Making Other Pet Types Viable

Tytarjunior

Re: Making Other Pet Types Viable

Post by Tytarjunior » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:09 am

Lahire wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:31 am
Fizzeek wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:56 am
Owls are pretty awesome. Screech's AP reduction is great in pve.
Yeah during my Naxx runs, hunters had owls. One said that it was the best since AQ, but I don't know why.

According to the video, Raptors are close to cats in dps. So it makes 3 types of pet tied for optimal in raid.
Remember that viable and optimal are 2 very different things. Viable means : you can bring it in raid and it won't make the raid lose encounters (or too much time). It is probable that all pets are viable (you won't lose a raid or even time because hunters have chosen the "wrong" pets).
If there are really 3 pets optimal (cats, owls, raptors), and all other are worse but viable, I think it is pretty much a nice balance.

Most of the choices are viable in vanilla, because the game is really easy. Even ret paladin and moonkin are viable if played correctly in all raids. They are not optimal, but they are viable (you won't wipe because you have a ret paladin). Same for pets init?

All raids can be done without sweat with 39 players, so it means there is big leeway for player choice (you can have non-optimal choices up to losing 1 or 2 player equivalent without losing significant time).

This said, a buff to turtle pets would be thematic and fun.
One thing I'd like to say to this..on many servers (although I doubt turtlewow because the community is so helpful) you'll get laughed out of a raid or dungeon if you roll a dumb pet. If I show up to MC or BlackTemple (TBC) with a crab or crocolisk, I will promptly be removed and mocked regardless of my skillset. Which, I have to agree with because those pets are terrible.

Yea you won't wipe necessarily, but everyone knows it's pretty bad.

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:10 am

That's not a game problem, that's a toxic community problem.
The game doesn't force people to be jackasses to each others. Official english servers were very toxic ; it's less the case on some other official servers (french pve was cozy, french pvp servers had 1 very toxic and 1 welcomy).
I don't think it is wise to balance the game according to toxic people attitudes.
Alt: Whitemare

Tytarjunior

Post by Tytarjunior » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:50 pm

Lahire wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:10 am
The game doesn't force people to be jackasses to each others. Official english servers were very toxic ; it's less the case on some other official servers (french pve was cozy, french pvp servers had 1 very toxic and 1 welcomy).
I don't think it is wise to balance the game according to toxic people attitudes.
And I agree. I know those communities were most definitely toxic. My point is, I wouldn't have been laughed off the raid had I rolled a cat. Regardless of their toxicity or not, it is undoubtedly better to roll cat, raptor, ravager (tbc). I just want the other pet types to be able to hang with the top ones in any dungeon or raid (but do so in their own unique way). Doesn't need to be DPS.

Crazyhelix

Post by Crazyhelix » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 am

Lahire wrote:
Sure toxic. You are playing all together to getting Rare raid Items. All of You preparing wasting time for this and somebody do obvious bad action (like Retripal gaming, croc pet choosing etc). As result it's a wipe. You lost your time and your mood going dawn. And why? Cause u r toxic? No! cause some guys got wrong choose that wiped u all.
People will be allways toxic - it's a part of our social patterns, BUT game shouldnt give so much occasion for being toxic. Wide gameplay diversity it's a way to give people another possibilities and game realization. When u could take Moonking with same effectivity and wouldnt raid kicked - who ll get worse?

Better Gamebalance making less occasions to be toxic in 100% of cases in 100% of games to 100% of people.

Tytarjunior

Post by Tytarjunior » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:50 am

Crazyhelix wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 am
Lahire wrote:
Sure toxic. You are playing all together to getting Rare raid Items. All of You preparing wasting time for this and somebody do obvious bad action (like Retripal gaming, croc pet choosing etc). As result it's a wipe. You lost your time and your mood going dawn. And why? Cause u r toxic? No! cause some guys got wrong choose that wiped u all.
People will be allways toxic - it's a part of our social patterns, BUT game shouldnt give so much occasion for being toxic. Wide gameplay diversity it's a way to give people another possibilities and game realization. When u could take Moonking with same effectivity and wouldnt raid kicked - who ll get worse?

Better Gamebalance making less occasions to be toxic in 100% of cases in 100% of games to 100% of people.
While I don't think running crocolisk will cause a wipe, I do agree with you other than that. It makes no sense for anyone to choose crocolisk, tallstrider, crab, or turtle (and arguably some other pets). It would be really cool to have them tweaked even slightly for more variety.