Niche for thrown weapons

Smersh

Niche for thrown weapons

Post by Smersh » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:11 am

Hello, Smersh talking.
Vanilla design has many problems as we all know, but the thing I personally dislike the most is how pathetic some choices the game gives you are, fast 2-handers have quite literally no advantage as an example. I want each of those useless choices to have at least some advantages over their competitors and not just be completely outclassed. But I'll start one step at a time. Thrown weapons, they are so bad that it's hard to even come up with a reason why would anyone ever use them.
The only thing that comes to my mind is how much easier it is logically to throw a dagger than to draw an arrow and shoot. They are supposed to be fast and versatile. Useful for situations when you are at a distance and want to do anything. And it's somewhat reflected on how much faster generally those weapons are compared to bows or guns, but it isn't nearly enough to make any difference. Weapon speed is a mess of its own to be honest, but back to the topic. I suggest these changes to make them viable options for some scenarios:
  • Make them be used instantly. Whenever a spell is instant like let's say frost nova, you can use it while moving and that opens up a lot of possibilities. You don't make them overpowered by that because gcd is still there, so this change just makes all thrown weapon have a 1.5 second cd which isn't too far from their thrown speed anyway. There are a couple of scenarios when you can't just stop and cast for a few seconds, which would be a perfect niche for thrown, in my opinion.
  • Make thrown weapons be more elemental damage based. Now we do have wands which are pretty cool and all, the intention of this change is to make them bypass armor. Alternatively, just making any thrown weapon have 100% armor penetration works just as well
    That would make them even more specialized for both pvp and pve. There are scenarios when the boss has a lot of armor, which would make thrown that completely bypasses said armor and let's say bow affected by it one step closer to each other.
  • Make more high level thrown weapons. If two previous changes are in place, that would make thrown a decent option to get for some specific scenarios that a player wants to use them for. But that said, player will be disappointed to know there are basically no high-level options of thrown weapons. At some point, blizzard might have realized that thrown is absolutely useless and stopped making any variations of it. There should be multiple high-level options of getting good thrown aside from warmaster Woon farm because it has a nature of ending very quickly. It could be dropping from some elites or high-level enemies, be reward in a repeatable quest or something of that nature.

Btw. Objectively best currently existing thrown weapon is dusksteal throwing dagger. And even if we overlook how hard it is to get vs how weak it is. You as a reward get only 1. It's laughable. 1 Throw for 5 junkboxes that are not something you have a lot of. Chance of getting a Teebu's out of that junkbox is ~1%. Maybe a little less. So if you need 5 boxes per throwing dagger(You also need to grind their rep as a rogue only beforehand, which also is pretty annoying), you will on average get 1 Teebu's or Alcor's sunrazor(they share the %) per 20 throwing daggers. Which are used up just almost immediately. Imagine if a hunter had to go through that to get the best quality arrows available instead of just buying some from the vendor. That repeatable quest should award at least 100 daggers each turn in. And we aren't even talking about how underwhelming those throwing daggers are.

• This one is probably impossible to do, but aside from said changes, it would really be great if you could regain thrown weapon somehow. The only way I can think of is how they did it in tbc with durability based system, but if I was to ask something personal I would really want a raiding tier thrown weapon that can create copies of itself in your inventory. Maybe this effect being incorporated more than just one time, because even though it does sound like something that nobody cares about but in the end of the day variety is the key in a game that calls itself rpg.

I don't know how hard those changes are to be made from the developer standpoint, but I tried to make it as easily doable as I think it can be. And even if you think options I provided are pretty underwhelming or that thrown shouldn't be worked on because nobody cares about it, I personally would say that those changes would make it much, much better than it is already at least and if on your way in this magical world you would get one more possible option, even if just for specific scenarios, the game would be better than it was beforehand. Oh also, add some rewards for Ravenholdt rep already ffs maintenance_turtle . Ok bye.
Last edited by Smersh on Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:02 am, edited 11 times in total.

Smersh

Re: Niche for thrown weapons

Post by Smersh » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:40 am

Ok, but nobody cares about thrown weapons...

Pahacsinta

Post by Pahacsinta » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:18 am

+

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 am

TLDR. Wall of text crits too much.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Proudwell

Post by Proudwell » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:54 pm

Troll axe thrower spec. Let's do it.

Yutilk

Post by Yutilk » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:35 am

Unfortunately, Thrown spec or "Throgue" doesn't get much love until Wotlk, in Wotlk rogues get "Honor Among Thieves" which slightly legitimises the spec.

In Original WoW pservers the only time Thrown spec was consider is if Dusksteel scaled with +Spell Damage. They could simply allow it to scale in here.