Profession: Survival. Expansion Ideas (Discussion)

Seaofgioy

Profession: Survival. Expansion Ideas (Discussion)

Post by Seaofgioy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:36 pm

Good day, fellow turtles.
Let me preface this with this: I don't know what the Turtle team has in mind for Survival, but at the moment is would seem solely centered on off-hands, a few items that help exploration and campfires. I seem to remember traps were mentioned once.

I would propose to expand it slightly, with a bit more flavour with items such as Fishing Poles! Starting from a simple "Makeshift Fishing Pole" with a +3 modifier to fishing and crafted using some Simple wood and a Stranglekelp, or a Coarse thread.
As your skill in Survival increases, you might be able to craft fishing poles from Iron rods or some such as well. We could even craft some bows in much the same way!
I think it would make for an interesting game loop to have Logs drop from Treant elementals across Azeroth, maybe having them have to be cured with salt (or ash, but I think we should give priority to not cluttering the game with one-off items instead of perfect realism) and have these logs used for higher level fishing poles, or different looking tents, with the same effect, but maybe use wool cloth to make the white pirate ones, or silk for the High Elf variant, each Outline given by respective rep/mobs. (Could go the extra mile and add a rare mob that drops it, but I believe that to be too much)

How cool would it be to have a "Animated fishing rod" +20 fishing *It seems to know where the fish's at* ?

We could have something like a "Shadow Infused Bow" with some bonus shadow damage on hit, but I feel that arrows would be more fitting. Have a Cured Withered Log combine with some Shadow oil and Shadowgem for Shadow-Tipped Bolts. Or the same for frost, which would work similar to other vanilla weapons that had a FireDamage component, ignoring armor for that 2-5 damage.

And for last, we could have something to work on the "area of effect buff" theme that lanterns have: Incense burners, or Flares: the first is an off-hand that consumes a specific reagent to give a very small buff to close by players. The second is a consumable, made with, as an example, Silversage, Buiseweed and fine thread that, when used consumes it and gives a very tiny buff around you. I do not want to see these used in raids, but they could help out groups of players. This might be bordering on feature creep, I'll end it here before I go on a deep dive on using Crawler Claws and Beady Eye Stalks to craft fish glue.

Let me know what you thought about this suggestion, is it too much feature creep? Too far from our beloved vanilla?
Personally, I believe Survival, being a secondary profession, should work with materials available to everyone, just as the other three do. I'll await anxiously your comment and critique!

Yeeoldeknite

Re: Profession: Survival. Expansion Ideas (Discussion)

Post by Yeeoldeknite » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:57 pm

Kinda love the idea. It would be cool if most of the components already existed and weren’t new ones added into the game. Maybe reagents and so on. It would be nice to see survival continue to grow.

Gurky

Post by Gurky » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:26 pm

I like the idea of this thread, lets keep some ideas flowing as the survival profession is a little too small for my liking.

Bricius

Post by Bricius » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:59 am

Heres a couple of fun ones.
Grappling Hook - Lets you throw a hook and pull yourself to it. Useful for climbing up small cliffs and obstacles. Crafted with 1 Iron Hook and 2 Rope. 20 Yard Range. Does not require line of sight (this might be a maybe part), has a 1 second cast timer. Idea comes from Legend of Zelda hooks and the Outlaw Rogue from retail, and think it could be fun to have some form of 'climbing' ability for all players to get a hold of.

Repelling Line/Anchor - Lets you slow your descent. Not quite a parachute so that engineers still have those. 1 second cast time gives a 15 Second Slow Fall buff, must be target cast within range of a solid structure. Crafted with 1 Iron Hook and 2 Rope. I feel this will help the survival profession's description of "Allowing a Survivalist to create tools to overcome obstacles...".

Simple Critter Trap - Makes a simple trap for critters for when you really need some food. Crafted with 1 Rope, 1 Scrap Metal, 1 Trap Trigger. Critters that step on it will be killed and can be looted for Morsel Meat. Morsel Meat can be right-click cooked at a Bright Campfire to make Cooked Meat, a basic low level food equivalent to tough meat or some other low level food youd buy from a vendor.

Simple Remedy - This may belong in First Aid or even Gardening and not Survival. Allows you to create a Simple Remedy that removes a single disease (as we really only have poison removal in professions). 1 Minute Cooldown. Requires Health Giving Herbs (purchasable/found in the wild?).

Water Bucket - Allows you to collect water from any water source (right click while standing in water, creates 'Filled Water Bucket'), then right-click to boil it over a Bright Campfire for sanitary reasons. Requires 1 Metal Ingot. Produces 5 Refreshing Spring Water (a very low level drink).

Hombrehongo

Post by Hombrehongo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:02 am

Survival shoud allow you to craft baits for fishing. Combining a tigeseye with some rope to make a shiny bauble or fish with salt to make a special bait.

F41lz0rs

Post by F41lz0rs » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:40 pm

my idea seems relevate check it out here about crafftable workbenches. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3518

Bricius

Post by Bricius » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:34 am

F41lz0rs wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:40 pm
my idea seems relevate check it out here about crafftable workbenches. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3518
Like how they introduced the Thermal Anvil into wow in MoP, but for the other professions as well.

Suthorian

Post by Suthorian » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 am

some ideas for Survival:

Craftable Mount: Rowboat increase speed on water by 50%

water purifier - allows you to create https://www.wowhead.com/item=159/refres ... ring-water
or higher level consumables depending on your survival skill level must be standing in a water source to use, the item should have a limited amount of use like 10 uses

note: i haven't used the survival skill yet myself so i don't know if these things are already in it or not
Suthorian - Therabrim

Kyzen

Post by Kyzen » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:07 am

Great ideas happy_turtle

Bricius

Post by Bricius » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:53 am

Another one! Walking Staff - Requires Wood, Rope, Moss Agate. Off Hand Equip or perhaps just a Main Hand Mace or something. Gives minor stamina but most importantly gives +10% Run Speed when not mounted.

Bricius

Post by Bricius » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:28 pm

(Im going to keep adding to these until we get acknowledged lol)
-Sleeping Bag/Sleeping Cot
Made with Wool/Silk Cloth, Fine Thread, Light Leather, and Wood if its decided this will be a Sleeping Cot. Sets down a right-click interactable object that for its duration lets you lay on it. If used inside a rest-zone such as a City/Inn it will allow you to get Rested Bonus at the same rate as a Tent. If used underneath a tent, it quadruples the rate at which you gate Rested Bonus.

Seaofgioy

Post by Seaofgioy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:44 pm

I'm really enjoying the Rappelling tool, could be crafted with some leather and buckles!

I definetly want a rowboat, altho the fishing boat is gorgeous already!

The idea for simple Baits is intriguing, could also be made from some of the grey items you get from fishing in a too high level zones, it would help out getting those last points!

The Sleeping cots are interesting, but maybe a bit reduntant with tents. I'd definetly like mroe tents tho! Maybe even connected to the centaur clans in Desolace!

Samsara

Post by Samsara » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:24 pm

I think inns should give the same buff as tents but only when online, offline returns to regular rested xp. that way instead of getting a bunch of packed afks in tents in the middle of roads we could have people near cities hang out at inns and have a rp break or whatever. tents should be more interesting to use when away from inns.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 pm

I made a post a while ago with survival ideas.

The link is available in my signature if you wanna check it out.