Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post Reply
User avatar
Ctmatsumoto
Posts: 21

Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Ctmatsumoto » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:04 am

Tauren Priests
"The three most powerful healers in a tauren tribe support the chief, the most powerful of whom takes the title seer."
Faction: The Seers

Spells
  • Level 10: An’she’s Foresight - Greatly increases the morale of party members, giving them x mana every 5 sec. Effect lasts 15 sec. 15 mana. Instant. 5 minute cooldown.
  • Level 20: Fear Ward - Wards the friendly target against Fear. The next Fear effect used against the target will fail, using up the ward. Lasts 10 min.

User avatar
Sinrek
Posts: 1083

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Sinrek » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 am

Please, don't bring this rewritten to no end sucked outta the broken finger badly wrecked stories of tauren priests. At his point everyone knows that they made tauren purely as a joke, which makes me even more sad due to the mockery 90% of players bring with all those cow jokes and puns with stupid names like Uncownterabull or similar "funne" things.

Tauren were initially there to represent the nomadic culture and reminder of native american people. Yet players and of all people even devs turned it into a sick joke.

Priests aren't needed there, imo. Tauren have shamans and druids for that.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

User avatar
Ctmatsumoto
Posts: 21

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Ctmatsumoto » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 am

Sinrek wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 am
Please, don't bring this rewritten to no end sucked outta the broken finger badly wrecked stories of tauren priests. At his point everyone knows that they made tauren purely as a joke, which makes me even more sad due to the mockery 90% of players bring with all those cow jokes and puns with stupid names like Uncownterabull or similar "funne" things.

Tauren were initially there to represent the nomadic culture and reminder of native american people. Yet players and of all people even devs turned it into a sick joke.

Priests aren't needed there, imo. Tauren have shamans and druids for that.
Priests can also bring an element of Native culture that Shamans and Druids lack. In fact, in some Native cultures, shamans and priests were treated separately, especially among plains Natives which the Tauren are heavily inspired by. A priest was national or tribal rather than individual, and function was that of a leader in ceremonies and a keeper of sacred myths than a direct mediator between spirits and tribesmen.

User avatar
Sinrek
Posts: 1083

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Sinrek » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 am

Ctmatsumoto wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 am
Sinrek wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 am
Please, don't bring this rewritten to no end sucked outta the broken finger badly wrecked stories of tauren priests. At his point everyone knows that they made tauren purely as a joke, which makes me even more sad due to the mockery 90% of players bring with all those cow jokes and puns with stupid names like Uncownterabull or similar "funne" things.

Tauren were initially there to represent the nomadic culture and reminder of native american people. Yet players and of all people even devs turned it into a sick joke.

Priests aren't needed there, imo. Tauren have shamans and druids for that.
Priests can also bring an element of Native culture that Shamans and Druids lack. In fact, in some Native cultures, shamans and priests were treated separately, especially among plains Natives which the Tauren are heavily inspired by. A priest was national or tribal rather than individual, and function was that of a leader in ceremonies and a keeper of sacred myths than a direct mediator between spirits and tribesmen.
I don't see any particular department that priests would cover where shamans and druids lacking as you say. Shamans tend to elementals and spirits. Druids tend to the Nature itself, life and restoration, besides the spirits of the animals and those demigods who helped during the dire times. Both heal the wounded and tend for the spiritual needs of their people.

Priests are mostly human invention and should stay there. It's the differences that these races address their spiritual needs, true, yet those are what defines them.

And there's no need to bring trolls here as an example, that doesn't work for this argument.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

User avatar
Paledot
Posts: 22

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Paledot » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 am

With little effort there could be priests of almost anything and I guess that‘s also the reason they had additional racials. Like to show that NE priest with starshards is something else than Human priest with prayer or UD priest with shadow dot… But you should stop somewhere, right? While I think Tauren Priest is not that far off like Goblin Priest suggested in the other thread, I would still say NO…

And yes, troll priest is also tribal, but they have the Aztec/Mayan influence to them and those really clearly had priests in their society. It‘s not so clear with native americans.

Mac
Posts: 409

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Mac » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:33 am

I think the last time this forum discussed tauren priests a lot of good points were brought up about them.

User avatar
Gnomoerectus
Posts: 18

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Gnomoerectus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:52 am

I know it's a lot of work for not a lot of gain so it's probably never going to happen but I'd like to see priests get spells with different names and animations (but the same effects) depending on their culture.
At that point a lot more races could be priests since the holy light wouldn't be involved.

User avatar
Proudwell
Posts: 44

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Proudwell » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:19 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 am
Ctmatsumoto wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 am
Sinrek wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 am
<snip>
<snip>
I don't see any particular department that priests would cover where shamans and druids lacking as you say. Shamans tend to elementals and spirits. Druids tend to the Nature itself, life and restoration, besides the spirits of the animals and those demigods who helped during the dire times. Both heal the wounded and tend for the spiritual needs of their people.

Priests are mostly human invention and should stay there. It's the differences that these races address their spiritual needs, true, yet those are what defines them.

And there's no need to bring trolls here as an example, that doesn't work for this argument.
Once again you make a very poor argument based on your reactionary view of the game. You have already decided to cherrypick what examples you will accept or will not accept with no actual reason supplied with it.

If you see priests as a human invention, that is your fault for your lack of depth when it comes to understanding the concept of what a priest is. There is next to nothing worth debating with you.

User avatar
Sinrek
Posts: 1083

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Sinrek » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 pm

Proudwell wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:19 pm
Sinrek wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 am
Ctmatsumoto wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 am


<snip>
I don't see any particular department that priests would cover where shamans and druids lacking as you say. Shamans tend to elementals and spirits. Druids tend to the Nature itself, life and restoration, besides the spirits of the animals and those demigods who helped during the dire times. Both heal the wounded and tend for the spiritual needs of their people.

Priests are mostly human invention and should stay there. It's the differences that these races address their spiritual needs, true, yet those are what defines them.

And there's no need to bring trolls here as an example, that doesn't work for this argument.
Once again you make a very poor argument based on your reactionary view of the game. You have already decided to cherrypick what examples you will accept or will not accept with no actual reason supplied with it.

If you see priests as a human invention, that is your fault for your lack of depth when it comes to understanding the concept of what a priest is. There is next to nothing worth debating with you.
Feel free to never quote me. Thank you.
wary_turtle_head
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Aragorndagon
Posts: 1

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Aragorndagon » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 pm

Quite an interesting classification, thanks for the information. The world of warcraft is so diverse, very similar to the world of people, multicultural and multiracial. I even wrote an interesting article about it, thanks to the example from https://edubirdie.com/examples/multiculturalism/ which helped me to immerse myself in the topic
Last edited by Aragorndagon on Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kefke
Posts: 77

Re: Tauren Priests (Not Sunwalkers)

Post by Kefke » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:41 pm

Honestly, my main bone of contention here is the reuse of Fear Ward.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you'd want to give Taurens a Fear Ward, I just don't agree with it. The point of a racial spell is that it's something unique to that race. Just reusing another race's spell because it's good feels cheap, and doesn't really highlight anything uniquely Tauren. I'd say that either they should have an ability that achieves the same goal, but differently, or that perhaps this desire to give it to multiple races highlights a bigger issue with Fear Ward itself needing to lose its racial status altogether.

Post Reply