Night Elf Mage [Race and Class Combination]

Petrafons

Night Elf Mage [Race and Class Combination]

Post by Petrafons » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:00 am

I know that Dwarf Mage was just added, but for the sake of Lore, i am hoping that you will add Night Elf Mage.

Why, you say? Because Night Elves have a proven lore of working with Arcane magic!

Night Elf Priests have Starshards, a channeled arcane spell.
Night Elf Hunters have Arcane Shot.

I know that adding one more race/class combo like this would probably need to be mirrored on horde, but I think this was a missed opportunity at least for Night Elves that I hope can be corrected.

Thanks for listening!

Redmagejoe

Re: Night Elf Mage [Race and Class Combination]

Post by Redmagejoe » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:24 am

Petrafons wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:00 am
I know that Dwarf Mage was just added, but for the sake of Lore, i am hoping that you will add Night Elf Mage.

Why, you say? Because Night Elves have a proven lore of working with Arcane magic!

Night Elf Priests have Starshards, a channeled arcane spell.
Night Elf Hunters have Arcane Shot.
I think you may be misunderstanding the game abstraction for hard and fast adherence to the lore. Star Shard, Moonfire, and Starfire are "arcane" element for game mechanics, but in lore they're not from arcana. They're the will of Elune, some alternate form of divine power that isn't The Light. As for Arcane Shot, no idea what the devs were going with on that. I wouldn't use the existence of these spells alone to suggest that they fit the lore. Lore =/= game mechanics.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure this suggestion has been shot down multiple times before as contradicting the lore of the game. There's even an entire quest chain related to the High Elves on Turtle built around the Night Elves' condemnation of the arcane, so at this point it wouldn't be able to be resolved with lore that exists within the game. I think you should probably assume that the team is not going to pursue this.

Petrafons

Post by Petrafons » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:40 am

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but it sound like you are confusing the Holy/Light issue. NE priests use power from Elune to heal, not from the Light. Not sure how this relates to Arcane at all, since Arcane is totally different.

Yes, I understand that mostly Night Elves have shunned Arcane magic, but not fully, hence why I think this would fit much more appropriately for the lore.

happy_turtle_head

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:00 am

What you're talking about, Petrafons, are the quel'dorei – or the "Highborne". Despite being an off-shoot of the kal'dorei, they were snobbish even by their standards and, oh yeah, they tried to summon the Burning Legion from within the Well of Eternity, essentially starting the War of the Ancients.

Most of the Highborne who that survived that war sank to the bottom of the sea with their Well of Eternity and became naga. Others corrupted into satyrs. All still serve Queen Azshara. So, yeah. You can probably understand why the Night Elves aren't real enthralled by the idea of arcane magicks or welcoming their lost brethren back into the fold.
I'm not that hard to find… if you know where to look.
-=( https://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
My Characters
Thoradd (Dwarf, Hunter)Kulah (Troll, Mage)Gizrondo (Gnome, Warlock)Amypedersen (Human, Warrior)
Alfabetix (bank alt) – Zzsleepyzz, Zzdrowsyzz (Temps.)

Petrafons

Post by Petrafons » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:55 pm

Jolikmc wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:00 am
What you're talking about, Petrafons, are the quel'dorei – or the "Highborne". Despite being an off-shoot of the kal'dorei, they were snobbish even by their standards and, oh yeah, they tried to summon the Burning Legion from within the Well of Eternity, essentially starting the War of the Ancients.

Most of the Highborne who that survived that war sank to the bottom of the sea with their Well of Eternity and became naga. Others corrupted into satyrs. All still serve Queen Azshara. So, yeah. You can probably understand why the Night Elves aren't real enthralled by the idea of arcane magicks or welcoming their lost brethren back into the fold.
That is a good way to think of it, thanks for sharing.