New taxi node suggestions/argument against WH/Plane removal

Zangatsu

New taxi node suggestions/argument against WH/Plane removal

Post by Zangatsu » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:22 pm

I've made my opinion clear in-game and on discord several times, but I might as well solidify it with a post here. My main purpose of this is to point out the current bias to the new travel changes. With the information currently released, and I know there's likely more travel paths in store that haven't been announced yet, Alliance receives two completely useless new flight paths and one minor-time saving boat, while Horde receives a fast travel between capital cities, and two taxis that have historically been long travels/dark spots in the middle of Eastern Kingdoms.

Alliance gets to travel to 1)Ironforge Airfield. This is not very useful because it's literally just outside Ironforge, it's like a second flight to IF, and 2) The new town Dun Agarth. Which is something like 500yds away from the existing Menethil Harbor. 3) A boat to Auberdine. That's good, but there's already a boat from Menethil Harbor, so this one is kind of redundant and just saves a gryphon ride. I've heard the argument that this one is to help new Night Elf players reach Stormwind faster, but I don't think new content should be added for a purpose as trivial as that. Horde gets fast travels from right outside Orgrimmar to Kargath, a place that's always been a long arduous travel for them to get to Blackrock Mountain content, and again, after a very short run to their new Durotar port, they get a boat to the heart of Eastern Kingdoms, Hinterlands.

Now, I'm not saying that these Horde additions are bad. They're very good, I'm all for the removal of AFK time on gryphons/running simulator. But giving Alliance those two flight paths to Dun Morogh/Wetlands is just either poorly thought out or shows that the team has the mindset of 'Alliance already has easy travel, they don't need more.' If we're doing new boats, GIVE ALLIANCE A BOAT TO STEEMWHEEDLE PORT. This would be a very fair compromise for the removal of the plane to Shimmering Flats, would be very useful for reaching Ahn'Qiraj, a raid that's got a notorious travel time, and for levelers, the power of this boat would be on par with the one to Revantusk Village. That simple boat addition would make the new fast travels equal on both sides.

Now I might as well lay out the argument against removing wormholes and planes. The staff seems to think that with the growing server, it's necessary to remove casual/blizzlike content. Some of them seem to think that traveling is an increase in immersion, making the game better. And I'm sure these thoughts come in part due to the vast new world that's being released. During the leveling phase, even with these planes and WH, there is still ample room for exploring. During leveling, there is absolutely no lack in exploring the world that the WH/Planes take away from. The planes don't even come into play until level 35~(Shimmering Flats) and the other one until level 50(EPL). These are very useful conveniences to have when planning out your questing/leveling path, during a part of the game that is notoriously frustrating for making the player travel to and fro, back and forth across the world and to different zones. Of course, this type of quest design is something that makes classic wow a good RPG. It's one of those things that makes the game great. If you know the quests well, and you make good choices, these all-across-the-world quests can be done in an efficient and fun manner. Regardless of that, having extra travel options such as the plane to reach southern Kalimdor, you hearthstone set to a questing location while the wormhole gets you back to the city, are good changes. Getting on a gryphon and alt tabbing while you wait, is not immersive or fun. Running through a zone you've already been to, to get back to a zone you were previously questing in, isn't immersive. Having Astral Recall in the base game already is an argument in favor of keeping WHs. Two of the classes already gets increased travel utility. Does this make the game less immersive for them? Not at all. The planes also offer utility to raiders to get to AQ/Naxx, shaving time off an already extremely time consuming activity.

I'll postface this by saying that I'm not at all trying to be ungrateful to the turtle wow staff, this entire server is an amazing project being done out of passion by an unpaid staff. Thank you all very much for the new content, I spent so much of my time on turtle wow and consider it my wow-home for good. I just wanted to offer my input on how the game is played.

Meepingmeeps

Re: New taxi node suggestions/argument against WH/Plane removal

Post by Meepingmeeps » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:03 pm

Agreed. Hopefully the Turtle WoW team gives the Alliance some new travel options to Kalimdor besides the Menethil harbor and a mage portal.

Merikkinon

Re: New taxi node suggestions/argument against WH/Plane removal

Post by Merikkinon » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:17 am

I think you make a good point about the Alliance paths being - my word - flaccid. Horde are fine. Understandable.

I just think, keep the Alliance plane in. It is a unique travel form and kinda cool, and unique to Alliance.

Go for differentiation, and make changes for both that are substantial. I agree with Zangastru in his points on the Alliance/Horde travel route changes.