Gnome/Goblin healers

Aeggysilin

Gnome/Goblin healers

Post by Aeggysilin » Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm

Why can't we be a small guy healer man.

Gnomes and goblins are awesome but they're restricted to being anklebiters or midget tanks, we need Gnome/Goblin Priests/Shamans/Paladins, the fact that they mirrored goblin classes with gnomes would be fun if the one class they gave gnomanity wasn't goddamn hunters, and they can't even tame mechanical pets.

Philandros

Re: Gnome/Goblin healers

Post by Philandros » Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 pm

Because they are beings of science. The only faith they have is in their devices.

Aeggysilin

Post by Aeggysilin » Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 pm

Philandros wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 pm
Because they are beings of science. The only faith they have is in their devices.
Yet they can be mages or warlocks, both classes that do not use anything remotely mechanical and who's only requirement is the wisdom and/or sadism necessary to learn their respective parlor tricks. Priest is one of the easiest classes to adapt to most races, ESPECIALLY Alliance, are you telling me that not even a single group of gnomes turned to the light after losing their loved ones along with Gnomeregan? If dwarves can be mages with their stereotypical dislike of the arcane, and be relatively justified lorewise, I don't see the barrier for gnomes, them being a comedy relief race that can feel no grief or faith?

On the Horde side, Shaman is one of the easiest classes to just turn mechanical, everything about them looks weirdly static and uniform, and totems can even be full tech, though the modelling work necessary for that would be a bit more...taxing than Priest or Paladin

Though lore justifications aside, it's just weird that 2 entire races are completely banned from an entire role, especially when they're not even really good at one of the others.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 am

Well, in case of dwarves we have Mystery of Titans and runemasters (according to RPG) who are, indeed, users of arcane. So it's not right to say dwarves are alien to magic.

What is special about mages and warlock is that, in fact, their business is heavily inspired by science. All the formulas, curcles, rune language and star placing - all of it require knowledge. But priests, from the other side, operate with something different - faith. Faith and knowledge are polar opposites, you know. And rational and materialistical society of gnomes has little place to faith. In this traits goblins are similar to gnomes but they also are heavily oriented to profit. It makes them far more flexible in torelance to different types of beliefs but makes this tolerance very superficial. In other words, for goblins religion is insignificant as long as it doesn't harm business.

Aeggysilin

Post by Aeggysilin » Tue May 24, 2022 7:49 am

Galendor wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 am
Well, in case of dwarves we have Mystery of Titans and runemasters (according to RPG) who are, indeed, users of arcane. So it's not right to say dwarves are alien to magic.
My point about mentioning Dwarf mages in the first place was because their reasons for being able to be mages are relatively justified even though they're stereotyped as an arcane hating race, I never said they were lore unfriendly.

Also after posting the question I found out that there's medic gnomes in Gnomeregan that full on use priest spells, and not wrath but heal and power word fortitude, the precedent is clearly there.

Lemoinefu

Post by Lemoinefu » Tue May 24, 2022 11:59 am

My opinion is totally opposite : it is a non sense to let all the races get always closer and closer to each other in terms of accesible skills

I'd prefer by far that no race get the same class. And overall more classes should even be exclusive to only one side

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Tue May 24, 2022 4:07 pm

Philandros wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 pm
Yes, gnomes are analytical. And unlike the real world, holy magic is an observable phenomenon.

Aeggysilin

Post by Aeggysilin » Tue May 24, 2022 4:36 pm

Lemoinefu wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:59 am
My opinion is totally opposite : it is a non sense to let all the races get always closer and closer to each other in terms of accesible skills

I'd prefer by far that no race get the same class. And overall more classes should even be exclusive to only one side
...That seems to be another extreme, I mean I sort of agree, I would love the idea for there to be a lot of race specific classes, even if they're just variations of already existing ones, like say witch doctors/shadow hunters for Trolls instead of Shaman and the like. But even then...I would still find it beneficial if every race could actually cover every role.
Qixel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:07 pm
Yes, gnomes are analytical. And unlike the real world, holy magic is an observable phenomenon.
To be honest that's an easy enough justification for goblins to be priests, the simple faith that calling upon the holy light would give you massive moolah is probably enough for a few of them to actually get using the light lol.

Augustfenix85

Post by Augustfenix85 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:19 am

Goblin Paladins and Gnome Shamans would be wild.

But if anything they’d be better off making a custom class for them both. Either and alchemist/engineering type deal that they throw/shoot healing pots at party members. But of course it would be a bit close to the professions that do that sort of thing.
Duvall 60 Hunter
Velissa 35 Priest
Calmore 60 Shaman Tank
Malcore 45 Warlock
Splodax 28 Rogue
Ghostbc 40 Paladin
Hanami 60 Druid
Reidobosu 34 Warrior

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 am

Goblins probably have doctors, but they aren't Priests as in people of religion or the class in the game. Let's just settle at that.

Aeggysilin

Post by Aeggysilin » Wed May 25, 2022 10:57 pm

Allwynd01 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 am
Goblins probably have doctors, but they aren't Priests as in people of religion or the class in the game. Let's just settle at that.
The classes in game have always been vague gameplay limitations to encompass different actual roles in random azerothian society though, the biggest example are appropriately troll priests, while RP has no boundaries, I doubt they were designed as a light worshipping class/race combo out of nowhere, they're troll witch doctors or the like, they just don't have a unique class to reflect that, future expansions just brought that to the forefront.

I mean if undead can be any priests while most of them probably only use shadow and the ones that do use holy experience massive amounts of pain and sentience, I don't see the barrier here.

While I personally do believe an all new class for the tinkerer races would be most appropiate, I feel like the class changes already seem to be pushing the envelope on what TWoW is.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Fri May 27, 2022 4:38 am

Aeggysilin wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:57 pm
Allwynd01 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 am
The classes in game have always been vague gameplay limitations to encompass different actual roles in random azerothian society though, the biggest example are appropriately troll priests, while RP has no boundaries, I doubt they were designed as a light worshipping class/race combo out of nowhere, they're troll witch doctors or the like, they just don't have a unique class to reflect that, future expansions just brought that to the forefront.

I mean if undead can be any priests while most of them probably only use shadow and the ones that do use holy experience massive amounts of pain and sentience, I don't see the barrier here.

While I personally do believe an all new class for the tinkerer races would be most appropiate, I feel like the class changes already seem to be pushing the envelope on what TWoW is.
So … what stops you from rolling a rogue and roleplay as a physician? You don't need a new class for that since classes in game have always been vague gameplay limitations.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Aeggysilin

Post by Aeggysilin » Sun May 29, 2022 12:37 am

Sinrek wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:38 am
So … what stops you from rolling a rogue and roleplay as a physician? You don't need a new class for that since classes in game have always been vague gameplay limitations.
I-What? Has there been a misunderstanding here?

I don't want a healer class because of RP reasons, I want a healer class so it can heal, I think the distinction has been pretty clear.

Me saying classes are vague gameplay limitations is in response to the idea that since gnome/goblin "priests" in Gnomeregan and the like are more doctors than anything, they wouldn't be the "light worshipping priests", my response to which was the existence of Troll witch doctors.

Augustfenix85

Post by Augustfenix85 » Sun May 29, 2022 2:29 am

As of now the best a Goblin/Gnome can do to fill that healer role is professional items. Hand out healing pots, stun enemies and then bandage. Then use goblin jumper cables to resurrect. RP wise it might work, gameplay it’s very limited.
Duvall 60 Hunter
Velissa 35 Priest
Calmore 60 Shaman Tank
Malcore 45 Warlock
Splodax 28 Rogue
Ghostbc 40 Paladin
Hanami 60 Druid
Reidobosu 34 Warrior