Rethinking Glyph Scribes

Merikkinon

Rethinking Glyph Scribes

Post by Merikkinon » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:02 am

Recent update removed the gaming glyphs from Speedy turtle companion, and put them with the Scribe in each starter zone. I can grasp the want to have Speedy just be about the Donation Shop items.

I think this is a bit of a mistake in implementation. Or a half-measure. Solution offered at end, but here are the arguments:

There are some problems with the glyphs that represent inconsistent nature of 'having' them in your possession.

1) Diplomacy only works if it is in your bags/keyring.

2) Twinking works regardless of where it is - bank, bag, keyring.

2) Exhaustion, and Turtle and HC (I believe) only works if it is in your bags/keyring.

The kicker is 'Twinking'. It is ALWAYS ON.

Previously, players could throttle their accumulation of XP by taking the glyph from Speedy for a bit, then ditching it. This allowed for a decent coverage of all quests if people were wanting to get max rep as they went through leveling up. This doesn't happen anymore.

Why is the Twinking glyph in the starter zone and not in the main cities (where most people will be frequenting later in the game when they would want to move into perma-Twink status). NO ONE does that at level one, right?

SOLUTION #1: make the 'Twinking' glyph only active if it is in your bag/keyring (NOT bank) <-- PREFERRED

SOLUTION #2: have the Starter Zone 'Junior Scribe', and create 'Master Scribes' in the main cities with all of the glyphs.

Sinrek

Re: Rethinking Glyph Scribes

Post by Sinrek » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:38 pm

Both solutions sound viable.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am

Sinrek wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:38 pm
While we are at this... All glyphs having the same icon start being confusing, both in the new vendor interface and in keyring (harder to check which ones I already have and which I missed, need to mouse-over). Maybe return to the old way, and give them different icons as they were at the days of olde? (same icons as those used for their modes in spellbook would be consistent and eye-pleasant)

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 am

Tortuga wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am
Sinrek wrote:
While we are at this... All glyphs having the same icon start being confusing, both in the new vendor interface and in keyring (harder to check which ones I already have and which I missed, need to mouse-over). Maybe return to the old way, and give them different icons as they were at the days of olde? (same icons as those used for their modes in spellbook would be consistent and eye-pleasant)
Indeed. Good catch.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 pm

Torta indicated in a bug report that I put in that the Twinking-Always-On was a code issue, and will be made to operate like all the others (inactive when in the player's bank).

As to the Master scribe, I think a lot of people would like to see it, like if all of a sudden they decided they wanted to attempt some element of the various challenges via glyphs.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 pm

Tortuga wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am
Sinrek wrote:

Great idea. That would be helpful.