Night elf priest racials

Ayesha

Night elf priest racials

Post by Ayesha » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi!

To me alliance priest racials seem imbalanced for high level healing.

Human - increased spirit.
Dwarf - fear ward.
High elf - mana restore.

Night elf - 10% reduce of ranged damage + star shards I would never use in raids or dungeons.

I choose night elves for their aesthetic, but I don’t like that I have to sacrifice any practical benefits. Especially that of increased spirit or fear ward.

I liked playing as a NE priest in WOTLK because I could shadowmeld out of combat. And it was a practical benefit that I actually used.

I would love to see improved shadowmeld or other change that would make night elf priests more powerful and desirable. Now it’s a purely cosmetic choice, as far as I can see it.
Do I want to look like a pretty night elf or do I want to have any practical things I can use? I wish there were no such dilemma for a healer such as myself.

Warmane

Re: Night elf priest racials

Post by Warmane » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:56 pm

yes, welcome to vanilla where everything is imbalanced and people love it.
Or meybe should i say everthing is not just balanced around rading. Vanilla classes are balanced in a way that takes in account at the same time pve pvp, leveling and class flavour.
but dont worry, 1.16 is balancing everything around raiding, so im prettry sure sooner or later that racial will be B A L A N C E D

Ayesha

Post by Ayesha » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:13 pm

I will be happy to see it:)
If not I still will be playing night elf and vibing in darnassus. Would love to see more balance tho.

Rafale

Post by Rafale » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 am

Warmane wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:56 pm
yes, welcome to vanilla where everything is imbalanced and people love it.
Or meybe should i say everthing is not just balanced around rading. Vanilla classes are balanced in a way that takes in account at the same time pve pvp, leveling and class flavour.
but dont worry, 1.16 is balancing everything around raiding, so im prettry sure sooner or later that racial will be B A L A N C E D
People don't like Vanilla for imbalance. People like Vanilla cause of the strong identity and diversity of specs/class, as "not everyone does everything". People has never liked Grace of Elune for example.
I always follow those rules for suggestion :
1) Does it answer the class/spec problem ?
2) Does it keep the class identity ?
3) Does it keep the vanilla gameplay of the class/spec ?
4) Is it balanced (not OP) ?

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am

This might sound a bit weird however OG Blizz designed these racials with Lore and history in mind, so Night Elf priests (priestesses) mostly were meant to be battle priests so to speak.

Tyrande is like a hard carbon image of such an example. Priestess. Warrior. Hunter. RPG aspects at least.

So NE priests got some pretty nice racial if you think about the damage mitigation and healing despite all the interruptions right in the heat of a battle. Selfless and fierce they jump into the fray to heal allies and kill their foes. Suits them well to be blessed by Elune and dodge some stray arrows, dodge melee hits and keep their allies intact during a hot battle.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Ayesha

Post by Ayesha » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:23 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am
This might sound a bit weird however OG Blizz designed these racials with Lore and history in mind, so Night Elf priests (priestesses) mostly were meant to be battle priests so to speak.

Tyrande is like a hard carbon image of such an example. Priestess. Warrior. Hunter. RPG aspects at least.

So NE priests got some pretty nice racial if you think about the damage mitigation and healing despite all the interruptions right in the heat of a battle. Selfless and fierce they jump into the fray to heal allies and kill their foes. Suits them well to be blessed by Elune and dodge some stray arrows, dodge melee hits and keep their allies intact during a hot battle.
Shadowmeld out of combat seems very on point with the lore and racial identity of night elves.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:47 pm

Ayesha wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:23 pm
Sinrek wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am

Shadowmeld out of combat seems very on point with the lore and racial identity of night elves.
Don't you think that using Shadowmeld in combat wouldn't be very much balanced for PvE or PvP?

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:56 pm

I'd love to see stronger race flavor in all classes, I hated that they removed the priest racials after vanilla for the sake of balance, and how all shadow priests regardless of race became lovecraftian insane old god cultists... I think even in vanilla classes and their specs are way too standardized compared to warcraft 3.

The shadow priest, for example, when it comes to the Forsaken there is very detailed lore regardimg shadow ascendancy and it differs a lot from for example Troll shadow priests that are supposed to be doing voodoo and loa worship, or the night elves that, even though it isn't developed, I assume venerate the darkness for being a nocturnal race, or could be an offensive version of elune worship/witholding heror blessing, or giving in to negative feelings like the w3 wardens to vengeance. Human and in association dwarven shadow priests would study and wield shadow magic from the same source as the Forsaken but the Forsaken go further and blend with it (https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_ascendant). There is a lot of lore that would provide ideas for classes and their specs having heavier race flavors that make sense. The new patch will introduce some great shaman racials, I'd love to see more development in that direction, I find it to be very in line with the vanilla wow/warcraft 3 mentality, opposed to race/class standardization of post-vanilla wow.
Last edited by Mativh on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:40 pm

Mativh wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:56 pm
I'd love to see stronger race flavor in all classes…

I'd love to see more development in that direction…
All in due time.