Reasons people come to private servers

Overtyped

Reasons people come to private servers

Post by Overtyped » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 am

What reasons do most people come to private servers, I mean, I play on classic live still, yet here I am, why is that? And I think I know why after thinking for a while. The answer at least for me is the lack of care, but I think in many peoples cases they are distrustful of them, they might not deeply consider what a private server has that live does not.

In my case, retails version of vanilla isn't the game I played all those years ago, it is Activision's vanilla, and they aren't catering to me, they are catering to their shareholders, which means bots run rampant, and there are no plans for new content. They just want to milk the game for as much as possible, while putting in as little effort as possible.

So coming to the point, when people click on turtle wow, they first read this:
(((Greetings! We are Turtle WoW, a RP/PVE Vanilla WoW server. We do our best to provide a unique WoW experience to those players who love questing, community, and everything to do with PvE. We want this to be a stress free, rush free, fun, and cozy place to play the game we all love! Our goal is to maintain a long lasting, friendly community, which will stay together for several years.)))

These are good points, but, live classic servers also have good communities, they also have casual guilds to just have fun in, you can offer those, but that is not something that can't be found on live classic servers.

But there might be a missed opportunity here, what does Turtle Wow have that Blizzard can't give you?
Well, you don't have a botting or gold seller problem, these are two enormous reasons people quit.
There's also the fact that Blizzard is a billion-dollar company but they are too greedy to create new vanilla content, but you are able to, these are your strongest points, and people who click here might not see that.

My suggestion is small, and it's this; if your slogan were about points like these, then, those browsing onlookers, the very same ones who might have clicked away, might have been given more pause to think.
With a few powerful reasons at the forefront of their minds, they might have been given some additional pause to consider your strengths, as I did.

Vasyan

Re: Reasons people come to private servers

Post by Vasyan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:23 am

its free

Valadorn

Post by Valadorn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:03 am

Why pay for an Inferior experience when you can have the superior one for free ?

Afaslizo

Post by Afaslizo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:46 am

No idea what you are talking about? The experience is certainly not for free. It is just that you don't pay for it even though it still needs money and work to be maintained. While my personal contribution is of yet not that much better I play mostly for passion.

I quit retail because I gained finally what my character needed for years: Alar's Ashes. In retrospect I only played him that long because of that(and quit playing other characters a long time ago). Aside from half-heartingly logging into my main because I loved him anyway I mostly was drawn back to the best iteration of the game in my mind which was Burning Crusade. I honestly hated vanilla back in the day. The problem with memory and nostalgies is that recreation will allways remain a dull copy.

I am a creator at heart (maintaining my own forum roleplay server) so I like people who like to create with sensibility and restraint which is what led me to Turtle even though it centers around an iteration of WoW I like the least (I even liked Warlords better back in the day because I got a raid guild and the raids were great). Now I am not even tempted to reinstall retail even though I still love my character there and I rarely log onto my accounts on BC and Wrath servers (and I only play Wrath for the DK Blood Dps experience which was cut short after that expansion that I hate apart from that because I hated Arthas and his whining and stupid edgyness even back in Warcraft 3).

So good job TurtleWoW.

Lukkas462

Post by Lukkas462 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 am

bruh
Long live the Turtle

Daelir The Lone Blade
Aszura Fairhand

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:18 am

Overtyped wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 am
My suggestion is small, and it's this; if your slogan were about points like these, then, those browsing onlookers, the very same ones who might have clicked away, might have been given more pause to think.
With a few powerful reasons at the forefront of their minds, they might have been given some additional pause to consider your strengths, as I did.
Can you give any examples? How do you see it?
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Overtyped

Post by Overtyped » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:52 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:18 am
Overtyped wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 am
Can you give any examples? How do you see it?
It would be inappropriate of me to say, because I have not been here long, but if I were pressed...

"Greetings traveler! Turtle Wow is a Unique PVE focused community brought together by our love of old vanilla Wow, the real vanilla Wow! If you have grown weary of bots, gold sellers, stagnant updates, automated GM support, along with an empty world brought on by boosters, then you will find a good cozy home here along with like-minded friends!"

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:37 pm

That's a literal offense to Blizzard, we don't want to antagonize them but wish to continue the work of old Devs.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Overtyped

Post by Overtyped » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:48 pm

Gheor wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:37 pm
That's a literal offense to Blizzard, we don't want to antagonize them but wish to continue the work of old Devs.
To be fair, it would be hard to beat the first offense. Private servers existing is the same as saying what Activision currently produces is not good enough. Nostalrius literally bent over backward licking blizzards toes, and blizzard shut them down all the same.

In Activision's eyes, a private server's very existence is already the greatest possible provocation, and other words sprinkled on top are meaningless.

There are always other ways to go about it though, for example, instead of pointing at blizzard faults, adding a simple sentence like this can also get the job done," We take botting and gold-selling very seriously and will not tolerate the existence of even one"

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:57 am

This is true, Overtyped. But there is this factor:

The devs are the ones who have to face any resistance, not us. They are still the responsible party, and I hear a desire to honor the work that was originally attempted and envisioned.

But that's me.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:59 am

I do believe it is possible, however, to be more specific about what makes TWoW great. Positive statements with specificity to them, vs more vague statements like 'community-oriented'. Everyone says that stuff. Say what IS, not what we value (what devs desire). What IS because we value it and it is now manifest. Then talk about goals and so on. Move away from vaguery and toward specificity.

Use DO, not DON'T statements. "We do have this, we do cherish this"