Make tailoring great again

Jombo

Make tailoring great again

Post by Jombo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:45 am

Hey everyone

I would like to suggest adding a money/time-sink pattern at skill 300 for tailors. Leatherworking has armor scraps, blacksmithing weightstones, but tailoring is just for specific gear and then it's basically over (I know it isn't really, but you get my point). My idea is: shirt improvements.

- For the first time you can actually improve the until now stat-less shirts in the game with minor tailoring improvements such as: +5 fire resistance or +5 frost resistance. The excuse for this would be the tailor's skills at refining the shirts to fit various climates.
- If it is not possible for this to work as enchantments due to engine limitations regarding tailoring, it could simple be new shirts added to the game with these stats. Wool padded shirt (Frost resistance) and Breathable shirt (Fire resistance - i.e. heat)

These enchants would require medium-slightly expensive materials making it a money sink while at the same time not upsetting the balance of the game because the buffs are fairly minimal.

Karmax

Re: Make tailoring great again

Post by Karmax » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:52 am

Hm, not a big fan of turning shirts into gear with stats - let shirts be shirts.

However, tailors could maybe craft "embroidery" similar to the ones introduced with TBC which enhances head and leg items - or probably even shoulder and back items.

Embroidery could either be a tradeable item or attachable via trade window (similar to enchanting).
I have no mount and I must scream.

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:27 pm

Why do people always propose to give player power to the things they want to make more relevant?
There are other ways to make a profession relevant. Tailoring is the only profession which has good RP clothes (suit, villager dress, dungaree, hat, etc). Double down on this aspect by making more RP clothes available (new shirts, new dungarees...) without any stats on them.
Main: Whitemare

Karmax

Post by Karmax » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:24 pm

I wouldn't say that tailoring is the only profession which has good RP outfits - blacksmiths for example can also craft some nice RP armour.

Anyways, I agree with the rest of your post - it doesn't always have to be useful things from a min-maxing point of view.

I like kilts for example and have always mourned the fact there are so few available.

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Lahire my suggestion is to make tailoring more useful to everyone. Yours is a proposal solely for RPers - which is hardly "more relevant" to everyone. I think you should make your own suggestion instead of sabotaging this one.

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 pm

Player power is not for everyone neither. That's a retail fallacy to put stats on things to make them relevant. Some kinds of players don't care about optimizing their resistances or %Crit or whatever gear system.

Your suggestion leans in the same fallacy that made retail into existence : everything must be player power, gear progression and /flex focus. At the end, there is nothing left for other kinds of players than achievers.

BTW if you make a suggestion on this forum, it is implied you accept that people can have an opinion about it. So your dismissal is off tone.

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Of course you are free to make your opinion clear, I simply think RP gear was something offtopic. But alright, if you see it that way.

Well, the minor stat increase is just that: *minor*. It doen't make any real difference and also it is actually RP friendly since warm clothes could, in fact, add some resistance against the cold.
Therefore it will be win-win for gameplay and RP purposes.

Karmax

Post by Karmax » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:32 pm

I don't know how transmogrification works on this server as it is currently not available, but that's another subject to keep in mind.

If transmogrification ever makes its comeback I definitely see demand for good-looking outfits - both from RPers and non-RPers.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:40 am

Only iconic first time kills shirts have a minor stat applied to them.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Valadorn

Post by Valadorn » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am

I dont know, I kinda agree with special shirts giving minor resistances

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:23 pm

I would be glad to see cloth patches introduced which would restore some durability of cloth gear and increase its pool for 20-30 minutes by 20.

Leatherworkers and Blacksmiths could have their own version for each type of gear too.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Tarluk

Post by Tarluk » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:10 am

The idea of shirts giving stats goes against the entire point that shirts exist in the first place. Even if these "stat shirts" have something so overwhelmingly minor like a single point of Resistance on them, people will still wear those because it is better than nothing.
Main character: Keldren

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:49 pm

BANNERS

Give tailors the ability to create a myriad types of banners with various slogans on them. Banners that one would plant in the ground.

Make the drops from the world. We need a lot more niche stuff in the world as drops to keep people out there. Maybe even in dungeons.

We're talking a lot about the principle of player power and using shirts as an example. OK, fair enough. It brought up discussion about player power, and that's legit.

However, I'd also like to restart conversation about cool creative ideas for such a thing.
Last edited by Merikkinon on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:16 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:23 pm
I would be glad to see cloth patches introduced which would restore some durability of cloth gear and increase its pool for 20-30 minutes by 20.

Leatherworkers and Blacksmiths could have their own version for each type of gear too.
Agreed. This is a good idea as well!

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 am

Savage UNDERWEAR

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 am

Can we have a top hat ? smiling_turtle_head

Paw