Easy improvement of Priest spells-lore

Camanchaca

Easy improvement of Priest spells-lore

Post by Camanchaca » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:49 am

First, I whish everyone a happy new year, full of always greater adventures in this awesome server!

I had an idea i'd like to share with the team and the community. It's about a way to better reflect the differences in the cultures and religions of priests of different races. Currently all priests wield the light and shadow, which lorewise is more a human/dwarf/undead thing. This leaves troll and elf priests a bit awkard from the point of view of lore.

Changing the spells would be a huge work, akin to making a new class, so i guess this is out of the questions. Changing spell schools would also be a huge mess. So, why not just change the color of the spells depending on the priest race then? This could be used to reflect the priest "religion" without changing any mechanics. For example:

For Trolls:
Heals could be bright green or light blue, reflecting an spiritual healing through nature or water Loas.
Holy attack spells could be purple or velvet green, reflecting the use of different offensive voodoo loas.
Shadow spells could be dark purple or dark blood color, associating them with dark voodoo and blood magics (Hakkar i'm thinking of you!!)

For Night elves:
Heals could be green, healing throught the grace of Elune (nature spells)
Offensive holy spells could be bright silver, as arcane spells, reflecting the bright side of the moon
Shadow spells could be dark silver, reflecting the dark side of the moon

For High elves:
Heals could be a color between yellow and orange, healing using the light, but with the sun colors
Offensive holy spells could be of a very light yellow, almost white, as the sun in sunrise
Shadow spells could be of a dark orange, the color of sunset

Thank you all for reading, and what do you think? Do these colors make sense?

Zack32

Re: Easy improvement of Priest spells-lore

Post by Zack32 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:13 am

I disagree with High Elves, if anything them using Light is far more prevalent than the Dwarves who are more into Titans. Warcraft 3 had High Elf Priests and their lore was basically "they gave Quel'thalas' gov the middle finger and went to help their allies because it was the right thing."

As for Sun worship... They actually don't worship the Sun. It's just something they adopted as a symbol to distance themselves from the Night Elves but they never outright had Solar cults.

On the other hand, I agree that Priests need more customisation options, perhaps even with glyphs a la Druid forms and not just for the race mentioned. For example, if someone want to RP a Shadow Priest Forsaken, a glyph could be granted to have their healing spells look "shadowy" like Dark Mending. It would be just cosmetic. Same with some offensive spells for those who RP Light Cleric where the spells look more "Holy".

As for the options you listed (other than High Elves) I agree with them though I would have maybe the Night Elves spells looking more silvery instead of green.

Mikecrow

Post by Mikecrow » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:57 am

Lol if we're being lore accurate, undead and trolls should be locked out of holy entirely and everyone else locked out of shadow

/shrug,

Some concessions were made by the designers originally to make the class more cohesive and uniform, theres no need to change that when theres no real reason to. If you want some color swaps you can do it yourself to enjoy but id hate to force that on everyone.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:17 am

Mikecrow wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:57 am
Lol if we're being lore accurate, undead and trolls should be locked out of holy entirely and everyone else locked out of shadow

/shrug,

Some concessions were made by the designers originally to make the class more cohesive and uniform, theres no need to change that when theres no real reason to. If you want some color swaps you can do it yourself to enjoy but id hate to force that on everyone.

You hit the nail on the head in your first comment.

Zack32

Post by Zack32 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:54 am

Mikecrow wrote:

/shrug,

Wrong, because not only Holy Undead Priests are acknowledged to exist, we also know how the Light makes them feel.

As for the Trolls... Play Warcraft 3 and recruit a Troll Shadow Priest as a mercenary. Then compare them with a High Elf Priest.

Camanchaca

Post by Camanchaca » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:04 am

Mikecrow wrote:

/shrug,

Yeah, the idea of the proposal is exactly because of the need of this compromise. Since it is not possible to lock any school, and changing game mechanics is too risky and difficult, the idea is to reflect different race religions just using spell colors. Think of it as giving each priest race/religion a different "flavour".

So all priests would remain the same, except for their class racial spells of course, which are included specifically for flavour reasons, contradicting part of your argument.

I also like the ideas of high elf spell colors and the possibility of using a glyph proposed by Zack32. Like, making a glyph for each wow religion? In this way it may not be imposed on everyone, and it could be used to get some donations from RPs.

Mikecrow

Post by Mikecrow » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 pm

Yeah, i dont think anyone would mind if glyphs were made to change spell particles, that sounds like a good idea. I dont think it should be baseline though, classes should have some kind of solidarity.