I wish the old turtle community could get its own proper RP-server

Friendz001

Re: I wish the old turtle community could get its own proper RP-server

Post by Friendz001 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:59 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:53 pm
While I may not be a member of the staff, my work on the HD mod pack has put me into direct communication with members of staff. It is not strictly necessary to be involved in every single step of their workflow to get a feel for a team of people's constraints, attitudes, pressures, and resources. Even just paying attention to the announcements and banter they made/make on Discord gives anyone with an inkling of awareness exactly the situation they're in.

You don't need to be an expert in the field to have your finger on the pulse of a business or organization. You only need a glimpse behind the curtain over a period of time to develop an understanding. As someone who works closely with development teams in the professional space, I have a fairly good feel for where a group is at. I didn't come here to flaunt that, however, I came here to attempt to explain to you the basic concept of business expansion and when it is and is not appropriate.

What I'm sensing from your reply, however, is a demand for an argument, which you will not get from me. You are welcome, however, to continue banging your drum demanding another server in flagrant disregard of my insight, which would elevate you from simply ignorant and in need of a helpful explanation to obnoxious forum-poster who gets ignored by staff. Best of luck whichever path you decide to take.
Yea im banging my drum, ok. Dude listen if youre just here to be arrogant just leave me alone ok,
I cant handle that now. I only care for what Torta has to say. You can keep your little "courtain-glimpse"-expertise
and your arrogant insults for yourself. You dont know how much money or ressources are available.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:02 pm

No one insulted you, and Torta has enough on her plate without dropping everything she's doing to address someone whining on the forums, which is now exactly what you're doing. You are not entitled to Torta's attention, yet you demand answers from no one less than the person in charge. You wish to dismiss our insight and knowledge, but you don't even know a single thing about the person running the server. If you want your demand shot down promptly and politely, go to the Discord that Tinyfin and Torta suggested and do it in person.

Friendz001

Post by Friendz001 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:07 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:02 pm
No one insulted you, and Torta has enough on her plate without dropping everything she's doing to address someone whining on the forums, which is now exactly what you're doing. You are not entitled to Torta's attention, yet you demand answers from no one less than the person in charge. You wish to dismiss our insight and knowledge, but you don't even know a single thing about the person running the server. If you want your demand shot down promptly and politely, go to the Discord that Tinyfin and Torta suggested and do it in person.
You do. And nobody said I demand. I said I only care for what Torta has to say. Thats all. If I have to wait for an
answer, then so be it. But I dont care at all for aanything you have to say, whatsoever, and this is now my last reponse.
So please, I beg of you, get out of here and laeve me alone. I cant stand arrogant people like you. angry_turtle_hea
And if Torta doesnt want to answer then so be it.

Torta

Post by Torta » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 pm

Friendz001 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:20 pm
Are you strictly against a new realm and if so, why? Or is there any way you can be convinced to at least try out
a strict RP realm? Idc if there are only 100 people.We had nothing but 100-200 people for so many yrs.
We are absolutely not ready to maintain two realms at once with the quality of support and development we expect ourselves to perform, I'm sorry. Our team size isn't comparable to Activision's :)

Friendz001

Post by Friendz001 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 pm

Torta wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 pm
Friendz001 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:20 pm
Are you strictly against a new realm and if so, why? Or is there any way you can be convinced to at least try out
a strict RP realm? Idc if there are only 100 people.We had nothing but 100-200 people for so many yrs.
We are absolutely not ready to maintain two realms once with the quality of support and development we expect ourselves to perform, I'm sorry. Our team size isn't comparable to Activision's :)
Ok thank you for the answer. neutral_turtle

Pantheon

Post by Pantheon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:23 pm

Forgive my ignorance on this topic. I have a small, limited amount of RP experience on WoW.

Wouldn't downloading an RP addon communicate with everyone else with an RP addon? When I had it downloaded on Retail, I was able to see all other RP participants by mousing over them, and had no issue with interactions or walk ups.

I think there are 2 or 3 RP addons working with Turtle WoW. ImmersionRP and MyRP being the 2 most popular, and I believe they both communicate with the same public channel so it's a matter of functionality and UI preference?

RP Addons also allow you to create a Prefix and Suffix name visible to people with RP Addons, making the un-immersive names less exasperated.

Friendz001

Post by Friendz001 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 pm

Pantheon wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:23 pm
Forgive my ignorance on this topic. I have a small, limited amount of RP experience on WoW.

Wouldn't downloading an RP addon communicate with everyone else with an RP addon? When I had it downloaded on Retail, I was able to see all other RP participants by mousing over them, and had no issue with interactions or walk ups.

I think there are 2 or 3 RP addons working with Turtle WoW. ImmersionRP and MyRP being the 2 most popular, and I believe they both communicate with the same public channel so it's a matter of functionality and UI preference?

RP Addons also allow you to create a Prefix and Suffix name visible to people with RP Addons, making the un-immersive names less exasperated.
You are right about that, I also use MyRoleplay. Its not that I cant find other RPers.
I was just dreaming of playing on a quite and low-pop turtle server again, where every person matters,
wich is always the case for small communities.

I think my english just isnt good enough to properly articulate
what I try to say or what my wish was...

But since Torta said its not possible, well... Gonna have to live with it.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Well not really. There are barren vanilla private servers out there. If RP is what you want, then the custom content and current popularity of turtle might be the wrong place. You can get those 100 friends of your who think like you and would follow you to the new turtle realm to a different realm for a test drive...

Pantheon

Post by Pantheon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 pm

Friendz001 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 pm
Pantheon wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:23 pm

You are right about that, I also use MyRoleplay. Its not that I cant find other RPers.
I was just dreaming of playing on a quite and low-pop turtle server again, where every person matters,
wich is always the case for small communities.

I think my english just isnt good enough to properly articulate
what I try to say or what my wish was...

But since Torta said its not possible, well... Gonna have to live with it.
I think I understand your grievance. You are now missing the times when the server was small. Everyone was known and close. Player reputation and player infamy were more front and center. Now that the server grew, the TWoW you fell in love with now feels trampled and the community feels diluted.

May I suggest to you not to give up on this new TWoW. What you love is still there. Maybe not in the shape or form it was back when it was 100 - 200 people, but it exists.

Don't give up on the huge population explosion. You and your character still exist and matter in the TWoW community. Not everyone new to this server is from the PvP community that has you worried. I'm new, and once I gain a few more levels I fully intend on creating an RP story for my character, and taking part in the RP community.

Don't give up on the future of TWoW's RP, there's just a lot more people here now to hear your characters story.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:45 pm

Shamma wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:36 pm
Pantheon wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 pm
The OP is looking for an environment that does not exist, and certainly not on Turtle WoW. It is not a matter of whether there is enjoyable RP to be had, or that the game is itself enjoyable, since we can agree it is. It is that he wants a very specific environment that is not currently available and cannot be easily provided.

I think this thread has run its course, and while everyone's input has been helpful, supportive, and informative, the intended recipient is not looking to receive it.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:50 pm

Lots of us (I assume) are here because we miss an environment that existed and we lost. I would argue the server was created for that very reason. So losing an environment one likes is relatable. Feeling homesick when your home is in a way "destroyed" or at the very least changed can be disheartening.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:54 pm

Relatable, yes, but the flow of time is immutable and change is inevitable. We all find ways to cope with change, to try to enjoy what life has to offer in spite of things being different. You can never go home, they say. That does not mean that the new state of things is inherently bad or unsalvageable, however.

The key is not to become destructive with that coping mechanism, such as lashing out at those trying to help.

Friendz001

Post by Friendz001 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:56 pm

Shamma wrote:
Well not really. There are barren vanilla private servers out there. If RP is what you want, then the custom content and current popularity of turtle might be the wrong place. You can get those 100 friends of your who think like you and would follow you to the new turtle realm to a different realm for a test drive...
Ok I didnt even have that information. I used to check for vanilla servers on dkp-minus, and TurtleWoW
was the only RP 1.12.1 server ive found back in the days, but thats years ago.
And no I dont have 100 friends here lol... I said that I have no problem when there is just 100-300 people on the server,
because thats how it used to be here for a long time, what Mac said :
This server went from a small, friendly, close-knit community to a big server full of thousands of unfriendly, hateful players who want nothing more to ruin the game for everyone else.
And its really true. I cant tell you how many plyaers ive met now on TWoW, that only try to make others mad.
Ofc thats normal on other servers, but it wasnt normal on Twow.
Now it kinda is, I guess.
Shamma wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:50 pm
Lots of us (I assume) are here because we miss an environment that existed and we lost. I would argue the server was created for that very reason. So losing an environment one likes is relatable. Feeling homesick when your home is in a way "destroyed" or at the very least changed can be disheartening.
Yes. Exactly. And I thought if we could get our own little realm it could be like this again.
But if its not possible its not possible.
Pantheon wrote:
I think I understand your grievance. You are now missing the times when the server was small. Everyone was known and close. Player reputation and player infamy were more front and center. Now that the server grew, the TWoW you fell in love with now feels trampled and the community feels diluted.

May I suggest to you not to give up on this new TWoW. What you love is still there. Maybe not in the shape or form it was back when it was 100 - 200 people, but it exists.

Don't give up on the huge population explosion. You and your character still exist and matter in the TWoW community. Not everyone new to this server is from the PvP community that has you worried. I'm new, and once I gain a few more levels I fully intend on creating an RP story for my character, and taking part in the RP community.

Don't give up on the future of TWoW's RP, there's just a lot more people here now to hear your characters story.
Yes. You worded that much better then I ever could.
To me TWoW means alot and little changes have a big impact on me.
And we had HUGE changes in super-short time.

Thats alot for a fragile person like me.

Pantheon

Post by Pantheon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:13 am

Friendz001 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:56 pm
Shamma wrote:
Ok I didnt even have that information. I used to check for vanilla servers on dkp-minus, and TurtleWoW
was the only RP 1.12.1 server ive found back in the days, but thats years ago.
And no I dont have 100 friends here lol... I said that I have no problem when there is just 100-300 people on the server,
because thats how it used to be here for a long time, what Mac said :
This server went from a small, friendly, close-knit community to a big server full of thousands of unfriendly, hateful players who want nothing more to ruin the game for everyone else.
And its really true. I cant tell you how many plyaers ive met now on TWoW, that only try to make others mad.
Ofc thats normal on other servers, but it wasnt normal on Twow.
Now it kinda is, I guess.
Shamma wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:50 pm
Yes. Exactly. And I thought if we could get our own little realm it could be like this again.
But if its not possible its not possible.
Pantheon wrote:

Yes. You worded that much better then I ever could.
To me TWoW means alot and little changes have a big impact on me.
And we had HUGE changes in super-short time.

Thats alot for a fragile person like me.
If it's any consolation, I remember the times I did partake in RP on retail, with "FULL" servers, there is always an RP Community Hub. For me, as Horde, it was in Valley of Trials(?) just outside the Drag where Thrall resides on TWoW. There was a little Inn there the community congregated in.

In that area, I felt a close knit community feel. Everyone there mattered, familiar faces every day, the world outside ours didn't exist unless we wanted it to. My point is, outside of the RP events, which I'm sure at this point arent your concern, is you're not the only one who feels this way, and the community can exist in it's own bubble. Just a matter of either finding where they congregate, or setting a spot for them to.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:18 am

Is the whole guild housing thing not there for this reason - have a common ground to visit and hangout? I stumbled by accident on a guild house in duskwood - between the road and the shack of the embalmer. There were 4-5 ppl from the same guild there sitting by a fire and RPing. This was about a week ago. It was a nice sight. I was happy to find such a thing.

I guess it is more of a consolation prize thought. Definitely would feel different if the whole Stormwind City would play by the RP rules...
Last edited by Shamma on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friendz001

Post by Friendz001 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:19 am

Pantheon wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:13 am
If it's any consolation, I remember the times I did partake in RP on retail, with "FULL" servers, there is always an RP Community Hub. For me, as Horde, it was in Valley of Trials(?) just outside the Drag where Thrall resides on TWoW. There was a little Inn there the community congregated in.

In that area, I felt a close knit community feel. Everyone there mattered, familiar faces every day, the world outside ours didn't exist unless we wanted it to. My point is, outside of the RP events, which I'm sure at this point arent your concern, is you're not the only one who feels this way, and the community can exist in it's own bubble. Just a matter of either finding where they congregate, or setting a spot for them to.
You have a really nice way of talking to people.
You are probably right, I just need to look better and work a bit more on finding the right
people instead of complaining. And if we keep reporting toxic behaviour, we can keep it under controll.

Yet I still hope and wish we can get a small pop realm again, I really do, because that bubble youre talking
about wasnt needed. The entire server was the bubble!

Great times.

Pantheon

Post by Pantheon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:27 am

Friendz001 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:19 am
Pantheon wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:13 am

You have a really nice way of talking to people.
You are probably right, I just need to look better and work a bit more on finding the right
people instead of complaining. And if we keep reporting toxic behaviour, we can keep it under controll.

Yet I still hope and wish we can get a small pop realm again, I really do, because that bubble youre talking
about wasnt needed. The entire server was the bubble!

Great times.
Shamma wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:18 am
Is the whole guild housing thing not there for this reason - have a common ground to visit and hangout? I stumbled by accident on a guild house in duskwood - between the road and the shack of the embalmer. There were 4-5 ppl from the same guild there sitting by a fire and RPing. This was about a week ago. It was a nice sight. I was happy to find such a thing.

I guess it is more of a consolation prize thought. Definitely would feel different if the whole Stormwind City would play by the RP rules...
Oh cool I have a new mission now, thanks. hiding_smth_turtle_head
It's okay to feel the way you do. Anyone can understand when put into your shoes when you have something and you feel like it's getting taken away from you, and it's as if no one cares or is listening. It's not the case tho. There are people who think and feel like you do, and because there are others like you, you can be sure that the community you miss and want, isn't really gone.

Friendz001

Post by Friendz001 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:39 am

Pantheon wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:27 am
It's okay to feel the way you do. Anyone can understand when put into your shoes when you have something and you feel like it's getting taken away from you, and it's as if no one cares or is listening. It's not the case tho. There are people who think and feel like you do, and because there are others like you, you can be sure that the community you miss and want, isn't really gone.

Thanks man.
I even started working on an RP addon for the server but then I stopped because I became more and more
frustrated. I think im gonna start working on that again. Lets see if its gonna be any usefull or if I can even finish it.

Pantheon

Post by Pantheon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:41 am

Friendz001 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:39 am
Pantheon wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:27 am

Thanks man.
I even started working on an RP addon for the server but then I stopped because I became more and more
frustrated. I think im gonna start working on that again. Lets see if its gonna be any usefull or if I can even finish it.
Absolutely work on it. Nurture the community you want to thrive!

I'd install your Addon for RP!

Keegus

Post by Keegus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:28 pm

I understand where the OP is coming from honestly. I know why, from the developer and GM side you want to pretend everything is ok, and it's the fault of RPers for not "doing more"...but the fact is we in the RP community, whether it's the hardcore RPer always in character or the casual RPer who only participates when it's brought to us, have been shunted off to second class citizen status despite this server being advertised as an RP server and was supported by the people in the RP community before it "hit the big time".

Yes, we get it, more players means more monetary support for more development, but it feels like a bait and switch at this point. It's not our job to report everyone breaking the rules, especially when it's been so blatant and even the worst offenders just get a "I'm disappointed in you son" level of punishment. We aren't here to be moderators, that's your jobs.