Oscilation Inhibited Disk Needs to Change

Arraris

Oscilation Inhibited Disk Needs to Change

Post by Arraris » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:27 pm

I know this is just one small new quest, but having done it now I am in the firm belief that the reward from this quest chain needs to be changed or buffed. Quite simply, in it's current state this quest isn't worth doing at all, which I think is a shame.

At this time, the items required for the quest [Tilting Oscilation Inhibitor?!] cost far too much for the reward. Fused wiring is a Gnomeregan drop, aside from a few other rare lvl 37+ mobs in STV, and currently goes for about 1 gold. 6 Strong Flux cost 1 gold 20 silver before reputation discounts. Ignoring the other profession items, this means that you need to do pay over 3 gold to make this shield, or pay at least 1 gold and do Gnomeregan.

Now I want to state that I do not think these item requirements should change. Instead I suggest two things that will make this a more interesting and rewarding quest for those who can find it in the middle of nowhere in the Wetlands.

First, this quest should become a Gnomeregan dungeon quest and should have it's and XP reward bumped accordingly (maybe 3575 XP as a suggestion). This dungeon association sets up the proper expectations about the difficulty/gold sink required for the quest, and will let newer players better understand where Fused Wiring comes from. It will also hopefully drive a few more players to Gnomeregan, which is always a good thing.

Second, the final reward itself should be buffed or moved to a different slot. Even for a lvl 24 shield, the Oscilation Inhibited Disk is not great. It's stats are fairly lackluster for the difficulty to acquire, and it is worse than the shield you can get out of Gnomeregan (Thermaplugg's Central Core).

For this second point, the easy fix would simply be to buff the Oscilation Inhibited Disk to a similar stat lvl (say, 765 armor, 18 block, 6 stam, 5 agi, 5 nature resist. But, I think alternatively, a more interesting and worthwhile option is to turn Oscilation Inhibited Disk into a trinket. It would obviously need to be weak, but perhaps something like: 2 stam, 2 agi, 10% chance to inflict 5-7 Nature damage when struck by a melee attack.

This allows the quest reward to stay tank-oriented, but offer a much more interesting and worthwhile reward for the difficulty to find the initial quest giver, dungeon association, and gold/crafting required to actually finish the chain.

I know this should require the Horde side to get a similar equivalent trinket, which I also think would be great! low level trinkets are really neat and feel amazing to acquire for the player. I love the ones currently added to Turtle Wow turtle_in_love and think even more options and variety would be really cool.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Looking forward to people's thoughts!

Alander

Re: Oscilation Inhibited Disk Needs to Change

Post by Alander » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:34 pm

I agree, a level 24 quest that requires mob drops from zones with mobs that are 30+ and 40+ and require a group at those levels.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:15 pm

Arraris wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:27 pm
I do not think you understand where Fused Wiring comes from.
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=7191

These are farmed by making and dropping target dummies and looting them. Not off mobs. It is very easy for a lvl 20 engineer to produce a fused wiring, by sitting around SW and dropping a stack of target dummies one after the other.

The reward is not great and probably not worth the effort. That I agree with, but you are wrong on the rest. It is a quest that requires you to trade with players for the wiring. That is the idea. Not go farm Gnomer for it.

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:54 pm

I think the oscilation inhibited disk being similar to https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=81319 would be fine. And equal between Horde and Alliance.
As it is, the shield is most certainly not the marvel of engineering it claims to be https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=81411 and is a mediocre shield. Considering the effort for getting it and it supposedly being a marvel, it could stand to be improved.

Tekamthi

Post by Tekamthi » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:06 am

+1 on the idea of changing this reward to a trinket -- either that or make it a choice that includes other slot versions of some kind, like maybe some offhand item or even a rare pet I'm guilty of clicking through the quest descriptions too quickly but I just did this on my warlock, very disappointing!

If nothing else the reward type should be clearly indicated somehow -- the way this quest is presented in game, the reward is left as somewhat of a mystery until all the mats and everything is submitted and irreversible. Quest giver takes your mats, does some work on them and instructs you to wait... Then after he's done you finally see you're getting a shield, and you can either take it or leave it. Possible I didn't read something that explained it was a shield, but it does not have the usual quest reward preview in any case

Serillion

Post by Serillion » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:03 pm

I also find this quest a bit unrewarding, and the item a bit lacking. Making it a trinket would remove any doubt, as there are too few trinkets.