If you're in any way involved into PvP, you have likely noticed that the community has been somewhat keen to debate, even more so since the latest changes to the Vanilla battlegrounds.
To help make the situation more constructive and help the staff keep track of what ideas have been brought to the table, I'll attempt to collect, summarize and categorize any ideas on how to improve the PvP experience on Turtle.
New or missing ideas can be posted in this thread. I'll try to add them to the list. When doing so, please note: This thread is for concrete ideas. E.g., instead of saying "prevent AFKing" or "make honor system more bearable", give detailed ideas on how that could be achieved.
General PvP experience
- Increase Team size requirements. Battlegrounds should be more than duels or blood ring fights, but requirements should still account for the size of the PvP community. WSG should be 3v3 or 4v4. AB should be 5v5. AV should be 10v10.
- Blood Ring should be queueable along with all other battlegrounds. Currently, you cannot queue blood ring when already in another queue.
- To decrease queue hopping, cancel all other queues when joining any battleground.
- Make battlegrounds cross-faction to reduce frustration if one faction somehow outweighs the other. This could potentially also reduce toxicity among players because everyone is also a potential teammate.
- Incentivize PvP during leveling by increasing the XP rewards (e.g. for mark turn-ins). Make PvP a more viable way to gain experience.
- Introduce gear/stat scaling in battlegrounds to reduce twinking. Alternatively, introduce battleground-exclusive gear.
- Create World PvP events, quests or generally incentivize world PvP. Vanilla world PvP locations could also get revised to give more incentive to participate.
- Remove or decrease rank decay to make the system more casual-friendly and less punishing regarding voluntary or unvoluntary breaks. When wanting to stay close to the Vanilla experience, decreasing decay from 20% to 15% and increase the RP requirements per rank (e.g. 5000 -> 10000) could go a long way. Alternatively, rank decay could be removed completely, which would require much larger and more careful adjustments to the RP requirements.
- Replace the honor system by the TBC PvP progression system.
- Allow purchase of PvP gear in exchange of the existing battleground marks. Stack sized should then be increased (currently, it's 20 per character and mark). Players could then also decide whether they want to use their marks for gear or reputation. An example on how this could look like can be found here (thanks, Skady!).
- Introduce a glyph that prevents honor gain/rank decay to allow taking a break and allow players that do not want to participate in ranking competition (e.g. because they have completed ranking progression) to play without hurting other players' progress. A glyph that, when worn during honor calculation, prevents a character from being included in the ranking calculations at all could work well enough.
- Make pure reputation turn-ins a more viable alternative to mixed-honor-rep turn-ins by decreasing the required number of marks or increasing the reputation reward. Calculation & example here.
- Alterac Valley content is often bugged. Elemental lords can bug and not move to the enemy base. Riders can also bug and not move. AV content should get thoroughly fixed.
- Some sort of scaling (NPC health/attack) similar to what has been implemented in raids could help when AV team sized get below 10 each. Alternatively, removing unit upgrades can also prevent games from stalling.
- New cross-faction battlegrounds, potentially with model swapping or completely different themes (e.g. Scarlet Crusade against Scourge).
- Fix Arathi reputation gain: Reputation should trickle depending on the number of captured flags.