New Woodcrafting profession / expanded Survival skill

Arcticwinds

New Woodcrafting profession / expanded Survival skill

Post by Arcticwinds » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:39 am

Hello, guys,

This is the first time I'm posting here. I stumbled onto this server by chance on youtube and I love it. High elves for the Alliance has been a dream since 2004. I have also greatly enjoyed all of the new content - quests, items, storyline, etc. Vanilla-plus is the way to go indeed. happy_turtle_head

In this regard I have an idea for a new Woodcrafting profession or an expanded version of the current Survival one.

Woodcrafters would be able to create,

- wands and staffs,
- crossbows, bows and arrows (esp. for the hunters that don't like guns, as myself)
- polearms
- idols, totems, librams and trinkets,
- storage crates (like Tailoring bags, but for the gathering skills)
- progressing tiers of campfires up to bonfire (with increased light-range and spirit buff, stronger torches too?),
- the tents and boat form the Survival skill would tie in nicely as well,
- as far as player utility, you could have a kite (for gliding, like the slowfall spell), dreamcatchers that give a small buff after a set amount of sleep (with an increased effect depending on whether you sleep in a bed/tent/the ground) or they could be on-use items, different sails that would increase the speed of the boat,etc.

All of this would fill in crafting roles that are currently void, and be a lot of fun, imo. But Azeroth has no collectable tree nodes, you would say. True, however there are lumbercamps with luberjack/peons all over the world. So the basis for the profession exists. In this regard, you could have Woodcrafting vendors in the Capitals, some major cities and said lumbercamps, that would exchange progressing tiers of wood for leather/ore. The profession would use leather, ore, bolts of cloth for some of the items, so you would naturally pair it with mining or skinning. As far as tools, you could have a Woodcarver's knife (renamed skinning knife), perhaps a screwdriver (that you would get from an Engi. player), etc. Also, you could implement the bones/scales/webs that are looted off of beasts as reagents, which would give meaning to these otherwise useless items.

- As a sidenote, you could give more oils (even ammo ones), esp. for the higher levels, to Alchemy. They are currently underdeveloped/underused, but have great potential and offer variety in-game.

P.S. I have no experience in modding or coding, so I can't be of help in that regard. However, I can provide ideas, names, stats, text, etc. for the items and would be willing to help test them and assist the developers.

God spede to the Turtle WoW Team!

Mythox

Re: New Woodcrafting profession / expanded Survival skill

Post by Mythox » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:50 am

This sounds great!!!! would like to make bows arrows etc rather than have to turn in throium shells for arrows , be cool makin decent bows akin to engineering and guns as you level. Looks like it would be a great utility profession open to hunters casters .
Ish-ne-alo por-ah!

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:39 pm

Not bad, apart from trinkets, librams, totem thing. Overkill
That's hell lot of work.

Paw

Post by Paw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:21 am

Arcticwinds wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:39 am
Hello, guys,

This is the first time I'm posting here. I stumbled onto this server by chance on youtube and I love it. High elves for the Alliance has been a dream since 2004. I have also greatly enjoyed all of the new content - quests, items, storyline, etc. Vanilla-plus is the way to go indeed. happy_turtle_head

In this regard I have an idea for a new Woodcrafting profession or an expanded version of the current Survival one.

Woodcrafters would be able to create,

- wands and staffs,
- crossbows, bows and arrows (esp. for the hunters that don't like guns, as myself)
- polearms
- idols, totems, librams and trinkets,
- storage crates (like Tailoring bags, but for the gathering skills)
- progressing tiers of campfires up to bonfire (with increased light-range and spirit buff, stronger torches too?),
- the tents and boat form the Survival skill would tie in nicely as well,
- as far as player utility, you could have a kite (for gliding, like the slowfall spell), dreamcatchers that give a small buff after a set amount of sleep (with an increased effect depending on whether you sleep in a bed/tent/the ground) or they could be on-use items, different sails that would increase the speed of the boat,etc.

All of this would fill in crafting roles that are currently void, and be a lot of fun, imo. But Azeroth has no collectable tree nodes, you would say. True, however there are lumbercamps with luberjack/peons all over the world. So the basis for the profession exists. In this regard, you could have Woodcrafting vendors in the Capitals, some major cities and said lumbercamps, that would exchange progressing tiers of wood for leather/ore. The profession would use leather, ore, bolts of cloth for some of the items, so you would naturally pair it with mining or skinning. As far as tools, you could have a Woodcarver's knife (renamed skinning knife), perhaps a screwdriver (that you would get from an Engi. player), etc. Also, you could implement the bones/scales/webs that are looted off of beasts as reagents, which would give meaning to these otherwise useless items.

- As a sidenote, you could give more oils (even ammo ones), esp. for the higher levels, to Alchemy. They are currently underdeveloped/underused, but have great potential and offer variety in-game.

P.S. I have no experience in modding or coding, so I can't be of help in that regard. However, I can provide ideas, names, stats, text, etc. for the items and would be willing to help test them and assist the developers.

God spede to the Turtle WoW Team!
Why did I overlook your post? It's awesome.

Nerasw

Post by Nerasw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:46 pm

Librams should be made by inscriptors

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 am

I want to woodcut stools and sit on them.
Main: Whitemare

Arcticwinds

Post by Arcticwinds » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:00 am

Unangwata wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:39 pm
Not bad, apart from trinkets, librams, totem thing. Overkill
That's hell lot of work.
Indeed, it is a lot of work, but it doesn't need to be done in one go. I tried to think of as many suitable categories that I could. All of them don't have to be implemented. Besides, they could add a few items (or a new tier - Basic, Journeyman, Expert, Artisan) to the profession every now and then. People won't mind. As of now Survival goes up to 150 only, has just a few recipes and relies of spamming campfire to level it. Just adding a full-fledged 0-75 crafting tier would be a massive improvement.

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:58 am

Scratch raw ores, use metal ingots
Add shields (made of wood, leather and metal) and off-hands (wood and gems)
Maybe shieldwalls: an object to be put on the field (like target dummies, or TWoW's Christmas tree) that breaks LOS, more levels for more lasting time
With alchemical oils, make incendiary ammo (convert some white dmg to fire dmg), or modify existing engineering scopes to add fire damage (other elementary damage types seem to be very unrealistic, at least for a woodcrafter)

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:08 am

JFYI some woodcrafting
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Projecx

Post by Projecx » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:42 pm

I'm a huge proponent of a new profession of woodworking. We were talking about this in the "craft-able Bows" thread.

I would love to see this game's Survival craft feature to continue to develop. I think woodworking and some form of lumber jack to supplement it along with other professions.

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:59 pm

All rp and quality if Life items like parachutes are a +1000 for me
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer