be plenty of ideas here on the possibilities of what races may work or not work:
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Race_ideas

The Broken Ones (followed by Furbolgs and Worgen) seem to me as the most ideal race to include out of them all... if not for the trouble of having a Shaman class on the Alliance side (unless their ties to the elements were cut off, per se), and, in the case of Worgen, the developmental challenge of bringing that race and its lore to life.
In that case I think the Furbolgs should be the next race....
Last edited by Pauloricardo on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zergest

Post by Zergest » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:49 pm

Guys, there are no proper armor models for races like Furbolgs, Nagas, Ogres, etc. I doubt that turtle devs would make such a big work, that even blizz. devs didnt do. The most realistic what we can get are Draenei, Worgens, Pandas, etc.

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:54 am

Horde — Ogre

Alliance — Vrykul from WotLK or Broken from W3 (both could be Shamans)

(& Undead Paladins)
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Zeldy

Post by Zeldy » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 am

I like idea of adding the Broken, just from a technical standpoint there isn't a female Broken model so they'd have to either make one from scratch, use the default Draenei model, or make a custom skin which to be fair they've done for other races too so that option is actually reasonably feasible. smiling_turtle_head

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:19 pm

If Alliance do get Draenei, I'd prefer if the Draenei model used would look something like this, but as a cross between "broken" Draenei and TBC Draenei.

Also Draenei would have to have completely rewritten lore and a completely rewritten origin story, since TBC Draenei are a giant retcon. I'm not sure how pre-TBC Draenei would be incorporated into the Alliance considering they're a dark, rogue-ish Shamanistic race and have no connection to the Light to speak of, which would upset the class balance if the Alliance get a Shaman class while the Horde doesn't get a Paladin class (and I'm heavily against giving Alli shamans or Horde pallies in the first place). Draenei for Horde is a no-go considering the Orcs literally slaughtered their people to near extinction.

I'm just not sure how Turtle could add Draenei to Alliance while making them interesting to play. Draenei Shamans are a no-go because that would mean giving Alliance playable Shamans. Draenei Paladins are probably a no-go considering that's a TBC retcon and there's nothing pre-TBC suggesting they're connected to the Light in any way.

Realistically speaking, these classes would make the most sense taking into consideration gameplay balance and lore.
Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Mage, Warlock. MAYBE Priest, as there's already playable priest combinations in the game that canonically draw from different sources instead of the Light. Shamans just seem like an essential part of the Draenei that it would feel awkward to leave it out.

Turtle COULD go through the massive undertaking of making a brand new class for Ogres and Draenei to entice people to play them, but that would be a balancing nightmare, not to mention the massive changes to gear and loot distribution across the open world and in dungeons to pander to a new class.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:02 pm

ogres for horde eh? makes sense.

For an alliance counterpart? hmmm either furbolgs or tortollan.
i would be ok if those 2 races get no armor models for the time being, and either leave it at is or giving them models gradually.

As for female ogres, i would say using a upscaled female orc head with a slightly skinnier ogre body. Or just use the 2 head model.

Another idea for alliance race would be kul tiran models
Last edited by Reploidrocsa on Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kobiq

Post by Kobiq » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:21 pm

I think to keep the Azeroth-centerred original classic experience, alliance could be extended for another human kindgom, like Stormgrade, Dalaran or Theramore.

Pauloricardo

Post by Pauloricardo » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:21 am

Kobiq wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:21 pm
I think to keep the Azeroth-centerred original classic experience, alliance could be extended for another human kindgom, like Stormgrade, Dalaran or Theramore.
It will be easier with Gilneas,but could they be Worgens in WOW Vanilla?Maybe
Stromgarde could be a option, the problem is racial traits....must be the same as Stormwind?

Lexiebean

Post by Lexiebean » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:56 am

There are no female models for these races. So that's an instant no from me

Lexiebean

Post by Lexiebean » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:58 am

There are no female models for these races. So that's an instant no from me

Markuis

Post by Markuis » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:31 am

Nerubians would be a cool addition. But I don't think there are any models for them yet.

About races joining Alliance... Another human kingdom could do, but why should they have a different racial? It's a racial, after all. I'd say whatever joins them should be more tied to the non human races, mostly to NE, or be a convenience union. For example, put the NE/HE under direct threat from some faction and suddenly the naga offer their help in exchange for temporal peace/some other benefit. Just like undead-horde do.

We can see the Horde teaming with most factions because A) they are more used to get allies in times of need and B) they simply won't say "Ugh, disgusting beast". In other words, Alliance has a problem of teaming with other factions.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:17 pm

Cenarion's children (dryads and Keepers of the groove) are ancient allies of night elves. If kaldorei are with the Alliance now, why shouldn't dryads do the same?
Both male and female models.
Customization from night elves.
No mounts, only your 4 legs.
Think about it.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:32 pm

Galendor wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:17 pm
Cenarion's children (dryads and Keepers of the groove) are ancient allies of night elves. If kaldorei are with the Alliance now, why shouldn't dryads do the same?
Both male and female models.
Customization from night elves.
No mounts, only your 4 legs.
Think about it.
I thought about it and yes please.

Pauloricardo

Post by Pauloricardo » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:09 pm

So, our options are(my opinion):

Horde: 1ºOgre(until now the best choice);2ºBlood Elves(it will be very redundant now, maybe later);
3ºNaga(I don't see Naga being an alliance race due to their hate by the Night Elves and about some items like boots, they could use some bands like that anime character Saphentite but the real problem is: What kind of mount they will use? Some kind of Flying fish or crab?).

Alliance: 1ºFurbolg(if we have the ogres in the horde, i think the furbolgs will be the best race enter in the alliance{at least in this moment}. The problems to implement them are the same the ogres will have);2° Worgens(my question is: due to lore, they could be implemented now{Vanilla} or only in Cataclysm or maybe in WotLK?)3°Draenei/Broken(I don't know much about they but as far as I know the first Draenei or even Broken Shaman was Nobundo right? He came to Azeroth along with Velen so it cant be the Broken in Swanp of Sorrows...we will have the same Draenei in Azuremist Isle{for me it's ok}).

There are other races mentioned here:
Nerubians: I don't remember: they use weapons? Yet, if it's difficult fix certain things in Ogres or Furbolgs, imagine Nerubians{Yet it will be fun}
Children of Cenarius: I think it's easier and makes more sense the centaurs...the only problem will be the flying mounts...
Vrykul: Maybe...
But thats only my opinion....If you think I miss something please tell me and thank you.
Last edited by Pauloricardo on Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:40 pm

I think either blood elves or gilneas humans. I don’t even think that they should turn into worgen. Maybe make ‘em hairier.

I think just having some different races with different racials and starting zones is fun

Garish

Post by Garish » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:03 pm

I don't think there should be more races in the game, the new ones are still far from being fully completed.
if it were to put some new content I would find better unique talents for classes based on their race like fan of knives for NE rogues among other WC 3 skills that could be placed in the game to make the classes better fulfill their rpg fantasy along with the chosen race.