A new class added to the game

Phoenixphire

A new class added to the game

Post by Phoenixphire » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you all very much for your feedback on my last post about Undead Paladins, I read all the replies and it seems like most people don't like the idea. Most people seem to want MORE Race and or faction uniqueness and I saw someone bring up adding another class to the game like witchdoctor that is unique to a race or faction. I am all for it. Seeing as we already have cross faction grouping, what would you folks think of a WC3, WC2, or current Vanilla inspired new classes unique to each faction?

Now let me start by saying yes, this would be ATON of work, I am not saying it has to happen or is easy to do, this is merely a discussion and suggestion. If lots of people are into the idea, maybe the Twow devs see that as an option for a big content drop. Who knows. This could add an even more unique feel to the factions that has been slightly lost with more race class combos and cross faction gameplay. I also think it would be a massive draw for new players and could shake up the slightly stale raid meta of current vanilla. On top of that its another hundred hours of gameplay at least for interested hardcore players to try the grind with. And the possibilities would amazing class quests are endless. Below are some possible ideas for a class.

Keep in mind these are just ideas to get the discussion going, not EXACTLY WHAT id want to see. Mostly just general little outlines. A lot of these would require the debuff limit to be raised to be raid viable. Not worried about balance at this very moment, but of course that would be an end goal. If anyone likes any of the suggestions specifically I would be happy to make a full class write up for them with possible spec ideas, spell ideas, and more. And I would love to hear any feedback on them or the whole idea in general. At the end of the day I just want this to be a great server and have the community be happy. happy_turtle_head

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT WANT TURTLE WOW TO TURN INTO RETAIL, WHAT I WANT IS EXPANDING ON THE ORIGINAL VANILLA WORLD AND DESIGN TO KEEP IT ALIVE FOR YEARS TO COME. AND I ENJOY GIVING SUGGESTIONS AND HAVING DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE TOPIC.

Demon Hunter: Dps/off tank
Alliance only:
Duel wield, cloth/leather, spell melee hybrid
Strengths: Aoe, debuffs, melee/spell evasion
Weaknesses: No self healing, not super mobile, hard gearing choices
These are your dad's Demon Hunters, not mega flashy, no wings, no green fire. These are real demon hunters. Possible unique additions to make them different from rogues and warlocks would be a debuff heavy play style, focused around staying alive with evasion style abilities, and really trying to pick apart the enemy. Cool class mechanics could be shirt slot items with stats "Tattoos" or blindfolds from class quests with good stats or buffs for the demon hunter.

Death Knight (Horde deathknight not scourge)
Horde only:
2 hander, mail, spell melee hybrid
Strengths: dot playstyle both ranged and melee, life leech, melee life leech
Weaknesses: low mobility, lots of channeled abilities
The horde death knights of old would bring a new dimension to horde that the shaman and warlock don't bring. With channeled damage over time abilities, life leeching melee attacks, and a slow but purposeful playstyle (they lost their horsies) they would make a great addition to the horde class roster. Unique class mechanics possible being specials dots capped at one per target like curses, and a drain like ability that does damage and a unique effect depending on the dot that has been casted on the target. Like a small pulsing aoe during the drain, or maybe giving health back to the caster.

Tinker
Alliance only:
Gun/bow/crossbow ranged support
Strengths: Temporary support buffs, decent ranged damage, temporary pets (Bomblings, mechanostriders)
Weaknesses: Squishy, not very bursty, works better with allies
A ranged support class with some good damage if specced right, the tinker is the support class that WoW never really quite got. Adding another character that will use ranged weapons but not copying hunters, the tinker brings buffs and gadgets to the battle field to either hurt or harm. The heal bot follows a target and will cast a heal on them but can be killed if targeted. The bombling while it has a mind of its own can connect and explode on a target doing aoe damage. Possible class unique mechanics are buffing robots that follow the target until killed or after a duration, Unique low duration summons, and a focus on buffing.

Necromancer
Horde only:
cloth wearing caster
Strengths: Permanent raiseable pets
weaknesses: Squishy, low mobility, dependent on pet
While other classes with pets have one spec dedicated to their pet at best. This class is all about the pet and customizing it with talents. Whether you want it to be ranged, melee, or more tanky. The necromancer can buff their pet with unique buffs and commands causing them to act differently. Unique class mechanics could be Mostly focused on pet gameplay, your pet having different bonuses depending on the creature it was raised or assembled from, also making much more heavy use of the wand item with spells that scale off of the player's wand.

Once again guys, these are just rough outlines to get a real discussion going if people are interested. I would love to see the Twow team make a class after seeing all their other great work. I know these are all not perfect and have problems but its mostly just as examples to get a discussion going about the topic, thanks for reading!

Ghola

Re: A new class added to the game

Post by Ghola » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:06 am

interesting ideas here, my personal idea was to have demon hunters be nightelf/highelf only and death knights be orc/undead only

lorewise the undead death knights helped orc souls return to orc bodies or some such

Both classes feel like they should be hero classes, and should start around level 30 perhaps. And they would only have a single talent tree with both dps and tanking abilities, much like feral tree is now

for death knights, a unique flavor could be giving them access to soul shards. Another idea I had for them was some sort of form change where they go from using mana to using rage, like an "unholy frenzy" or somesuch. some spell ideas are cyclone from wc2, summon skeletons, shadow shock, bone shield, maybe a shadowbolt volley.

for demon hunters, to match the soulbag that dks will probably carry, demon hunters can have access to ranged weapons and attacks and use an ammo pouch. My idea was sort of a reverse melee-weaving hunter, where instead of running in to raptor strike, you run out to do a ranged attack, like a glaive toss that bounces or a shadow arrow (can give them some shadow hunter abilities, hey they both have hunter in the name). To match the form change death knights have, demon hunters could metamorphisis and use energy rather than mana.

Maybe one day I will make a mangos server so I can fuck around with these myself, trying to brainstorm up a whole new class without actually being able to test it is rather frustrating

Ghola

Post by Ghola » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:15 am

Another idea I had was a bard/merchant/mercenary class. It would be the ultimate support, and not even have a true dps spec.

Rather, bard spec would be a healing spec based around temporary buffs and could have a system similar to combo points to heal and do damage, i think lord of the rings online did something similar.

The mercenary style would also be buff focused, but you get a "pet" to tank for your group, which is really a goon you hired. Merchant in octopath traveler does something similar to this where you can pay currency to summon different levels of npc. Basically imagine a goblin shouting at an ogre "hit that one, no THAT one you big oaf!"

And the mercant spec is my personal favorite, it would be a spec entirely based around being a bank alt. You could access the whole tree from low levels using gold, and would unlock additional bag space, the ability to disenchant without having the profession, faster movement in capital cities, etc. And my favorite, the ability to give characters who run by you small buffs based on a song or tale your merchant tells about your main character

Hombrehongo

Post by Hombrehongo » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:24 am

I would like to see more classes based on W3.

-Blademaster: Glasscanon, 2hswords, cloth, orc
-Shadow Hunter: Dark shaman, loa spirits, leather, troll
-Lich: Ice and shadow caster, cloth, undead
-Dark Ranger: mix of hunter and warlock, leather, undead
-Warden: agi based tank, plate, elf
-Beastmaster: Several pets, dual wield melee only, leather, orc

Of course any new class adds a lot of work for the devs and I dont see them creating new classes any time soon.

Venytas

Post by Venytas » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:03 am

NIce thread. Im just commenting so the devs can see that I like the suggestions, dont mind me.

Noce

Post by Noce » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:35 pm

necromacers would be a dream class to have. they could only have one spec if its too much work to give them 3 specs. they could be some copy of diablos necros, they are made quite good there. they are masters of summoning spells, poison, bone and curses spells. i could see them as in two specs: animator/summoner/artificier/embalmer - rise dead as skeleton, summoning golems and ultimate rise dead npc; and a pure solo [no pet/summon] dps lich/sorcerer. they could cast bone spears, bone shields, curses, unholy auras, bone prisons - terror - confuse/attract as form of cc, poison daggers similar to rogues, poison novas... they could use staves, daggers, shields, frills, mbe swords, and ofc cloth class. as race: humans, trolls, orcs, undead. for aliance other than humans not sure who should be necro. mbe both gnome and dwarf.

"A Necromancer’s dominion over life and death grants this grisly apothecary the ability to summon skeleton armies and golems, and to unleash baneful poison, curse, and bone skills upon his foes."

Wolle

Post by Wolle » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:45 pm

I like it, but why should only horde get Necromancer or Death Knight? Especially Necromancers can also be on Alliance side, just as Warlocks are also. Because Tinker is a bit stinky and unsexy in comparison to the horde proposals.

Thol

Post by Thol » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm

Like you said I fear this would be way too much work. But Kevin Jordan (vanilla wow dev) said that hero classes were initially planned to be evolution of current classes for example demon hunter would have been unlocked through a quest for night elves warriors. Could give you a unique passive and a unique skill. Would be easier to implement and balance like that.

Adunai

Post by Adunai » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:20 pm

I absolutely love this solution of faction-specific Demon Hunters and WC2-style necromantic Death Knights! Although my question would be - how to deal with the 6-class limit per race?
The Sin'dorei reign supreme! © Grand Astromancer Capernian

Phoenixphire

Post by Phoenixphire » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:57 pm

Adunai wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:20 pm
I absolutely love this solution of faction-specific Demon Hunters and WC2-style necromantic Death Knights! Although my question would be - how to deal with the 6-class limit per race?
Modders have found solutions to it. Some people have said the 6 class limit is actually easy to go over and not a hard limit and just a rumor just taking a little bit of UI editting. The EASY EASY solution is to add another race that is just lets say "Human" but its only class available is the custom one as an easy work around. Either way it isn't a limiting factor.

Phoenixphire

Post by Phoenixphire » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:00 pm

I am super glad to see lots of people like this idea more to add more uniqueness, I hope a dev sees this and takes note of the enthusiasm the community has for this concept. :D

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:54 pm

Thol wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm
Like you said I fear this would be way too much work. But Kevin Jordan (vanilla wow dev) said that hero classes were initially planned to be evolution of current classes for example demon hunter would have been unlocked through a quest for night elves warriors. Could give you a unique passive and a unique skill. Would be easier to implement and balance like that.
This is exactly what I was thinking, building new classes from the ground up could be too upsetting to the balance of the game, but making new classes as deviations from existing classes would be less intrusive.

Troll shamans could be given extra talent options to choose from that include shadow spells, and if a player puts their points into these then their official class title is changed to shadow hunter, while they still by and large function as a shaman. Since it's a few additional spells and not an entirely new spec, most of the abilities they use would still be traditional shaman abilities. (This could be done with troll priests instead if that's a better base to build shadow hunters off of)

The same thing could be done with orc hunters to create beast master, etc

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:05 pm

Hey there!

We on the team love the idea of custom, unique classes. It's something that has been and will be discussed more in the future. However, we have a lot of custom content in the works, encompassing all levels and modes of gameplay. It would take a tremendous amount of work to release a new class in a condition we'd feel proud of. It is something we'd definitely love to do in the future, however, we have many other updates we're going to do first.

So we appreciate the suggestion, and ask that you stick around a while. Maybe in the future you'll see an awesome new class, but for now, we've got a whole lot of other stuff coming.
Public Relations / Community Manager / Head of Recruitment

Looking to join Turtle? Need media information? Contact me!

Phoenixphire

Post by Phoenixphire » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:40 pm

Akalix wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:05 pm
Hey there!

We on the team love the idea of custom, unique classes. It's something that has been and will be discussed more in the future. However, we have a lot of custom content in the works, encompassing all levels and modes of gameplay. It would take a tremendous amount of work to release a new class in a condition we'd feel proud of. It is something we'd definitely love to do in the future, however, we have many other updates we're going to do first.

So we appreciate the suggestion, and ask that you stick around a while. Maybe in the future you'll see an awesome new class, but for now, we've got a whole lot of other stuff coming.
Couldn't have asked for a better response, I know its a bit of a pie in the sky suggestion, but its awesome to hear its an idea you guys like cause I know a lot of the community probably does too. Hopefully many updates down the line it could be something we get to see! Until then I know you guys have lots of other awesome content you are working on and I can't wait to see what's next. smiling_turtle_head

Sapiverenus

Post by Sapiverenus » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:24 pm

Akalix wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:05 pm
Hey there!

You have it all backwards.

As it is the game is watered down. People see the classes as competing for 1 of 3 roles, and there's not much substantial or unique about most class/specs in that case. For the most part they're right; and the development direction is all wrong if you think creating more classes and races is a good idea. That's just polishing a turd.

The core mechanics of the game is lacking and needs a lot of steady development; the Turtle team can make flexible Swiss Army Knife classes more useful by making content more dynamic and intelligent, requiring reactive play and flexibility to complete.

I have my suggestions elsewhere so I'll leave it at that.
Hostiles raiding from Dungeons; Unique Meeting Stones no LFG
Class Leveling Mechanics
Big and Deep Ideas
Darker Nights Ideas

Challenge to anyone reading:Think of what a good 100 hour level 1 - 20 custom experience would be.

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:40 pm

Id love the idea of necromancer and could bring a lot of ideas from diablo 2 talent tree

Summoning tree (upgrades your summons and allow.summon more skeletons/ghouls/zombies) exclusive summon: a strong abomination. Or a temporary frost wyrm

Curses tree (make your enemies weaker. Aoe defuffs/dots. Good for cc)

Shadow mague (shadow/frost damage. Maybe the last talent could be turn temporary into a lich)
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

Badmaalox

Post by Badmaalox » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:11 pm

Just wanna say I'd love to see any of the ones mentioned over or anything at all really, I feel like a completely new class would be what a lot of people need to come back to vanilla and it would had a lot of population to the server, plus it could be interesting to "learn" again through leveling without knowing everything as we do now!

Apimius

Post by Apimius » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:38 pm

Id say lets first fix underwhelming specs before we think about new classes (which is a ton more work than fixing some specs)

Akarui

Post by Akarui » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:19 pm

temporary pets - bad idea. Blizzard thought about that when created warlocks. And they thought that this is bad idea and uncomfortable gameplay