Should Alliance and Horde be able to talk through /Yell and /Say ?

Lee

Should Alliance and Horde be able to talk through /Yell and /Say ?

Post by Lee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44 am

smiling_turtle_head

Leluch

Re: Should Alliance and Horde be able to talk through /Yell and /Say ?

Post by Leluch » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:44 am

Once upon a time I saw a post. In which they told how the game changes the words for another faction. There were even special tables to be able to communicate / or understand these illegible writings. If memory serves lol = zag-zag . So if I see an Orc who says zagzag then actually he wrote lol.

So...
I don't think you should do that, nor should transmogrification .Because there are ways to understand another faction.
(And also if you want to look good.you can just carry it all in your bag=) and put it on whenever you want=) and no transmogrification is needed=) vanilla.it's vanilla :3 )

Speculoos

Post by Speculoos » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I thought about it tonight when looking at my character sheet, since languages are a skill wouldn't it make sense to be able to learn new a one? After all we already see npcs apparently switching between orcish and common depending on your faction so it wouldn't be so weird for pcs to have access to cross faction speak.

Orntz

Post by Orntz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:55 am

Yes. They should be able to. And it isn't hard to do but will annoy "blizzlike" devotees.

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 am

Speculoos +1

IIRC, on the original WoW release, humans and undeads were both speaking Common, but people abused that feature to curse at each other, so the "Gutterspeak" was introduced.
At least let's give it a try (if technically possible).

Leluch

Post by Leluch » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:31 am

Tortuga +1
too say original WoW release we can speak

Torta

Post by Torta » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 am

Greetings!

I guess we will give it a try to see how it goes :)
Would you like to have /world chat united on the launch day?

Wyke

Post by Wyke » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 am

I think on an RP realm this is a useful tool, if the community uses it responsibly then it should require no moderation. If population grows to above 100 per faction online then perhaps then consider splitting the in game chat and asking the community to set up their own discord channels or arranging events via the forums. (I am thinking that even on a PVE realm there may be a desire to set up the occasional pvp battle such as a x-roads raid or SS/TM battle)

Blight

Post by Blight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 am

World chat is mostly used for grouping, trade and shit talking. None of these help having the other faction in there. At the very least it'll add to useless spam having to indicate who you're talking to.

Dragonsedai

Post by Dragonsedai » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:44 am

Adding it is nice. Maybe leave it up to each player to activate it if they want to use it.

Dandilion

Post by Dandilion » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Torta wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 am
Greetings!

Yes!

Edo

Post by Edo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:22 pm

I'd turn it on at launch, with the provision that if we break 100 per side consistently it is turned off, replacing them potentially with xfaction chat zones in goblin cities.

Thestrifist

Post by Thestrifist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:29 pm

We're going to chat anyway on Disc, I don't see why adding it IG is going to change much.

Recusant

Post by Recusant » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:41 pm

I myself like the idea of cross-faction /say and /emote. Considering this is billed as an RP server, and Vanilla is set in the timeline to merely be a tense ceasefire, it'd be cool to see that reflected in the game.

Besides, a pool of RPers and chatters that is twice as big does twice as well, at least that's my hope lmao.

Araglas

Post by Araglas » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:40 am

I think having a global and a world chat option would be great, with one for spamming, unrelated conversation and the other strictly business. Maybe also the global could be cross faction?

Owondyah

Post by Owondyah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am

Torta wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 am
Greetings!

No, for the love of GOD NO!

You make the RP realm and than you piss on it with most immersion breaking feature you can possibly think in WoW ?

How serious are you?

Let me give you few examples of how stupid that idea is:

- as RP realm you will most probably have military guilds opened. Those guilds will not be able to do mass recruitment for their actions (zone occupation, city attack etc etc) trough public chats due to X-faction nature of it. Element of surprise is gone. I am joining this server for one purpose only, to create or join such guild, and that purpose and goal is gonna be fkd up with x-faction chat.

- It's vanilla ffs... you will expose every single group location to stalkers that will know where to go and gank people. It's enough for me to do LFM Scholo and some random dude will know that soon there will be people to farm at scholomance.
Not that those guys won't be ganked without xfaction chat, but this is literally exposing them with 100% accuracy and fkn timestamp on where to go to meet them and gank them...

- It's gonna be everything BUT RP. Bitching, moaning, QQ, that typicall "lol 60 farming lowbies, how low can you go" rant etc etc etc... do you REE HEE HEE EEEAAALLLYYY (jim carrey style) want it on your realm? Yes it's PVE but you allowed flagging for pvp and trust me, ppl WILL put that flag on. Vanilla is there for open world pvp... nothing else makes it more special.

- Lost sense of community! If there is ONE, fkn ONE, thing that divides vanilla wow from rest of gaming industry, it's sense of community. It's one thing to know that there is certain douche on horde side and his name is "Sheetloader" and you know he will attack you whenever he sees you, you know he is gonna gank lvl 1 player up until he deletes character etc etc... and it's COMPLETELY other thing to scream how stupid he is, how he spends his "life farming low lvls" etc etc on your custom made xfaction chat..
It's one thing to know alliance raid progression trough forum posts or trough gear you see on their characters and compeltely other thing to be able to rant about how some horde noobs can't kill certain boss and then we mock each other on that STUPID MOTHAFUKIN XFACTION CHAT.

I'll be first one to leave if it's xfaction (and my client is not even fully downloaded yet, 3,3gb).
Mark my words, it's gonna be 250-300 players realm with xfaction chat.
If it's proper RP realm, without custom bullcrap, it's gonna hit that 1k mark!

EDIT:
and yea... for those saying "just /leave world chat" NO! The fact that it exists and is available, hurts the community. We can all leave it but it's there, devs are allowing you to do it. You are pretty much "handicapped" if you don't use it. You are allowed to get a shortcut to some info, instead of working your way and getting that info on a harder, RP-ish, way.
Mah YahTuhbe stuffz (TW related content included)

Have you VOTED today?

OWONDYAH armory link

Wyke

Post by Wyke » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:00 pm

It is a PVE realm, so any encounters need to be consensual, and therefor organised. This allow players to recreate battels like SS vs TM without getting in the way of those not wanting to be involved. satisfied_turtle_head

Owondyah

Post by Owondyah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 pm

that doesn't justify most unblizzlike feature of all, ESPECIALLY, on RP realm

Have you VOTED today?

OWONDYAH armory link

Speculoos

Post by Speculoos » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Not too hot about having world chat be global.
And chill Owondyah most of the stuff you're talking about only happen on pvp servers, pve with optional pvp is a huge deterrent for StabMcShank and generally unsavory individuals who like to shit up the place.

Owondyah

Post by Owondyah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:34 pm

just no... don't make it xfaction.

Any reason you can make it sound good, I can give you 2 more to make it not good.

RP server with xfaction channels and understandable /say /yell between factions is... ugghhh... stupid?

Have you VOTED today?

OWONDYAH armory link

Reix2x

Post by Reix2x » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:06 pm

It would be very cool if you could learn to speak different wow languages (through custom quest chains)

Recusant

Post by Recusant » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Owondyah wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am
[Block of Text]
My dude, relax.

There is no possible element of surprise related to the recruitment of military guilds, first of all. As well, any RP-related PvP endeavors are best planned to provide a desired experience. RP can be best served as a collaborative storytelling experience, not a collective exercise in verisimilitudinous execution of game mechanics. A healthy OOC environment would be great in establishing connections for RPers to meet up and make stories. Besides, we're all on the same Discord anyway, so it's not as if we don't have all the insight as to what "the other faction" is talking about at any point. Being IC 100% of the time just isn't feasible and casting restrictions on things that would be fun in that endeavor seems like hamstringing oneself.

This is also a PvE server. There is no ganking. Bluewalling is the optimal option to avoid all ganking ever. Non-issue.

I think a community that is capable of acting like adults even across arbitrary lines of in-game faction can more than handle a cross-faction chat or removal of language barriers, and I think the devs at Turtle WoW aim to foster that sort of community.

Please refrain from holding your own entrance into the server hostage in some heated endeavor to remove a possible feature that is not to your tastes, in the future.

Relax. It's okay. We can hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Owondyah

Post by Owondyah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm

my dude....

I can't wait to come back in few months and throw this post in your face when this server gets 150 players peak mostly because it "fosters" something that breaks any community.

That being features which are not meant to exist in game, for valid reasons.
If horde and alliance should be able to understand each other, I'm pretty much sure that a capable company like blizzard would made it happen back when they launched the game.

Just don't try to invent the wheel all over again and try to be smarter than people whose product you are using.
If wheel was meant to be round, and inventor made it round, why the hell you try to make it square?

Just leave the chat as it is... for your own good.

Have you VOTED today?

OWONDYAH armory link

Speculoos

Post by Speculoos » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 pm

I'm positive that's actually what was planned during development before blizzard aborted the whole thing and released the pvp we know. May have to dig into old scanned mags to be sure.

Edit: Found one https://archive.org/details/Computer_Ga ... 8/page/n81
The whole article is interesting because we can see lot of cut content in it.

Recusant

Post by Recusant » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Owondyah wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm
my dude....

I can't wait to come back in few months and throw this post in your face when this server gets 150 players peak mostly because it "fosters" something that breaks any community.

That being features which are not meant to exist in game, for valid reasons.
If horde and alliance should be able to understand each other, I'm pretty much sure that a capable company like blizzard would made it happen back when they launched the game.

Just don't try to invent the wheel all over again and try to be smarter than people whose product you are using.
If wheel was meant to be round, and inventor made it round, why the hell you try to make it square?

Just leave the chat as it is... for your own good.
The ominous histrionics are unnecessary, thank you.

It has been almost 15 years since the game released. Our perception of it has changed. Blizzard is not word of God, and vanilla WoW is not the holy scripture in which it was recorded.

I would say save it for the sake of irony, but I don't advise lingering on non-issues.

Owondyah

Post by Owondyah » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am

the prophet has spoken...

Let there be the X faction, so all nations and races of Azeroth can live in peace and prosperity.

In all seriousness, it's stupid. Period.

Have you VOTED today?

OWONDYAH armory link

Laizek

Post by Laizek » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I don't want united world chat (not really against it, I doesn't impact MY gamestyle) but I don't mind /say be cross-faction.
Owondyah wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am
the prophet has spoken...

Let there be the X faction, so all nations and races of Azeroth can live in peace and prosperity.

In all seriousness, it's stupid. Period.
You really need to chill a bit, man! You behave like server owners are going to kill you or burn your house down to the ground :)

Take it easy!

Ninten

Post by Ninten » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm

I don't want the ability to talk cross faction either but there is no need to be rude to prove a point. From a RP PoV I think it makes a lot more sense for a human to communicate with an orc through gestures and emotes. Unless ofcourse if you can implement a way to study and little by little learn a new language...
As this will have a big affect on the game-world and opinions seem to differ greatly, maybe we could vote on the matter to settle things? Unless the devs already feel strongly about it?

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Ninten wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm
I don't want the ability to talk cross faction either but there is no need to be rude to prove a point. From a RP PoV I think it makes a lot more sense for a human to communicate with an orc through gestures and emotes. Unless ofcourse if you can implement a way to study and little by little learn a new language...
As this will have a big affect on the game-world and opinions seem to differ greatly, maybe we could vote on the matter to settle things? Unless the devs already feel strongly about it?
Greetings!

We're silently gathering a feedback :)

Owondyah

Post by Owondyah » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 pm

i'm being rude... oh... Didn't notice really..

It's my default settings :) Sorry if I offended anyone lol

Have you VOTED today?

OWONDYAH armory link

Frostfang

Post by Frostfang » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:01 am

I think factionless World chat would get out of hand. Perhaps factionless /say would make more sense?

Gabrielesani

Post by Gabrielesani » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 am

I think that a channel for organizing trans-faction RP event would be useful. Other than that I don't think you should be able to understand what other races say in /s /y. Instead /w should be understandable. To be more clear: on the OOC channels, they should understand each other, in the IC channels no.
Fendor Coldmane, Aspirant Beastmaster

Recusant

Post by Recusant » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:02 pm

I think IC channels aren't at all unreasonable to let others communicate, considering languages can be... learned. Characters in game can understand each other, so I don't see the point in gating interactions to vague gestures.

Zargogo

Post by Zargogo » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:37 pm

Personally, as I was levelling my newbie Horde character, a level 60 Alliance came and started talking to me like it was completely normal. Total immersion killer for someone who wants to RP as a "character" in the "world" of warcraft. So, now I'm switching to another private server. Just some feedback for you guys

Valadorn

Post by Valadorn » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:57 pm

Zargogo wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:37 pm
Personally, as I was levelling my newbie Horde character, a level 60 Alliance came and started talking to me like it was completely normal. Total immersion killer for someone who wants to RP as a "character" in the "world" of warcraft. So, now I'm switching to another private server. Just some feedback for you guys
" how dare he talk to me " :P