Profession Immersion Overhaul

Zeyla

Profession Immersion Overhaul

Post by Zeyla » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:40 am

I've had quite a number of ideas regarding how the professions could be more immersive in terms of affecting your characters' playstyles, as well as being faithful to the fantasy of those skills. Here are a few of my suggestions... Please do with them as you see fit! smiling_turtle_head (Obviously if my naming method is terrible, feel free to rename it)

Alchemy -
Slurry Potion (lesser/greater/superior/major) - A conjured item that alchemists can learn the recipe for at alchemy levels 75/150/225/300. It would take no materials (or possibly just a level appropriate vial) but it's a unique & BoP conjured item that has about 50% of the effect of an appropriate level healthstone and mana gem, sharing cooldowns with both (since both share cooldowns with each other as it is). This would offer a consistently useful benfit & immersion of always having a useful "potion" on hand in combat as an alchemist without completely replacing other existing mechanics. The flavor text would read something along the lines of "Contains an amalgamation of various leftover herbs from previous alchemy projects. Drink at your own risk."

Blacksmithing -
1. Master Skeleton Key - Permanent but more expensive BoP version of the existing skeleton keys that is re-usable, opening the same level as the best arcanite key and strongest seaforium charges, if not higher. Make sure it can go into the Keyring as well.
2. Forge Hammer - Crafted using a blacksmith hammer as an ingredient, as well as other various materials based on the level, in the case that it can be made at white/green/blue/purple levels from 75/150/225/300 skill. Essentially a ranged/relic slot item that gives stamina & spirit, with an on-use effect to throw the hammer at your current target (30 yard range), dealing a small amount of damage (let's say 50/100/150/200 for each tier) with a 1 second cast and 3 second cooldown. The cast time should keep it from becoming part of a standard rotation for dps and makes it simply a utility for ranged pulling, especially for paladins. It also would provide a ammo-less ranged damage method for rogues and warriors that absolutely hate carrying arrows and bullets with them... espcially if you throw 1% hit on the blue/purple version, which essentially makes it a viable alternative to certain items. Also counts as a smithing hammer.

Enchanting -
1. Equippable Rods - Being able to equip the enchanting rod, and assigning them dps values consistent with level appropriate wands. I would not classify them as actual wands and make enchanting grant wand skill, as that would create unnecessary drama over warriors or paladins taking wand drops away from casters, but if a new weapon class of "Rod" could be made with it's accuracy being based on your enchanting level, similarly to how fishing rods attack based on your fishing level, with an auto-shoot function that matches wands... then it would be super immersive for characters that RP dabbling with magic as a non-magical class, while providing a ranged alternative for certain classes. You could then add a number of actual enchants that can only be applied to rods to provide the stats for the rod you have equipped which would normally be present on wands/bows in that slot, such as +15 stam & 1% hit, +20 damage and healing, +30 healing, +8 str/agi & 1% hit, etc.
If all of that is far too complicated, then you could simply create duplicate Rod recipes and make the appropriate Rod that has the correct stats on it for you, and instead of giving them a weapon class like wands, just give them on use effects like shooting a certain low rank spell (low rank fireball/frostbolt/shadowbolt/holybolt[holy wrath animation]) with a short cooldown, similarly to how the blacksmithing forge hammer suggestion works.
2. Scroll Crafting - Basically a crafting source for the buff scrolls that exist in the game. Simple.

Engineering -
1. Make the field repair bot more expensive but re-usable, since it's currently useless compared to the repair bot pets that many people have, which also sell reagents that the standard repair bot does not stock.
2. EZ-thro bombs - The mini-stun-bombs for non-engineers that so many people have been begging for. Make them similar in effect to bronze bombs instead of grenades, meaning they can't be thrown while moving and the damage is super low, but the stun is present. Also make the cooldown fairly lengthy so that they aren't constantly spammed in battlegrounds. (Maybe 10-15 minutes?) If it's too powerful, possibly give a 5% chance of the bomb exploding in your hand, stunning yourself when thrown.

Herbalism -
1. Lifeblood - Ability from WotLK Herbalism. I know it's not super original, but it was well-themed and functioned nicely.
2. Herb Gardening - This should be self-explanatory. I leave it up to your imagination.

Leatherworking -
1. Armor Polish - Conjured temoporary Imbue BoP item for chest-slot, adding a 5% armor buff to the character for 1h hour. Only usable on your own items and can't be used through trade window.
2. Riding Crops & Saddles - Various mount speed items. One type could be tradeable, while the other could be only for the leatherworker, with an increased effect (but obviously requiring leatherworking to equip).
3. REAL cloaks - I know this model doesn't exist in the game so my suggestion is probably impossible, but I've always wanted to see my characters wearing actual cloaks... meaning ones that wrap around the sides of your character, with a hood on the back, although not even Medivh's model wore one in TBC while he did in WC3. I only mention this because I know some of the custom items are ripped from creature models (like the dark reaver helm) so I leave this suggestion here as a 1 in a billion long-shot for turtle wow putting amazing looking cloaks into the game one day, if they find a way to use an existing creature model to pull this off.

Mining -
1. Toughness - The stamina buff from WotLK was appropriately themed and worked well for mining, just as lifeblood did for herbalism. The actual numbers should change. If a passive is not desirable for this, then perhaps a "Stone Throw" ability to... literally... throw a rock at someone for a small amount of damage, just as another variation to the previously mentioned ranged abilities for other professions, since miners should always have extra rocks on-hand.
2. Mountain Master's Pick - Created through the Smelting window at 250 mining using a pickaxe and various types of metal bars and raw stones. Reduces the cast time of mining by 50% and has an on-use effect to throw the rope-attached-pick at a spot on the ground within 15 yards, pulling your character to that location, with a 15 minute cooldown, 5 second cast and not useable in combat or indoors. This would be super cool and well-themed for reaching those out-of-the-way mining nodes, but of course it could potentially present a problem if players end up in areas that you don't want them to reach... but that's all part of the fun.

Skinning -
1. Anatomical Knowledge - Basically just a passive that gives 10% damage or perhaps extra crit chance versus beasts. I know that passives aren't particularly interesting, but this simply makes sense for the theme. It also leads into:
2. Nerve Strike - Throw a spare skinning knife at the target's vital point, causing a small amount of damage (10 maybe) but causing them to flinch, stunning them for 2 seconds and interrupting spell casts for 2 seconds. 0.5 second cast, 20 yard range, 2 minute cooldown

Tailoring -
1. Rope Nets - Crafted from various types of cloth, lasting a slightly longer duration as the type of material improves. Roots a target within 30 yards for up to 8 seconds (runecloth) with a chance to break early. Very similar to the murloc nets, sharing a cooldown with them.
2. High Quality Runecloth Bandage - Restores 50% more health than a heavy runecloth bandage, but is BoP and requires 300 First Aid to use. Made using 3 runecloth and 1 bleach.

First Aid -
1. Cauterizing Poultice - Removes 1 bleed effect from the target. Crafted using 5 wool cloth and 1 cooked rockscale cod. 2 minute cooldown.
2. Disinfection Poultice - Removes 1 poison and 1 disease effect from the target. Crafted using 5 silk cloth and 1 cooked glossy mightfish. 2 minute cooldown.
3. Ley-dispersing Poultice - Removes 1 curse and 1 magic effect from the target. Crafted using 5 mageweave cloth and 1 cooked Sagefish Delight. 2 minute cooldown.

Cooking -
1. Well Fed food that gives +50 fishing skill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Ability to brew drinks as an alternative to level 55 conjured water at cooking level 300, using morning glory dew and soothing spices to convert 5 morning glory dew and 1 soothing spice into 5 Soothing Glory Dew. Same restore amount as conjured crystal water but is not a conjured item.

Fishing -
1. Ability to rarely fish up a blue quality fishing pole from high level pools that grants underwater breathing, just as the hydrocane does (though not all classes can equip hydrocane!)
2. More debris pools strewn about the world, because they're fun!

If you actually reached the end, you have an incredible amount of patience. Thanks once again to the Turtle WoW team for making an amazing server and doing such a great job!

Thol

Re: Profession Immersion Overhaul

Post by Thol » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:07 pm

Cool ideas!

I liked the small profession bonuses in retail, mixology, lifeblood, master of anatomy,...
Items that require a profession are cool as well: alchemist stone, mithril insignia,...

Breidr

Post by Breidr » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:14 am

I would love for gathering professions to grant small buffs like WotLK (doesn't have to be identical).

They really start to feel like a "waste" sometimes. I do realize it's kind of min/maxy, but still.
Brandal Millbridge - Hedge Wizard

Aquaria

Post by Aquaria » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:03 am

turtle_in_love I like!
------------------------------------------
A mind to think, a thought to ponder.
When thinking’s thought a mind should wander.

The yester is here.

Zeyla

Post by Zeyla » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:26 am

Thanks guys.

And yeah, I like the profession items as well, but there are a few that could use a bit of polish. The Hammer of Expertise from blacksmithing in particular comes to mind, since It's useless at 60 and even when it's strong for the appropriate level, iirc it's only conjured for like an hour? meaning enchanting it is pointless and also annoying to have to re-conjure it.

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:02 am

I'm against the min/maxing that WotLK brought. It leads to more restrictive play, particularly at high levels, rather than opening up different paths to develop.

Zeyla

Post by Zeyla » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:50 am

Gladeshadow wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:02 am
I'm against the min/maxing that WotLK brought. It leads to more restrictive play, particularly at high levels, rather than opening up different paths to develop.
While I liked having the varied perks for each profession that gave them some immersive feeling, I tend to agree with you about the min/max aspect of profession choice. That's why I tried to avoid anything that would directly increase your dps in a raid by learning a specific profession among my suggestions, and instead focused on things more related to survivability and utility... the things that are usually neglected in favor of boosting a dps chart by even a single extra point.