Troll Druids

Kanto123

Troll Druids

Post by Kanto123 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:14 pm

Is there anything in the lore that explicitly contradicts this? If not, I think this race/class combo would be a good idea to expand the druid population for people that don't want to be tauren or night elf.

Geojak

Re: Troll Druids

Post by Geojak » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 pm

Agreed, this sounds fun

Afaslizo

Post by Afaslizo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:19 pm

Impossible with hardcoded vanilla restrictions of maximum of six classes for each race and Trolls already have six classes.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:20 am

Afaslizo wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:19 pm
Impossible with hardcoded vanilla restrictions of maximum of six classes for each race and Trolls already have six classes.
In what way is it hard coded? While it wouldn't be pretty, would there be a way of selecting a seventh class for a race that isn't done through the character selection screen? I work in software engineering, so I'm curious if there is atleast a janky way of accomplishing this

One way would be to add another race that is just an identical copy of the original race, and place the seventh, eight, ninth, etc class under that. The copy race on the character selection page could be called "Troll (continued)", and it's race name in game appears just as "Troll"

Zack32

Post by Zack32 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:12 am

If Trolls get more than six classes then Humans should too since it's the only reason they don't have Hunter.

And when it comes to lore, there's far more arguments when it comes to High Elf druids than Trolls as High Elf Druids were mentioned in Warcraft 2 to have made the Runestones. Trolls worship some Wild Gods as Loas but Druidism as a whole is more than just using a connection to them to shapeshift, the whole package came from the teachings of Cenarius which the Trolls do not have.

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 pm

Zack32 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:12 am
If Trolls get more than six classes then Humans should too since it's the only reason they don't have Hunter.

And when it comes to lore, there's far more arguments when it comes to High Elf druids than Trolls as High Elf Druids were mentioned in Warcraft 2 to have made the Runestones. Trolls worship some Wild Gods as Loas but Druidism as a whole is more than just using a connection to them to shapeshift, the whole package came from the teachings of Cenarius which the Trolls do not have.
I want to be a High Elf druid!

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 pm

If High Elf druids have precedence in the old warcraft lore then I'm okay with them being added in.

This whole only 6 classes per race thing seems a bit strange to me, because even if the interface is coded in a way that you can't have 7 or more classes appear on a race I'd imagine that there would still be a more circuitous way of accomplishing it even if it isn't pretty

Afaslizo

Post by Afaslizo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 am

Kanto123 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 pm
If High Elf druids have precedence in the old warcraft lore then I'm okay with them being added in.

This whole only 6 classes per race thing seems a bit strange to me, because even if the interface is coded in a way that you can't have 7 or more classes appear on a race I'd imagine that there would still be a more circuitous way of accomplishing it even if it isn't pretty
Okay, how about you do that and then contact the team with the working technical solution?

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:04 am

Afaslizo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 am
Kanto123 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 pm

Okay, how about you do that and then contact the team with the working technical solution?

What is the purpose of your passive aggressive comment?

Further, I already gave a suggestion of how this could be worked around in one of my above comments.

Afaslizo

Post by Afaslizo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:21 am

It was a friendly suggestion to get your idea along. I mean you already made clear that you have technical knowledge. Since this is quite the undertaking either financing it or doing it yourself would make it come realistically. Else why would the dev team implement ressources for it? Since you wrote that it was realistical to implement it you are for sure far more along than the devs on that.

Please do not read emotions like aggression into text. I quite assure you that neither wrath nor insult is my intent. I just want to help your wishes along but lack the knowledge you posess.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:54 am

I appreciate you clearing that up, I understand better now and see what you're saying

I'll probably think it through some more and ask the devs what the nature of the issue is to see if there is a workaround. One way or another there's got to be a way of getting a seventh class on a race even if it is just making a duplicate of the race and offering it on the character selection screen

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:22 am

Kanto123 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:54 am
I appreciate you clearing that up, I understand better now and see what you're saying

I'll probably think it through some more and ask the devs what the nature of the issue is to see if there is a workaround. One way or another there's got to be a way of getting a seventh class on a race even if it is just making a duplicate of the race and offering it on the character selection screen
Getting the source code would be a nice and the only workaround.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:22 am
Kanto123 wrote:

So there are limitations because you don't have access to the majority of the code that the game is run on, and I'm assuming this means only small changes can be made to the game which certainly sounds like it would be a frustrating experience

Why is that the only workaround though, I can see its possible to add new races because high elves and goblins are present, so why wouldn't the suggestion of duplicate races work?

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm

Kanto123 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 pm
Sinrek wrote:
Kanto123 wrote:

So there are limitations because you don't have access to the majority of the code that the game is run on, and I'm assuming this means only small changes can be made to the game which certainly sounds like it would be a frustrating experience

Why is that the only workaround though, I can see its possible to add new races because high elves and goblins are present, so why wouldn't the suggestion of duplicate races work?
Because we want consistency, not a clowntown fun all-in-one server.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:59 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm
Kanto123 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 pm
Sinrek wrote:

Because we want consistency, not a clowntown fun all-in-one server.
I feel a bit confused, all my suggestion would do is allow more than six classes per race; what those combinations would be would be up to you and the turtle team. It wouldn't need to be used for troll druid if that isn't appropriate to the lore, but there may be other combos that this would open up so I'm not sure how this would become a 'clowntown' server

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:25 pm

Ah, lore reasons bring no plausible room for trolls to become druids. That's just a way too distant idea for them. Shamanism - yes. Hunting - yes. Druidism - no.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:49 pm

I see, that makes sense. I did play Warcraft 3 way back in the day and didn't recall any specific mentions of Troll druids, so Blizzard must have introduced new ideas when they made them playable in the later expansions which wouldn't be applicable to us

What about High Elf Druids? One of the other commenters mentioned it and I'm curious if we would ever see that on this server

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 pm

High Elves are more of a botanist at best, never a druid. They prefer arcane and magic to grow their trees … used to at least.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 am

So after the split the created the high elf/ night elf divide, only the night elves practiced druidism and the high elves didn't carry any of it with them

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 pm

The split isn't necessary the reason why.
The Highborne which eventually became High Elves were already focus on the study of the Arcane rather than the savagery of Nature Magic, a druid and a night elf that is playable today would look like a peasant in their eyes.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 am

Gheor wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 pm
The split isn't necessary the reason why.
The Highborne which eventually became High Elves were already focus on the study of the Arcane rather than the savagery of Nature Magic, a druid and a night elf that is playable today would look like a peasant in their eyes.
Gotcha, the ancestors of the high elves had already set aside druidism before the split so the roots go farther back

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:14 pm

Torta said on the poll for Undead Hunters under the announcements section that Troll Warlocks were considered; what's the rationale for that combo? I thought of this myself a little while back but don't know enough lore to determine if it's justified

Zack32

Post by Zack32 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:39 pm

Kanto123 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:14 pm
Torta said on the poll for Undead Hunters under the announcements section that Troll Warlocks were considered; what's the rationale for that combo? I thought of this myself a little while back but don't know enough lore to determine if it's justified
Hexer. Trolls have a fascinating lore with many unique take on character classes, Witch-Doctors, Shadow Hunters and Hexers (and Loa/Voodoo Priests but those are basically the normal Priests). None of them are unfortunately playables but to a degree with Shaman (Restoration branch for Witch-Doctor or Shadow Hunter) or even Hunter (also Shadow Hunter). There's no Warlock Troll as we understand it in spite of Zalazane being called one once, he was a Witch-Doctor using Hex and Curses. The Affliction branch of the Warlock could allow to Roleplay a Hexer

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 pm

Zack32 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:39 pm
Kanto123 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:14 pm
Hexer. Trolls have a fascinating lore with many unique take on character classes, Witch-Doctors, Shadow Hunters and Hexers (and Loa/Voodoo Priests but those are basically the normal Priests). None of them are unfortunately playables but to a degree with Shaman (Restoration branch for Witch-Doctor or Shadow Hunter) or even Hunter (also Shadow Hunter). There's no Warlock Troll as we understand it in spite of Zalazane being called one once, he was a Witch-Doctor using Hex and Curses. The Affliction branch of the Warlock could allow to Roleplay a Hexer
Perhaps racial spells could be added for Warlocks, and the Troll Warlocks would get those hex and curse spells you're talking about to make them more lore friendly

Zack32

Post by Zack32 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:48 pm

Trolls do need a lot more of flavors, particularly with the trainers they already have. Something like the Priests talking about the Loas or something. Because, man, Troll lore is dope

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 pm

Zack32 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:48 pm
Trolls do need a lot more of flavors, particularly with the trainers they already have. Something like the Priests talking about the Loas or something. Because, man, Troll lore is dope
Agreed. I think Amani'Alor should be expanded and given a flight path to justify its existence; I already like it's aesthetic a great bit, in particular the music used there, and so if it was easier to access via wyverns and had shops and an auction house then more people would be incentivized to go there

A new dungeon could be placed nearby, making Amani'Alor the gathering location for a group before running in